New to Me 2012 Passat TDI SE with Manual Trans

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
Last night I picked up a grey 2012 manual Passat from a VW delearship. Thought i was super lucky, as i owned this car before and loved it, but sold the previous one, which was white, back to VW under the Dieselgate settlement. I have always missed my white one. I was a little curious as to why the previous owner of this grey one didn't participate in the VW settlement and have VW buy it back as there is no fix for this car, i know the previous owner sold it back only at the beginning of October which was after the deadline to register for the settlement. maybe they just didn't know about it... idk.

anyways. drove 20 miles home last night feeling great and lucky! then this morning on my way to work the check engine light came on.... throwing these P240FEGR flap, P2459 deisel particulate filter regen frequency. P2002 trap efficiency, P0401 Exhaust gas recirculation insufficient... so back to the dealership it went. They promised to take care of everything and i would hear from them this afternoon after they had a chance to check out the car..... will see how this goes....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
How many miles on it? and what was the price?

Sadly there's no extended warranty from VWoA, only thing that's gonna help is that you just bought it from a dealer, it might be cheaper for the dealer to just buy the car back from you at the sale price than toss their money into fixing the emissions system.

I smell as DPF delete and a tune in your future!

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
Sorry for the delayed response, wife gave birth 1 day after my original post!!! and only now do i have an update to the situation.

car has 124k on the clock. I paid less than what i got out of my settlement for the exact same car with almost identical miles!

Update, dropped the car back at the dealership after a week they wanted to put me into another Passat. I told them i wasn't interested, as the 2012 manual has a better interior than any other model year, i.e. it has dual climate control! which isn't an option for manuals after 2012. Plus it doesn't have the "fix." They looked and obviously couldn't find another.
They had the shop go through the car to figure out what it needs. and that includes DPF filter, EGR flap, battery, both cooling fans, and a few other items. in grand total at the company's costs the parts are a little over $3k! yikes.
on monday i worked a deal out where they agreed to buy all the parts and i would do the labor. All in all, they are losing money on the deal and I am comfortable with the outcome.
I am highly considering tuning it, but i am in an emissions area, so don't think i can get away with a full DPF delete. will have to do some research. The turbo was just replaced less than 20K miles ago, and after these repairs, the only big ticket wear item is the clutch

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I don't understand. How did a VW dealership sell you an un-fixed TDI on 10-22-18? There is no fix for those cars, so I figured if they were sold back that they had to be crushed. I don't see how they were able to sell it.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
the car was not bought back under the settlement. It was traded in after the deadline to register for the settlement. My only thought is the previous owner either intended to keep it, but then the maintenance came up, or somehow they had no idea of dieselgate.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like it falls under option three, "do nothing and face market conditions", and was traded in outside of VWoA actions.

Amazing that the dealer would cough up that coin on parts alone just to keep you in the car, I guess thats the risk they take hawking used cars.

FYI I'm in emissions area too, but looking around at all the 3/4 ton trucks with dual 6" stacks, inspection stations enjoy their extra $20 for turning a blind eye and slapping a sticker on anything that rolls through their door.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
" ...I have a bad feeling about this... "
Why do I think the dealership will quickly learn of it's folly and hereafter deny any "warranty" work of any kind?
Is a car that has bypassed the "buyback", and is functioning (illegally breaking Federal law?), similar to a gray/black market car?
This seems like a true high-risk purchase, but of course, that's my opinion.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
" ...I have a bad feeling about this... "
Why do I think the dealership will quickly learn of it's folly and hereafter deny any "warranty" work of any kind?
Is a car that has bypassed the "buyback", and is functioning (illegally breaking Federal law?), similar to a gray/black market car?
This seems like a true high-risk purchase, but of course, that's my opinion.
The dealership wont be on the hook for long...

Seeing as there is no fix for it, there is no extended warranty.

Seeing as it has over 75k miles, it's not CPO.

So it is truly a As Is used car.

Most states have a 30 day warranty, so that may be all they are on the hook for.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
who ever bought the car for the dealer to resell will get an ear full real quick.

Also as for it being a "black market car" there's no such thing, VW has hit their % of fixed/bough back cars, states took the blood money and VW admitted they can't fix the small number of 12-14 6MT TDI out there and pulled the plug (prob the smallest % of TDI's sold of any CR car).

Motor on, no one will give too hoots about your unicorn.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
True, i bought the car As Is. The dealership has stepped up and are taking care of it. They worked with me and gave several options to resolve the situation. We worked together and they let me choose which option i wanted to take. I am happy with the outcome, but was not happy during the process.

considering the previous maintenance records and now these new parts. I am confident with my decision and look forward to being back in a non-fixed manual tdi!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
plan on a delete and tune to make it awesome again