Change Wiper Blades, Keep Wind Spolier?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I need to replace the wiper blades in my 2001 Golf. I want to use Anco (spelling?). How do I get the old ones out and the new ones in while retaining the wind spoiler on the driver's side wiper?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I did kind of a meager writup HERE . You might want to check it out. It's pretty easy with a little finesse.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
For my Bug, I only replace the rubber refills. Important to keep the metal pieces in the rubber. I use Lexor refills size B.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I did not keep the wind spoiler and I pay dearly..no wiper action over 100km/h due to wind lift.
Does anybody have a used spoiler for me?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes Tom, I know there are OEM replacements from VW. My aim is to spend a lot less. I should have bought them from VW when I was in Canada last week.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That does it for my technical skill. Over my head.

"transplant the old metal reinforcement strips into the new inserts..."

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Impex lists a wind vane driver's side blade for $10.63, a passenger side blade for $17.80 and a pair of wiper inserts for $9.20. What are these inserts all about and are they easy to install?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Ken, the inserts are what you seek. Yes, they are tricky to install if you have never performed the task before but it's not a big deal. 2nd time around you'll be an expert!

SchnellTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, Red
Here is my two cents on the wipers: First The right wiper from the factory is curved to follow the windshield's curve. This requires you to reuse the factory metal strips. I made the mistake of installing the BOSCH replacements from the aftermarket only to have problems. In Germany, you can buy the curved wiper blades with inserts in most any store, also in a pair pack which includes a left side one with a spoiler. Lastly the Golf I just rented in Germany had the newer Passat type arms and blades which will most likely be installed on the 2004 Golf/Jettas here.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
The rubber portion of your blade will remove from the wiper arm. There are small 'claws' of metal on the secondary swivel portions of the main arm. If you look at how the blade itself is attached to the two swiveling sub-parts of the main blade assy, you will see the small 'claws' that the insert slips through and retain the rubber blade itself. Along the sides of the rubber insert, you will see the two chrome metal strips I referred to. At the end of the rubber blade, one of the 4 'claws' sit in indents in the rubber insert. The rest just sit in the groove along the length of the insert. This is what keeps the blade from just slipping back out of the 4 'claws' that form the 'channel' or path the blade sits in. After you locate the end of the rubber blade insert that has the indents in it and the 'pincher claws' inserted into them, you just grab, pull and wiggle the rubber part free of the claws. Once free, you can back out the rubber insert and free it from the 2 swivel units and main wiper arm. Once the insert is out, you will see two small strips of metal that sit in grooves along the length of the rubber insert.. in fact they will probably fall out of the groove if you don't take measures to keep them there. The metal strips provide rigidity to the floppy rubber part between the 'claw' support points on the swivels that attach to the main wiper arm portion (whew). The new narrow inserts have no metal strips to them so you will need to transplant the old support stips to the new inserts. There are little 'hooks' at the ends of the metal strips that must face the rubber side of the insert. Looking at the new insert, one side has the indents for the 'claw' to fit into and also an indent in the channel for the metal strip. Just put the 'hook' side of the metal strip in the groove, don't let it face out. Note that the 'claws' fit into a seperate groove on the wiper insert than the metal strips do. The metal strips fit in the upper groove, the ends of the claws fit into the groove closest to the wiper portion of the insert (the part that touches the windshield). That groove is wider also. Holding the two strips into the grooves provided on the insert, start spooling the whole works through the 4 'claws' 'till you reach the last one. Once there, force, wiggle, push the blade until the claw pops into the dents and keeps the whole works from slipping back out under use. This all sounds really long winded but if you look carefully at how the rubber blade portion fits into the wiper arm assembly, it should become apparent what parts I'm referring to and what I mean. If all this is still too confused, have a buddy or 'eager to please' autoparts counterperson help you out. Some inserts have the 'metal strips' incorporated into them as plastic. You won't need to swap them that way, just insert the new rubber blade part through the 'claws' and swivels until the end and pop it into the indents to keep it there. My fingers and brain hurts now, I need a nap... hope you figure it out.

P.S. I should be explained that the inserts are just the rubber portion of the wiper assemblies. You don't get the arm or any of the other parts you normally think of when you say 'wipers'. Also, the reason it's preferable to replace just them as they are cheaper and truly all that needs replacing unless something else is worn out or broken. Make sure you buy the NARROW inserts. The part number usually ends in an 'N', such as 21N. Get at least 21" long as that is the longest (on my Golf anyways) you will need. After installing, just cut the extra off on the shorter arms.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
HAHAHAHAHA... I guess we're down to the 'eager to please' autoparts guy...

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Shoot My dealer's service writer puts them on FREE if you pay 20$ for the inserts. great deal on a 10 part. Not.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Help! I got the passenger side wiper arm off, have Anco refills in hand, but can't get the damn rubber blade out of the arm. It slides easily except for the little black curve around clamp on the other end. What do I do?

DonCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Silver Beetle GLS
I threw out my wind deflectored OEM blades accidentally too. After trying a few brands, I have found that the ANCO Aerovantage blades are very good at staying on the windshield. They are a snap-in assembly and cost about $7 each for the 21 inchers at Autozone.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Use more elbow grease... the rubber WILL lose the battle, flex and come free of those pincers of death... Wiggle from side to side as you are pulling.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got the thing off and replaced. NOW I see how to replace the blade the easy way (just take it to a dealer). My next hurdle is reattaching the wiper arm to the metal post sticking out of the hood.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Even after 4 yrs ...I still have my OEM wipers and I've since installed only 2 sets of the Lexor "Narrow B" rubber inserts. My opinion, the best wipers are the OEM. Just replace the rubber inserts....you'll save your sanity, and avoid the wiper blade shuffle game.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Glad you reached success on this harrowing project. I'd hate to think all that typing was in vain...
I hope you aren't throwing in the towel now that you've gone all 12 rounds. My first one took a bit of struggling getting the insert free of the arm but... The last one I did took about 4-5 mins total, from start to finish. The way the detents are shaped (ramped), they go back in easier than they come out. I hope you had a cold one to celebrate your hard fought victory !!!

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I played the theme from Rocky when I completed the job. Has anyone tried those silicone wiper blades? Any good, long lasting?

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Herm TDI said:
Even after 4 yrs ...I still have my OEM wipers and I've since installed only 2 sets of the Lexor "Narrow B" rubber inserts. My opinion, the best wipers are the OEM. Just replace the rubber inserts....you'll save your sanity, and avoid the wiper blade shuffle game.
Easy for you to say - you didn't lose/throw out those damn metal strips the first time you replaced the wiper blades!

(OK - it wasn't the first time. The first time I did option #2 and had service replace them for 'free' when I bought the $20 set. It was the second time around that I took matters into my own hands, and with wild abandon, WITHOUT THE AID OF A BENTLEY MANUAL, replaced my OWN wiper blades
That's when all hell broke loose!)

Now I have Bosch. I bought the whole thing - the rubber and the piece that holds the rubber. I was able to remove the plastic wing from the OEM's and attach it to the new blade.

...and I'm STILL not happy. My driver's side has always skipped on the upsweep, towards the end of travel. These Bosch's are no different. I'm about ready to pop $20 for one Silblade - just for the driver's side. The pass. side has always been fine.

I almost bought the whole new euro blade set-up, arms and blades, for $90-$100. Still might, but waiting to see what the "pioneers" think of the new technology...

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
We have the new all in one aeroblades on the Passat. Besides for being ugly as hell their wiping action is just like on the Golf. You cannot replace the rubber inserts and replacements are around $30 each

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Actually, you can replace just the rubber inserts. Someone here on the forum (I think it was Ted_Grozier), discovered how to do that, and I believe he got the replacements from Impex.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I've been using ANSCO blades since fall of '00, I tried the blades with the dot and didn't like them. Large pliers got rid of OEM blades and now a blade change is a 45 second job for both sides.

luckyjoe

TDI
Jetta Variant, 2003, Candy White
Mass. Wine Guy said:
Has anyone tried those silicone wiper blades? Any good, long lasting?
I have the Silblade brand on another vehicle (my Jetta isn't quite two months old!). These blades have been on for over four years (half of that prior to a garage), and they are basically good as new! THey have not exhibited ANY of the normal aging that you get with rubber blades.

Tom P.
2003 Jetta Wagon

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I buy my inserts from Impex, genuine VW part. They seem to work very well, better than all the aftermarket inserts I have tried. I have an 'other brand' on the rear right now and it leaves stripes on the upstroke only. I've tried silicone on other cars and didn't have much luck. Maybe it's time to try again.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
If they're skipping, a slight twist of the wiper arm should cure it.
Turn off the ignition as the wipers approach the problem area so they stop, then go look at the blade. Push it a bit to each side, you'll find it'll flop over to one side more than the other. If you lift the arm slightly, the wiping wdge of the blade should be perpendicular to the screen. You can use an adjustable spanner ( wrap the arm in cloth first) to twist it until perpendicular. That should stop the judder!

tsterkel

Veteran Member
Went out for Anco Premium 31, top rated by Consumer's Reports, and was talked into Trico "Teflon" replacements.
Very unhappy with the replacement, so I did some surgery,
and placed the Trico in the VW OEM arm w/wind deflector.

Directions here are what I did, before I saw the directions.
the adjustment, after insertion takes some finesse, but this does work!