BRM knocking

mnbrown25

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I have a project ‘06 BRM. I don’t know hardly any history on the motor. There was a worn out cam and lifters in the trunk when I bought it at auction, which leads me to think that it has a fresh cam. The motor has a prominent knock, and the VCDS returns a code for boost pressure regulation. I have pulled the lifter cover and inspected the cam. The cam looks very fresh and I don’t observe any wear. Since the rest of the car is in good shape, I’m thinking that a motor swap is a good option, but I’d like to run down the source of the knock. Looking for some advice on where to go from here. I’ve attached a link to a short clip of the engine noise:
https://youtu.be/SBPohycf-tU

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
That noise does not sound at all like a knock to me, rather, it sounds like a top end noise. I would pull the cylinder head cover off and use Franko6's method of adjusting the injector clearance first. If it still makes that noise, it could alternatively be a bad valve lifter. I am not a professional mechanic though, and I might be wrong about everything.