www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old October 21st, 2018, 07:50   #1
superduty_59

Default Tpms

This is my second TDI. I still have a 2001 Beetle 5 speed TDI and now just bought our 2015 Passat 6MT TDI SE with 46K. I just bought at a smaller used car lot. The TPMS light was on. Salesman said they got the car with the stock black steel (hubcap style) wheels and they put on a set of "after market" 18" wheels with brand new tires. I really like the wheels and to be honest I found the car online and what set this car apart was the slick looking wheels. They are brand new but have a VW emblem in the center. Maybe not aftermarket but I've never seen these before. Anyways... I test drove the car and the TPMS light was on the dash. I asked the salesman and he said that they put new wheels on the car and must have not put the sensors in the new wheels. He then says that I am welcomed to also take the 4 tires/wheels that came off the car and swap out the sensors.

I was just reading something and apparently the 2015's don't use TPMS sensors and take a reading from the ABS wheels speed sensors, correct? If so then Just push the reset button in the glovebox and the light should go off, correct?

Thanks
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 08:35   #2
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Your car does/did not have sensors in the rims. Unless the previous owner installed his own sensors. Reading is via ABS.
I had the light come on and had to disable via Ross-Tech VCDS.
Maybe you'll get lucky and pushing the button in the glove compartment will disable it.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 10:13   #3
superduty_59

Thanks JP. Is there a procedure to reset or push the button anytime?
Old October 21st, 2018, 10:27   #4
joshuafail

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty_59 View Post
Thanks JP. Is there a procedure to reset or push the button anytime?
Set correct pressures on all 4 tires. Start car. Pop glovebox, push and HOLD the TPMS button until you hear a single chime on the dash.

It's very important correct pressures are set on all 4 tires- if one is over/underfilled, the TMPS system will "think" that is the correct pressure and set the light off should it change.
joshuafail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 16:21   #5
Snizzbob

I have found that you HAVE to be rolling forward at 5-10mph in a straight line while holding the button in the glove box for it to reset.
Snizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 18:17   #6
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Must be different from the MK VII MQB platform with the same ABS TPS system. It resets with the car standing still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snizzbob View Post
I have found that you HAVE to be rolling forward at 5-10mph in a straight line while holding the button in the glove box for it to reset.

Last edited by 1854sailor; November 3rd, 2018 at 08:46.
1854sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 20:56   #7
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Well, first of all, the TDI never came with steel wheels with hubcaps in ANY trim level.

The previous owner took the original wheels off to sell and slapped on a set of steelies when he sold it back to Vw on the buyback. I would take them up on their offer, and sell them on Craigslist or something so you could recover some cash. Probably only get $250.

But as was mentioned above, there are no sensors in the Passat. Hasn’t been since 2010.

Look in the top left corner of the glove box. You should see two buttons. One is the Valet lockout, the other is the TPMS reset.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 06:22   #8
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

I'm guessing you are missing the owners manual as well, the procedure is documented in there if you have it.

I have never had to have my car moving to reset. I also have never had the car running, in fact when I did try to reset mine with the car running it wouldn't reset.

The following is from approximately page 191 of the 2015 owners manual. I highlighted the part about how to reset the warning.

Resetting and recalibrating the benchmark tire pressure

The SET button for the Tire Pressure Monitoring System is in the glove compartment ⇒ fig. 133. The

SET button resets the benchmark tire pressure used by the TPMS to the current tire pressure in the tires based on the circumference of the tires.

To reset the TPMS, switch on the ignition and then press and hold the SET button until you hear a confirmation chime. The chime usually sounds after a couple of seconds.

The SET button must be pressed for at least 2 seconds but no more than 30 seconds each time the tire pressure in one or more tires has been adjusted or after one or more tires has been changed, exchanged, or repaired. The new tire pressures are stored in the system only after at least 20 minutes of normal driving.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 07:24   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snizzbob View Post
while it'll work, sitting in the car with the ignition on is all that's needed to reset the TMPS.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 13:22   #10
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

On a side note, i would verify that the car has the correct size tires on it
06bluebeetletdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 14:55   #11
superduty_59

Thanks for all the replies! I verified the correct tire pressure in all 4 tires. With car running i hit the reset button and held it till I heard the chime. The light went out and we drove 120 miles yesterday and it's still off today. The new wheels are 18" and the tires are 235/45 ZR18. The old wheels and tires are 215/55/R17 so they did an Up Size. I agree the previous (1 owner) probably kept the nice wheels and stuck these steelies on when he took the buyback.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:28   #12
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06bluebeetletdi View Post
On a side note, i would verify that the car has the correct size tires on it

TPSM doesn't care what size tires you are running, each reset it relearns what should be "correct" rolling circumference of each wheel.

When switching between summers and winters (both different circumferences) TPMS is happy to relearn the larger winter tires.

On the Alltrack I run about 3/4" taller tire than "stock" no issues.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote