www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old August 14th, 2018, 06:21   #1
saucer
Veteran Member

Default Race Chip or other piggyback tune?

Haven't found much regarding this, but after a couple of weeks in my '15 Passat, I'm feeling like the fix has definitely impacted performance. I'm not used to driving a car this large (and haven't touched a DSG in over ten years) but can't imagine VW releasing a car that performs like this.

Back when I was researching the purchase, I found talk of a 3-5% decrease in HP and fuel economy from the VW de-tune, but in my hilly town, even "S" mode is feeling sluggish.

I'm desperate more power and quicker response, but considering the extended warranties bestowed upon us by VW (and my dealership) I'm realllllly hesitant to buy a permanent ECU flash.

Has anyone in here tried a piggyback module? Neuspeed has pretty good reviews regarding their Power Module on other VW platforms, but doesn't seem to make one for the 2.0TDI.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Race Chip, but it looks like they should have the NMS covered (fingers crossed).

EDIT: Anyone have experience with this VCDS mod? https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...leration-Tweak

Last edited by saucer; August 14th, 2018 at 06:30.
saucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 07:44   #2
740GLE
Veteran Member

I've done the throttle response mod on my Alltrack, and Golf MQB TDI owners have reported success and improvements, but thats MQB.

I haven't tried on our Passat, its a mix of Mk5 cluster, MK7 ECU, who knows what for the ABS.

As for a piggy back, they are more popular in UK and not really much info or first hand experience in the US. Big thing to be aware of is the UK and Euro spec cars don't get the exact same engine/ECU as we have.

The Neusped and JB1/4 units used on the Mk7 TSIs do work well but bear in mind, the number of sensors on the newer TSI engine are a pittance compared to the NA TDI. No MAF, no EGTs, they have a TMAP and that's about it. The ECU simulates tons of parameters of the engine that the TDI gets real live data from. So it takes a lot less to fake the ECU into producing more power.

I think one guy in the US did report installing one, search in the Power Enhancement folder.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 17:03   #3
saucer
Veteran Member

Great info, thank you!
Old August 14th, 2018, 18:00   #4
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Spend the money and get a proper tune from Malone Stage 2 or from Kerma. Pay the extra and buy the Flashzilla tool that lets you remove the Stage 2 and revert back to OEM if you have to take the car to the dealer for some major work. Then after you get the car back re-install the Stage 2.

What you are talking about is a "Tuning box" and all it does is fool the ECU but it is not the same as a real tune! You can bu those on eBay for peanuts. If I remember right there was/is a way of doing it yourself by adding a resistor, that's really all a tuning box is. Don't ask me the value or where it might go.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.

Last edited by Jetta_Pilot; August 14th, 2018 at 18:03.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 05:27   #5
740GLE
Veteran Member

Some other threads about tuning

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=486668

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476426

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478957

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=26
This was one that stuck in my head about tuning boxes.

Last edited by 740GLE; August 15th, 2018 at 05:30.
Old August 15th, 2018, 11:30   #6
saucer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Spend the money and get a proper tune from Malone Stage 2 or from Kerma. Pay the extra and buy the Flashzilla tool that lets you remove the Stage 2 and revert back to OEM if you have to take the car to the dealer for some major work. Then after you get the car back re-install the Stage 2.
Awesome, I was not aware of the Flashzilla, that allows for a flash-from-home!

I'm a little confused about the stages though. There does not appear to be a Stage 1/Flashzilla combo for sale; is this why you've recommended Stage 2? I feel like that's overkill for this chassis, especially if someone like me isn't considering any hardware mods...
Old August 15th, 2018, 17:38   #7
Owain@malonetuning

It's designed around stock components with reliability in mind, delete files are slightly different. DSG tuning helps a bit too for bottom end spool since these files are close to the limits of stock transmission software, isn't required though. Worst case we can just dial it back a hair, all of our tunes are customizable. Agreed on not having other ea288 files listed, been too busy the last year to do much marketing or change the front end of the site around much to be honest, will get to it

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; August 15th, 2018 at 17:41.
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 20:55   #8
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

Owain, pm me, if had it with my fixed 13's lack of response. Already been rear ended and had to pay $1200 for them not to total the car when a light turned green as we were slowing down, the car fell flat on its face and a guy in a chev truck ate my A$$ Im ready for a flashzilla and order 2 tunes, one for the stock exhaust and one deleted for after parts fall off in mexico
2009 Highlander Hybrid aka the HIHY 25MPG
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4

Last edited by jrm; August 15th, 2018 at 20:58.
jrm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 06:03   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quite frankly what you described is more a DSG issue than a tune issue, (although I'm sure the tune didn't help). If your slowing down the DSG downshifts as you slow down, if you stop on it to accelerate at the green light, it's gotta spin up that lower gear then engage it, which takes time before the power can be applied.

If the car was in manual mode this would have prob been a moot point
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:35   #10
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucer View Post
There does not appear to be a Stage 1/Flashzilla combo for sale; .

There is NO combo for sale. Stage 2 is the most popular. You buy each separately, the Tune and the Flashzilla !!!
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Old October 6th, 2018, 08:28   #11
Swinging Steel

Fuel Economy: 50-NMS, 43-Wagon

I have a few questions...

Is it possible to tune 2 different cars with one flashzilla? We have a fixed 2013 sportwagen tdi and a fixed 2015 Passat tdi.. both manual transmissions. I'm really interested in storing the stock tunes for when they both go in for warranty service, but I'm not crazy about buying 2 flashzilla devices.

Is it possible/recommended to retain all stock exhaust components with this tuning? Ideally I would like not to spend time and money taking out a dpf if it's not necessary.... Especially with warranty issues that are almost sure to happen.

How do these tunes affect the way (in the case of the Passat) DEF is used?
What about dpf and egr functionality? Has anyone running these tunes run into issues with any after treatment components? Does tuning compromise service life of these components at all?
Swinging Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2018, 08:58   #12
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Swinging Steel
To the best of my knowledge the Flashzilla (Consumer version) only stores one file, i.e you remove the OEM and install the tuned file.

With a Stage 2 tune you do not have to change any other components on the car.
In my opinion, anyone who goes for a Stage 1 or 1.5 sooner or later will want the Stage 2, so do it right off the bat. Look at it this way, unless you are a total idiot who has a real bad lead foot you will or can damage components of the car. You will have better pickup and passing power and uphill power/torque which should mean the tranny shifts to a lower gear later.

You can do the DSG tune for improvements such as NO LAG from a dead stop ! Malone Tuning says the DSG tune is not necessary but it adds nice improvements. But the lag is something which affects any car which uses a DSG type transmission. Other manufacturers may have a different name but the tranny works the same way.
Here is a link to explain how a DSG tranny works:
Old October 6th, 2018, 13:26   #13
Swinging Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Swinging Steel
With a Stage 2 tune you do not have to change any other components on the car.
In my opinion, anyone who goes for a Stage 1 or 1.5 sooner or later will want the Stage 2, so do it right off the bat. Look at it this way, unless you are a total idiot who has a real bad lead foot you will or can damage components of the car. You will have better pickup and passing power and uphill power/torque which should mean the tranny shifts to a lower gear later.
You can do the DSG tune for improvements such as NO LAG from a dead stop ! Malone Tuning says the DSG tune is not necessary but it adds nice improvements. But the lag is something which affects any car which uses a DSG type transmission. Other manufacturers may have a different name but the tranny works the same way.
Here is a link to explain how a DSG tranny works:
Why would I elect for a DSG tune if there is no DSG on either car?
Also, I'm aware of the potential for the egt to skyrocket. There was another thread I was reading about tuners not properly setting egt warning limits, and some ppl who have the aforementioned "real bad lead foot" were having problems. Wife and I are not the type of highway track drivers that would make this a concern....but I am wondering what others have experienced as far as dpf/egr/adblue longevity/functionality (good/bad or indifferent) after driving a tune for X miles.
Also, correct me if I'm wrong... to tune both of these rides I'll need to buy 2 flashzillas? Too bad. I really liked the idea of tuning both cars.
Old October 6th, 2018, 13:31   #14
Swinging Steel

....would a VCDS cable help with my situation? Any way it could negate a flashzilla all together?
Old October 7th, 2018, 07:50   #15
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinging Steel View Post
Why would I elect for a DSG tune if there is no DSG on either car?

My bad I missed the "manual".