Brake bleeding problems, rear caliper replacement

mattg

TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-sp, '13 Touareg 3.0 TDI (Wife's)
I can't see to get the system bled and I'm wondering if there is something I am missing here.

I replaced both rear calipers. I did not fill (bench bleed) them prior to putting them on the car. I did let one the right rear caliper sit empty but on the car with everything closed for a day. Bled the system the first time, getting no air on the hose on the bleeder for at least 5 pulls. Same thing on the other caliper. Went to roll the car and I have no brakes till the last inch or so before the pedal hits the floor and they're very weak when they do come on.

I've bled brakes on cars and bikes in the past so I know I'm doing it right. There's a chance the master was dry and sucked air in, but only a slight chance. The first time I put fluid in I put a lot in but I remember seeing fluid in the reservoir so I'm reasonably sure that didn't happen.

The only things I can think of here are air trapped somewhere in the calipers. Could there be something else I'm missing here?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The rear callipers can be a pita to bleed on the Mk4, I replaced both my rears at the same time and also had a hassle bleeding them properly.
I use a pressure bleeder and while I had that connected I gave the calliper a good dunt with a hard piece of wood while bleeding, that seemed to help release trapped bubbles in the actual calliper.
Once I had eventually got all the air out I still felt the pedal travelled to far till one day when I parked on a really steep hill. I had to pull the handbrake up really hard and it travelled pretty far but after my brake pedal felt loads better and the handbrake stopped having as much travel.
It must adjust them up or something.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
There is something in the manual about pre-bleeding them... and also something about holding them at some strange angle for bleeding them.

sorry I don't have access to better information at the moment. My point is that yes, there is something unique about bleeding these - maybe one cannot just put them in empty and bleed them on the car.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to bleed the ABS first, with a scan tool. Then if you loosen the bottom caliper bolt, and tilt them UP just slightly (not so much that the piston comes off the pad) they will bleed better.

But the ABS module needs to be accessed first, to purge the air out of there.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
It also depends on the amount of fluid that leaked out in the change. I've seen many where they were never done and they get corroded in the lines. You need to pressurize from the top end and STAND on the brake pedal to push it through.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You need to bleed the ABS first, with a scan tool. Then if you loosen the bottom caliper bolt, and tilt them UP just slightly (not so much that the piston comes off the pad) they will bleed better.

He didn't run it dry so no need on the abs stuff, I also clamped my flexis at the rear but yeh, they're just a pita to get all the air out.

oilhammer

TDI
He didn't run it dry so no need on the abs stuff, I also clamped my flexis at the rear but yeh, they're just a pita to get all the air out.
You need to use the ABS system to bleed the service brakes. :cool: It is in the Basic Settings.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Once I had eventually got all the air out I still felt the pedal travelled to far till one day when I parked on a really steep hill. I had to pull the handbrake up really hard and it travelled pretty far but after my brake pedal felt loads better and the handbrake stopped having as much travel. It must adjust them up or something.
When replacing the rear pads, the piston needs to be screwed back. After everything is back together, you need to excercise the parking brake a bunch of times to readjust, and take up the slack in the rear brakes. When the slack is taken up, and your parking brake is tight, you're good to go.

It's the regular use of the parking brake that keeps the rear brakes properly adjusted.

mattg

TDI
well, I turned the pistons out on the caliper to get the piston set in its position better and it's drivable again.

mattg

TDI
well, I turned the pistons out on the caliper to get the piston set in its position better and it's drivable again.

But, the pedal bleeds down a bit with heavy but gradual pressure but not so much when you stab the pedal.

guess I've never noticed before. Is that booster or master?

oilhammer

TDI
Have you done this???? :confused:

mattg

TDI
Have you done this???? :confused:

No, I did not bleed the ABS since I'm reasonably sure I didn't let the master run dry.

I did tilt the calipers and move them around and got a tiny bit more air out.

Do you HAVE to bleed the ABS to do any brake bleeding even if there's no air in the system?

oilhammer

TDI
Do the Basic Settings bleed of the ABS system, and go through the Output Test a couple times, then rebleed the brakes like normal. It will make a difference. I improve the feel of many cars' brakes simply by doing the Output Test. That car should have EXCELLENT brakes. Minimal pedal travel, minimal effort, good stopping power, no spongy or fading pedal.

volksukas1

TDI
Golf IV Variant 85 kW TDI PD
Handbrake level on brake calipers

I had such a problem that after the replacement of rear caliper rubber seals, caliper handbrake level did not apply after 1 - 3 mm play, but nearly at the end. On reinstallation the caliper cilinder should not turned inside more than needed to fit around the brake shoes. If turning more, then the hydraulic brake deforms the brake adjustment mechanism and it has to be taken apart for deforming back as it was.​
Good brake bleeding with vag-com as mentioned or with combined bleeding with brake pedal + vacuum pump could also be beneficial. I filled the caliper with brake oil before putting together but I don't know if this is necessary.​

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I prefer a pressure bleeder, you can make one from a cheap garden sprayer for less than $20 and it's the best way available. Just need to make a plug for the master cylinder that mates to the sprayer

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk