Stripped trans case-to-bracket thread fix (02J manual trans)

benson4349

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (ALH, MT)
My transmission-side mount to trans bracket worked itself loose a couple weeks ago. Whomever last touched that mount thought it would be a good idea to use an M14x1.75x50 in one of the holes to reattach the trans bracket to the mount (instead of the correct bolt, N10209605, which is M12x1.5x65). The threads on the transmission bracket were ruined.

I pulled the bracket and had my local machinist repair the threads (much has been said on this forum about time-serting these threads, look it up if interested). I went with my machinist because I didn’t have time for the DIY and I saved some money in the process: I paid him $56 for the job vs. the $100 it would’ve cost to buy the time-sert kit.

Now to the real topic: when I removed the bracket from the trans case, the two threaded trans case bolt holes stripped. Not all of the threads, but enough to make me doubt the ability of the remaining threads to hold when reinstalled.

The VW flange bolts used in these two locations are M10x1.5x80. I figured if I could find a bolt the same size but 10mm longer I’d be able to put a flange nut on the end of the bolt to clamp the trans case and bracket together. HOWEVER, the search for a bolt of this length with at least 50mm worth of thread is challenging! After a bit of looking locally and online, I finally found a hardened Mercedes flange bolt, part 910105010044, which is M10x1.5x90 and has a thread length of 65-70mm It worked like a charm.

There are other ways to solve this problem, but I liked my solution because:
1. It’s cheap (cost me $21 total to have the bolts overnighted from my closest Mercedes dealer and about $2 more for hardened nuts from the hardware store)
2. I’m sure the connection is solid
3. It’s not as invasive a fix as cutting new threads for a larger bolt or installing a thread repair solution.

Last edited: