ABS cable help

timeline

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta waggon TDI
I have a TDI 2002 waggon which the ABS light and code says bad cable or disconnect. Can a bad speed sensor be to blame for this code or is it usually the cable breaking due to flex. What resistance would i measure across the plug at the wheel end to confirm cable is ok? If open, would this confirm a cable break?

I ordered a cable and it was not the original part. the new one had plastic stops which would not feed through the side wall where the other cable went. Is there a part number for my car someone could give? No Manual.

A bit bewildered. Thanks for any help.

Gary

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
Because of my own sheer stupidity and carelessness, I consider myself a bit of an expert on these parts, because I managed to break 2 of them over the past few years on my two 2003 wagons.

First it is certainly possible that it is a bad sensor, but my bet would be no. Clean everything out in there (tone ring, sensor) as they tend to get pretty rusty and see if that fixes it. If not, then make sure you have the correct part. If it is the driver's side, that harness connects to the brake pad wear sensor along with the ABS sensor. The two possible correct parts are: https://www.idparts.com/abs-sensor-harness-a4-p-3039.html
https://www.idparts.com/abs-sensor-harness-brake-pad-sensor-a4-p-3038.html

To replace it, you have to feed the end with the stripped wire ends through the firewall from the wheel well. (I don't believe the plastic connectors will fit through the hole in the firewall.) Then cut the old one off. Cut the old one off closer to the connector end, leaving yourself plenty of extra wire. If you cut it too short, you will find yourself trying to make a soldered connection in a tiny space near the firewall. (Ask me how I know.) The extra length doesn't seem to cause any problem. There is plenty of room inside the engine compartment.