How to reset readiness on my 2003 TDI Jetta ?

flamaest

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 03 GL
Can anybody please tell me how to Reset the Readiness status of my 2003 Jetta without driving? I have a GP CEL and I need to reset the the readiness status after clearing my ODB codes.

Thanks,
Fabian.

flamaest

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 03 GL
Does anyone know how to do this? Hello??

My California SMOG inspection is due very soon and I can't wait a whole week of driving to figure out that the CEL is still there.

Is this done perhaps by turning the engine over a couple of times in a particular pattern like some other cars?

PS: I don't have a VAGCOM, so using this solution is not an option.

Thanks,
Fabian.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
PS: I don't have a VAGCOM, so using this solution is not an option.
Sure it is! Try the vag-com locater at the top of TDI101.

What is CA's latest smog test for light duty diesels? Do they plug into the OBD port?

Tony

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I don't think it can be "reset" with vagcom. It needs to be driven and if you follow a specific set of functions like full throttle warm engine and few other items it will reset. I remember seeing in the bently manual but can't recall the specifics, sorry.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
They do plug in OBD port. I have a same situation. After fixing and clearing the glow plug lite, I took for test. It failed and told to come back after driving 50 miles. I drove more than 100 miles and there is no CEl Yet when I took for retesting, the station's code reader showed amber lite with code P0673 that I had already fixed and cleared. On the other hand, my code reader shows green lite and 0 code.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Clearing the codes sets the OBD monitors to "not ready" status. You will need to drive around for a day or 2 for it to set to "Ready". Any code reader, VAGCOM and the Torque App on Android phone can do this. There's no way to set them "ready" other than driving around.

There's only 3 or 4 monitors IIRC...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I don't think it can be "reset" with vagcom. It needs to be driven and if you follow a specific set of functions like full throttle warm engine and few other items it will reset. I remember seeing in the bently manual but can't recall the specifics, sorry.
It is. But I would just drive it for three days and then check the rediness status with a VCDS. Take a look at what is involved:

Here is a cut and paste from my Bentley CD, but the diagrams do not copy since it is internet based:

Volkswagen > A4 Platform > 1999 - 2005
1.9 Liter 4-Cyl. 2V TDI and TDI PD Generic Scan Tool, Engine Code(s): ALH, BEW
ST - Generic Scan Tool
Readiness code, generating

• The respective fuses of Diesel-Direct fuel injection system must be OK:
  • => Electrical Wiring Diagrams, Troubleshooting & Component Locations
  • Battery voltage must be at least 11.5 volts.
  • All electrical consumers such as, lights and rear window defroster must be switched off.
  • If vehicle is equipped with an A/C system, it must be switched off.
  • Ground (GND) connections between engine and chassis must be OK.
  • There must not be any DTCs stored in DTC memory => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-002-05ST-22, Diagnostic mode 3: Check DTC memory.
  • Vehicles with engine code ALH
  • Coolant temperature must be at least 80 ° C => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-002-03ST-16, Diagnostic mode 1: Check measured values; PID 5, Coolant temperature.
  • Vehicles with engine code BEW
  • Coolant temperature must not be above the maximum of 25 ° C => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-002-03ST-16, Diagnostic mode 1: Check measured values; PID 5, Coolant temperature.
  • Work sequence:
  • Vehicles with engine code ALH => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-003-03ST-51,
  • Vehicles with engine code BEW => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-003-03ST-54.
  • Work sequence (Vehicles with engine code ALH )
  • Connect diagnostic tester => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-001-03ST-7.
  • Switch ignition on.
  • Wait 5 seconds.
  • Let engine run at idle.
  • Wait 45 seconds.
  • Perform a road test.
  • The following operating conditions must be met during this road test:
  • With accelerator pedal depressed completely, accelerate vehicle in 3rd gear or in driving mode "3" from 50 km/h to 120 km/h.
  • Drive for 2 minutes in 4th gear or in driving mode "D" on a level driving surface at a constant vehicle speed with an engine speed of 1700 to 1900 RPM.
  • Observe the safety precautions that apply to road tests => page VW-A4-FU14-23-001-1223-46.
  • Note:
  • Vehicle speed => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-002-03ST-16, Diagnostic mode 1: Check measured values; PID 13, Vehicle speed.
  • Engine speed => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-002-03ST-16, Diagnostic mode 1: Check measured values; PID 12, engine rotations per minute (RPM).
  • Park vehicle and switch off ignition.
  • Wait 15 seconds.
  • Switch ignition on.
  • Wait 5 seconds.
  • Wait 45 seconds.
  • Perform a road test again.
  • With accelerator pedal depressed completely, accelerate vehicle in 3rd gear or in driving mode "3" from 50 km/h to 120 km/h.
  • Drive for 2 minutes in 4th gear or in driving mode "D" on a level driving surface at a constant vehicle speed with an engine speed of 1700 to 1900 RPM.
  • Observe the safety precautions that apply to road tests => page VW-A4-FU14-23-001-1223-46.
  • Park vehicle and let engine run at idle for 3 minutes.
  • Accelerator pedal must not be operated during this time.
  • Read readiness code => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-003-02ST-48.
  • If a 1 is displayed instead of a 0 in the 8-digit number block:
  • Repeat complete work procedure => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-003-03ST-51
  • Work sequence (vehicles with engine code BEW)
  • Connect diagnostic tester => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-001-03ST-7.
  • Switch ignition on.
  • Wait 5 seconds.
  • Wait 45 seconds.
  • Perform a road test.
  • Bring coolant temperature to at least 85 ° C via road test => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-002-03ST-16, Diagnostic mode 1: Check measured values; PID 5, Coolant temperature.
  • Drive for 20 seconds in 4th gear or in driving mode "D" on a level driving surface at a constant vehicle speed with an engine speed of 1700 to 1900 RPM.
  • Accelerate vehicle to 100 km/h.
  • Drive for 2 minutes in 5th gear or in driving mode "D" on a level driving surface at a constant vehicle speed of 100 km/h (no deceleration).
  • Then from 100 km/h, decelerate (do not brake) in 5th gear or in driving mode "D" to 900 RPM.
  • Note:
  • Vehicle speed => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-002-03ST-16, Diagnostic mode 1: Check measured values; PID 13, Vehicle speed.
  • Engine speed => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-002-03ST-16, Diagnostic mode 1: Check measured values; PID 12, engine rotations per minute (RPM).
  • Switch ignition off.
  • Switch ignition on again.
  • Let engine cool off:
  • Coolant temperature must not be above the maximum of 25 ° C => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-002-03ST-16, Diagnostic mode 1: Check measured values; PID 5, Coolant temperature.
  • Wait 45 seconds.
  • Perform a road test again.
  • Bring coolant temperature to at least 85 ° C via road test => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-002-03ST-16, Diagnostic mode 1: Check measured values; PID 5, Coolant temperature.
  • Drive for 20 seconds in 4th gear or in driving mode "D" on a level driving surface at a constant vehicle speed with an engine speed of 1700 to 1900 RPM.
  • Accelerate vehicle to 100 km/h.
  • Drive for 2 minutes in 5th gear or in driving mode "D" on a level driving surface at a constant vehicle speed of 100 km/h (no deceleration).
  • Then from 100 km/h, decelerate (do not brake) in 5th gear or in driving mode "D" to 900 RPM.
  • Note:
  • Read readiness code => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-003-02ST-48.
  • If a 1 is displayed instead of a 0 in the 8-digit number block:
  • Repeat complete work procedure => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-003-03ST-51
--Nate

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
setting readiness for A4 ALH 5 speed manual

I was not getting readiness for weeks after fixing and reseting a CEL. Following the above procedure with added notes below worked for me. This is just clarifying the procedure just for ALH 5 speed manual.

Work sequence:

Vehicles with engine code ALH => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-003-03ST-51,
Work sequence (Vehicles with engine code ALH )
Connect diagnostic tester => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-001-03ST-7.

Switch ignition on.
Wait 5 seconds.
(Switch engine on.)
Let engine run at idle.
Wait 45 seconds.

Perform a road test. The following operating conditions must be met during this road test:

With accelerator pedal depressed completely, accelerate vehicle in 3rd gear from 31 to 75 MPH (50 to 120 kph).
Shift to 4th gear and slow to 60 MPH.

Turn on cruise control and set to 60 MPH.
Drive for 2 minutes in 4th gear on a level driving surface at a constant vehicle speed with an engine speed of 1700 to 1900 RPM.

Park vehicle and switch off ignition.
Wait 15 seconds.
Switch ignition on.
Wait 5 seconds.
(Switch engine on.)
Let engine run at idle.
Wait 45 seconds.

Perform a road test again. The following operating conditions must be met during this road test:

With accelerator pedal depressed completely, accelerate vehicle in 3rd gear from 31 to 75 MPH (50 to 120 kph).
Shift to 4th gear and slow to 60 MPH.

Turn on cruise control and set to 60 MPH.
Drive for 2 minutes in 4th gear on a level driving surface at a constant vehicle speed with an engine speed of 1700 to 1900 RPM.

Park vehicle and let engine run at idle for 3 minutes.
Accelerator pedal must not be operated during this time.

Mountain TDI

TDI
2002 and 2003 Jettas and 2015 Passat 6M

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
I would avoid doing a smog test unless you have readiness. If you fail, they may switch you to annual tests instead of every two years.

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
I've never heard of this "readiness" status.... whats it all about?

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Every time you go to a smog check in California, and maybe other states, they plug into OBD and check readiness. You may have no CEL but without readiness you fail. If you fail you may have to go every year until you always pass then they put you back in the every 2 years category.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/BAR-OIS_QA1.html
Bureau of Automotive Repair On-Board Diagnostic Inspection System (BAR-OIS)
Questions and Answers

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/obdprog/obdfaq.htm
In all areas of the state, technicians are required to perform an OBD II check (visual and functional) during the Smog Check inspection. Specifically, the technician visually checks for a functioning and an illuminated warning light and the Smog Check test equipment communicates with the on-board computer for fault information. If a fault is currently causing the light to be on, you need to have the malfunctioning component repaired before you can pass the test.

Additionally, if too many readiness flags are "incomplete," the vehicle will fail the inspection because it has not been operated enough to allow all of the self-diagnostics to run. This can occur if a fault has recently been repaired, if you have recently had a dead or disconnected battery, or if your vehicle battery has recently been replaced. It does not necessarily mean that anything is wrong with your car - it simply means that the vehicle hasn't had a chance to run all of its self-diagnostics to confirm that everything is okay. The vehicle will need to be driven more before the vehicle can be tested to pass. Vehicle owners who fail Smog Check due to incomplete readiness flags should drive their vehicle as they normally do for about a week or so to set these readiness flags to "complete." If the incomplete readiness flags were most likely not a result of a recently disconnected/replaced vehicle battery, or if the vehicle owner does not normally drive the vehicle that often, then the vehicle owner should seek technician help in setting the flags. The technician should either advise the owner of specific driving patterns needed to set the flags or operate the vehicle himself (most likely on a dynamometer in the shop) and check with his scan tool to determine which monitors have completed. In the future, OBD II-equipped vehicles may not even have to undergo a tailpipe test. Technicians would simply be required to perform the OBD inspection. More detailed information about California's current OBD II-based Smog Check program can be found at BAR's Smog Check website.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/BAR-OIS_QA1.html#Question16
16. WHAT ARE THE EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR THE BAR-OIS
A BAR-OIS consists of a BAR certified Data Acquisition Device (DAD) and other off-the-shelf equipment, including a computer, bar code scanner. The BAR-OIS uses the California BAR-OIS software to communicate with BAR's central database through an Internet connection. The bar code scanner is used to input technician information, the vehicle identification number (VIN), and DMV renewal information. The printer provides a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) containing inspection results for motorists and a Smog Check Certificate of Compliance number for passing vehicles.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I found on my '98 with a GP code if I just hit the clear codes button it resets the readiness monitor.

If I highlight the code it does not.

Some day I'll disconnect a plug on the ALH so it sets a code and try it on that one.

Edit: Since this thread has been bumped in 7/17 I'm editing this to say I couldn't necessarily repeat what I related above. Seemed to work sometimes.

Last edited:

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
Ah... Thanks

my garage hooks may car up too. Then he looks over at me and says " Dave your car needs a tune up, its starting to sound like a diesel" then he slaps my sticker on and off I go! Small town operation :eek:)

Jettaluvr

TDI
03 Jetta
UnFreakin real...

Second time, last cost me more than $500 to get a clear smog, Nothing wrong except a fault on a glow plug open, replaced them all, couldn't clear, ...
now two years later same **** different day, smog guy sez not over 65, no ac no defrost....... Dealer guy sez, ya gotta drive 600-800 miles to reset monitors to clear... none guarantees engine light doesn't come back on.... TOTALLY hating my Jetta computer sys and the California idiots who set up this messed up smog for diesels. I get 43 MPG, what is left to come out of the tailpipe?? All because a slight resistance on a glow plug connector which only works in COLD weather, I LIVE IN FREAKING CALIFORNIA!!! there is NO cold weather here on the coast... thanks for the list of procedures... to clear monitor, I will try... NO ONE including and especially the service guys at the dealership will tell you what the procedure for clearing these monitors are... SHEESHH...

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
take it for a few good drives, some short ones, some long, be sure to turn the key off and pull it out, 75-120 miles with 3/4 turn off/starts and it should be good.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
I don't have the time or energy to keep up with the VW or other ICE's I own. I just keep them for when I can't use the zero maintenance EV. The Leaf sucks, but other EV's batteries last a very long time.

need4speed

Veteran Member
In the big scheme of things, the VW Jetta TDI ALH is a VERY easy engine to maintain and keep smogged.

I will agree that the Glow Plug issue is EXTREMELY vexxing. If you're having glow plug issues, then you really need to replace the glow plug harness (see the hundreds of threads in the TDI 101 forum). The glow plug gives you a CEL, and that makes the whole process a complete pain in the ass.

Yes: Glow Plugs are used for things other than cold-weather startup. For example: they are used during normal startup, to get the engine up to operating temperature more quickly. The quicker your engine gets up to operating temperature, the fewer emissions are produced. ALL engines produce most of their emissions during warmup. Many engines have a lot of special features (secondary air pumps, and special DME/ECU programs) to improve emissions during warmup phase. The TDI ALH is no different: There are three coolant "glow plugs" which warm the coolant, and the regular glow plugs improve combustion while the engine is cold.

Therefore: if glow plugs are faulty (or if the harness is burning them out - because: DEFECTIVE HARNESS, and imo, VW should recall them and replace them all for free, yes, even on 16 year old cars - but that's just my opinion). - if the glow plugs are faulty, the CEL that is produced IS emissions-related.

The nice thing about the TDI ALH, is that while it does have Readiness Monitors, you don't have to worry about the flaky-ass EVAP crap they put on gas engines. EVAP Readiness requires that you take your car through a drive cycle, then the DME/ECU has to read a difference between intake air temp and ambient air temp at a certain range (ie. you have to have the engine do a "cold soak"; be shut off for 6-8 hours while the coolant temp comes back down). This is a complete pain in the ass, and on some cars, you also have to open your gas-cap, while the DME/ECU does a pressure test on the fuel system, and if there's even a pinhole leak in your fuel vapor return system, fuel pump, gas cap seal, then it will fail, and you just went through the 6-8 hour cold-soak with two drives, for nothing. Toyotas are the WORST for EVAP Readiness procedures. I read horror stories of guys working on their Toyotas and driving around and messing with them for MONTHS and not being able to get that EVAP monitor cleared.

Worse still, are the SULEV cars, who have a fuel pump sealed inside the gas tank. If anything goes wrong with that system, you're looking at $5000 to replace the whole gas tank and pump assembly. (although manufacturers are required BY LAW to cover these with an extended warranty, you know damn well dealers fight tooth and nail against trying to actually cover this work, and will use every technical loophole they can to avoid it; including trying to claim you "used bad gas one time 10 years ago").

It used to be that you could get through SMOG with one or two monitors not set, but California recently changed that law, so depending on what SMOG zone you live in, the SMOG tester may pass you or may not.

There ARE resources, in California: you can take your car to a "Smog Referee" and they will run your car through a set of more thorough tests, and take into account that you're "trying really hard", and your car is fundamentally not a gross polluter (if it isn't), and you're just dealing with a poorly programmed set of onboard tests, or sensors that are just plain faulty, and can't be easily replaced (or replacement sensors don't perform to spec anymore because of ****ty manufacturing).

IMO: the worst part of this smog business is that if you let your registration lapse (or go non-op), the DMV will only give you a temporary 1-day permit to get the car smogged, before they allow you to re-register, and 1-day is NOT enough, if you're dealing with Readiness Monitor issues.

Finally: Every car manufacturer publishes a set of guidelines and procedures on how to reset Readiness Monitors. It is generally far easier, in practice, to reset these monitors - but if you follow the guidelines to the letter, and all the equipment is working, they will reset. The ALH procedure published in this very thread, is simple and quick, and can be performed in about 45 minutes. (though: the part about accelerating from 30-75 mph in third gear with the pedal floored sounds kind of crazy - good luck finding a road where you can actually DO that safely!). In practice, you can probably get away with something approximating that drive pattern, and get your monitors re-set.

If you clear your codes because you get a CEL (from the glow plugs), you will reset your monitors, and you have to start over. The whole point of this is monitors will not clear until the car passes it's self-tests, which shows all the emissions equipment is in good working order.

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Texas does not require connecting to the ODB port on diesels. Now, we don't even have a safety drive. Just check bulbs, etc. Only $7, down from $15.

It's still required every year because the longest the registration will last on renewals is 1year. I used to love the 3 year renewals.