CV's, coolant, etc: 1996 passat 178K miles

96passatowner

TDI
Passat TDI, 1996, Black
Changing my snow tires this afternoon, the left front wheel has quite a bit of axial play (1/8 of an inch or more). I suspect CV joints or wheel bearing. I heard an intermittent grinding noise from the wheel, now I know why
- Is it better to replace the whole axle assy or just the faulty CV? Seems to be the outer CV.
- Could it be the ball joint? No play in the ball joint strut, but the brake rotors are moving all around.
Right front is solid. Is the CV a tough change?

Coolant is dark brown -- threads suggest oil cooler contamination. Any other ideas? Is this a difficult change? (Nothing ever added to coolant and temp. stays at 180 all the time.

Planning on going to Peoples auto in Somers for a timing belt, water pump, coolant flush etc. I like to know what is wrong before I ask the question though.

Finally: While the winter was mild, my glow plug light seldom comes on. Just when I think the light in the dash is out, it flick on for a second. On the coldest days, only on for a second of two. Could the brown coolant be affecting this?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The coolant you should use is indicated on the front of the coolant tank.. probably G11 on your car. If you flush it out real good, you could use the cheaper G12.

-Jason

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Check http://www.autohausaz.com for prices. They were the best I found for my hubs/bearings.

I have heard from numerous sources that the replacement axle assemblies are not good quality. You're better off sticking with just the CV replacement when the time comes.

If you're doing a coolant flush I would strongly suggest using the G12+. This should give you all the benefits of the G12 coolant plus allow you to add regular green stuff in an emergency.

Last edited:

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Re: your glow plug question, the GP are not engaged for cold start ("glow phase") when the coolant temperature is greater than 9C (48F - according the TDI Industrial Engine document). But the light should come on for its test each time you cycle the key. I don't see why the color of the coolant would make a difference.

96passatowner

TDI
Passat TDI, 1996, Black
Turned out to be the bearing and hub for the grinding noise.

Still working on coolant issues....