16 or 17 inch wheels?

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
ALCO: I just picked up a set of the Vancouvers off Ebay...they are going to be my winter wheels while my new 05 has the 17's
I couldn't be happier
I thought the Vancouvers ONLY came on 04 GLX's and that's why you can't find them anywhere.

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
Yeah, they're rare alright. Lots of time to look, though. The dealer wants $450, per wheel.

I knew tomo couldn't resist...like shootin' fish in a barrel.

donniemac

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment
Greets, all. I know this is an old thread, but I had bookmarked it for reference while I was deciding to make the change...which I did. I had the Contis on 16" rims OE, and went with replicas of the split seven spoke Bistars, with Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra tires in 225-45. I don't think the overall weight of these is that much different. I weighed these and the originals but forgot to write it down.

As expected, handling is much sharper. Braking is also improved; what feels like shorter stopping distances with less effort or drama. Haven't had them in much rain yet, and rain behavior would be specific to this tire, not 16 vs 17s. Ride is unchanged, at least in terms of quality. Maybe ever so slightly busier, but no harsher and actually quieter than the Conti 16s.

I was initially skeptical about any change in MPG, but heard that it would happen from respected sources here and elsewhere. Well, it's true. In my case, comparing the last mixed use tank with the first mixed use tank, I'm down about 3 mpg or so. With today's fuel prices, that's nearly a 10% drop, but overall I'm pleased.

One other thing; I would highly recommend the Maxxis-es. The price was reasonable, and during my search, there are lots of options in this size. HTH!

donniemac

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment
17 inch mileage update

Well, the loss of MPG is true. I was running mid 30s with the OE 16s and Continental tires. Just filled up and got 33 mpg flat. This is combined mileage, some highway some city, and was calculated over a thousand mile stint. Indicated MPG on the guess gauge was 34.6, for a 1.6 MPG error. FWIW, that's less difference between indicated and actual...

The Maxxis tires have started to make some noise. This is with around 4000 miles or so on them. Oddly, only at 30 MPH and slower. Nothing I can tell at road speed. They also seem to have noticeably higher rollling resistance. I base this on the car's lethargy accellerating in the AM, but that may be a function of the recent temperatures (low 30's) They still ride like butter. Running 36 psi, against the recommendation of 33 from my tire guy. That might have something to do with the noise too. They do stick well, and the handling improvement is still evident.

HTH for anyone who's considering the change. PM me if you wish.