Hazard Switch Replacement

apetrovic

TDI
Jetta, 2000, silver
Well dropped off a friend last night and pressed the hazards to warn other drivers, one blink then nothing. Not to mention the times when I press the turn signal and hear a buzz before it engages. I assume this is the Hazard switch. I hopped online and found there was a recall for 200-2002 Jettas and Golfs, called the dealer to check my vin and do the repair, turns out my car is not included in the faulty hazard switch recall (I own a 2000 Jetta, how is this possible, I'm not in the club?). Frustrating! So here I am seeking out help on how to replace the hazard switch. Has anyone done this? I have a Chilton manual and there is no information on this process. Thank you.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Very easy. First get your new switch. They are only about $25. Dealers typically stock them.

It'll pry straight out of the dash, but I have found it easier to pry out the blank next to it (or driver's power seat switch if your car is so-equipped). Then you can reach a finger in behind the hazard switch, and pop it and its wiring connector straight out. Unplug the connector, swap the switch, plug the connector back in and snap the new switch back into the dash. A nice little hook or pick is helpful, be careful not to scratch the plastic trim.

Takes about two minutes.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
An alternate method is to take and drill a hole straight into the switch, right in the middle of the button, then use a pick in that hole to yank the switch out!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
An alternate method is to take and drill a hole straight into the switch, right in the middle of the button, then use a pick in that hole to yank the switch out!

crude.....but effective. Kind of like spearing a stuck oil filter to remove it.