EGR --- and why it sucks

mr_sunshine

Veteran Member
TDI
Rabbit, 1979, Red
I'm removing my EGR system, because it's a goofy horsepower eating system. But before I jump into it, does anybody know what undesirable side effects will occure aside from more pollution and constant check engine light?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
How does it eat horsepower when it's not even functional -- by default -- at high loads?

SLPRTDI

TDI
Jetta 99.5 Met Green
mines been gone for 75,000 miles and it runs like a dream.
Before I made the car for "off road use only" /images/graemlins/grin.gif I hade two plugged systems replaced via the dealer.(was under warr.)
I say do it in a heartbeat.

mr_sunshine

Veteran Member
TDI
Rabbit, 1979, Red
sweet... well thats the first thing goin in the spare parts bin, along with the turbo, manifolds and injectors. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mr_sunshine

Veteran Member
TDI
Rabbit, 1979, Red
good so far, I'm still waiting on a wiring harness, and on a new turbo header then I can actually fab a flange adapter.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Are you fabing your own header or having some else sort it. It would be nice to see what sort of power you get with the .216's or 502's ex'r.(keep me posted)

mr_sunshine

Veteran Member
TDI
Rabbit, 1979, Red
well from the sounds of it, I'll probably use a header intended for a g60 turbo, then make a flange adapter. The Gt22
doesn't use a t3 flange, it has a triangler flange.... the finished engine is probably a few months away