Injection pump not pumping?

jconnelly

TDI
1997 Passat
Hello everyone, I have had the good fortune of getting lots of help in this forum and I'm back with a continuation of my IP difficulties. I found the pump leaking from the middle seal and with the guidance of many (Audi5000,aNUT,etc) I replaced both upper and middle gaskets and fuel damaged coolant lines. No more leak but it is not putting out any fuel. There appears to be fuel getting in. When disconnected, the inlet port looks full. There is just nothing coming out of the ofther end. My trusted mechanic said that he bled it, even disconnected the solenoid but still nuthin'. I just put a boatload of $$ into this beloved '97 Passat. The mechanic wants to replace the whole IP. I will lose my mind if I have to go another $1000+ for a new/rebuilt pump. I did the gaskets and hoses, now the $meter$ is running on the shop for diagnosis.
As usual, everyone's assistance is greatly appreciated.
John in Maryland
'98 Passat 1.8 Wagon
'97 Passat TDI
'98 Cabrio GLS
'93 EV GLS
'92 GTI
'81 Rabbit Diesel

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I believe the solenoid (fuel cutoff) needs 12v to open?

If it comes down to you needing a new IP, they can be had for about $700 or so.

wanders

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS- Baltic Green
Try cracking one of the fuel lines at the top of an injector. Have someone crank the car while you watch for fuel spurting out.

jconnelly

TDI
1997 Passat
Nothing out the injectors, will check voltage at solenoid

Thanks for the replies. Any sources for replacement IP's?

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
If you are in doubt as to the voltage at the solenoid, you can run a wire directly from the solenoid to the battery and try cranking the engine. Have you checked for the GP light and/or relay 109 failure?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Voltage has zero to do with the bleeding process. If you aren't getting fuel out the top return line the pump is toast. Get a used one from someone here. $400-$600. I've replaced more than a few that were toasted like this one. They are wrecked internally.

ryhopper

TDI
97 Jetta 1.9
97 jetta IP issue

HI ALL, My car had a rough tijme starting recently. I live in Maui, where its mostly warm, I run B 100 manufactured locally and tested nationally. Ot was quite cold here recently, (45 F) and my jetta had a difficult time starting. Then a few days later it would not start. I had my mechanic come and we determined that air was in the Ip. We primed and the car ran for a few more days.

This morning it would not start, upon my inspection fuel is dripping out of a seal in the IP.

My question is can I replace the seals or should I just go for a new IP??

ryan