Feeler: Clean 03 Jetta GLS TDI in Michigan

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Feeler: After 9 wonderful, trouble-free years with this beauty, I am considering selling. Finally in a financial situation that allows me to consider new options.

I bought this car in 2005 when it had less than two years on the road, but with 42,000 miles already. It had been lovingly owned by a high-mile commuter dude, but financial strain meant he had to part ways with her.
Since then, I have averaged nearly 50 mpg continuously, putting on somewhere between 11 to 14k miles each year. Best tanks of 56 mpg for a couple summers when the car was fully optimized and I did some longer road trips. The car has just under 160k miles right now.

Being an avid car enthusiast and mechanical engineer, I couldn’t leave well enough alone, and the car is somewhat modified. Tried to stick with OEM+ or mild power adders though. All work done by myself, an automotive/mechanical engineer, or by well-known TDI guru Marty Bergel. Oil changed every 6-7k miles with full synthetic every time.

Mod list:

Engine/Trans:
  • Bosio PP520 nozzles
  • Kerma tuned, with flashloader and a few tunes to play with
  • Re-worked factory airbox from a VR6, with PD150 turbo intake pipe
  • Custom lower intercooler pipe and idparts upper pipe
  • PD150 intake manifold and race pipe
  • PD in-tank lift pump
  • 2.5” downpipe from whitbread, with 3” magnaflow high-flow cat
  • Mufflerectomy
  • 0.658 5th gear ratio
  • VR6 clutch w/ G60 flywheel
  • Metalnerd short shift kit
Body/Chassis/Suspension/electrical:
  • Kamei-style front grill
  • Some aeromods (grill blocks, passenger mirror delete, rear diffuser, under-trays)
  • Metal nerd aluminum skid plate. Tough as heck! Not that I ever tested it, or anything…
  • Custom 1.3” lift spacers
  • Koni red shocks (rear are wagon-spec)
  • Currently riding on 215/60/16 Yokohama all terrains. Smallest 16” all-terrain tire I could find.
  • 10mm wheel spacers all around
  • E-code headlights w/ fogs
  • 0/2 gauge battery wiring kit
  • Boost pressure, oil temp, and exhaust temp gauges from VDO
  • iPhone/iPod integration to the monsoon stereo
  • Rubber floor mats in addition to the stock ones
  • Brand new front fenders replaced at the end of the VW rust warranty period. No rust anywhere!

It will need another timing belt kit in 20-30k miles or so. Only real issue currently is that A/C is currently not working. Could be as simple as low system pressure, but I couldn’t find any blown fuses. That’s as far as I bothered to trouble-shoot it. Otherwise it needs nothing and runs great!

Car would come with a couple boxes of original parts, and new replacement parts (I have Audi TT bushings, rear axle bushings, and more that I never got around to installing).

Sometimes I feel crazy even thinking about selling this car. It’s got insanely low cost-of-ownership, never lets me down, easy to work on, and is pretty fun to drive, while pulling down effortless 50mpg tanks. But after 9+ years in this thing, it’s just starting to feel like time to move on.

So what do folks think? Is $6,500 out of line? Depending on interest received here, I may decide to list it. Anyone local is welcome to come check it out, too.