FS 96 Passat B4V, Chattanooga TN

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
UPDATE: SOLD

Figured it would simply be a matter of time before someone found my add on Craigslist, so I thought I would post here (before someone else did).

Summary: 96 B4V Midnight Blue, 233k miles, well-used/loved TDI. Currently RUNNING. Looking to find a new home for her. Asking $3000.
Price: I am more interested in finding a good home for my B4V than I am looking to get asking price. I have put a lot into her, and gotten a lot out of her over the past 5 years. Her value will eventually be decided by the amount of money that changes hands, not what some book says.

Why I am selling: I moved to Chattanooga 3 years ago and ended up living within walking distance of where I work. I have no place to work on the car as I live in an apartment building and the car sits on the street. Last year I bought a motorcycle, so I hardly drive the Passat anymore. On top of all of this, she needs some love and attention that I cannot provide (jump to 'the bad' below) and deserves more time than I can currently afford. Rather than letting her sit, I think it is time for me to pass her along to a new home.

New Album (she is cleaned up!)
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=6225

Video of engine running
http://youtu.be/qfIyQ6_BH1Y

Original Photo Album (non-running)
More photos: Imgur Photo Album, 24 photos

The Good:
- Strong motor and turbocharger (IMHO)
- Timing belt job with water pump and all belts done @ 177k miles
- Tow hitch with 1.5" receptor
- Swapped in leather interior (seats and door panels) from a GLX Sedan
- GTI leather wrapped shift and ebrake boots
- MK3 GTI 14" wheels, rear ECS hub-centric spacers
- 3 position light switch (adds fogs)
- Replaced tie rods, front bearings, axels, control arm busing (185k mi)
- Bosio DLC1019 injectors, stage 1 calibration for fuel economy (195k mi)
- Kerma TDI Alligator Chip Tune for new injectors (195k mi)
- Replaced suspension with Koni Yellows shocks for wagons (195k mi)
- Replaced rear wheel bearings (192k mi)
- Replaced alternator Bosch OEM (221k mi)
- Replaced battery (2013/05 )
- Replaced ball joints (most recently: 230k mi)
- More parts and service, just ask

I kept detailed notes up until I moved to Chattanooga in 2011. I have a small notebook with repair info and lots of receipts.

I will include a box of parts that I was planning on installing (heater core, oil drain hose, and misc). If interested, I can also include the 2 volume bently factory service manual and a set of Diesel Geek timing belt tools.

The Bad:
- Previous to her ownership by my friend (previous owner), I know nothing about this car, except for what carfax tells me
- Very slight coolant loss somewhere (non-visible leak)
- Leaky oil blow-by filtration
- Hadn't changed the oil for 2 years (20k miles), just added it as needed (because of the leaky blow-by):eek::eek:
- Due for another timing belt job in the next 5k miles
- Power steering has started making some noise at extremes
- Electrical gremlins! I leave the factory alarm system unplugged (otherwise the alarm randomly arms)
- Lost the factory airbox, currently using aftermarket cone filter

The Ugly:
- Aging 18 year old interior
- Windshield has crack (see photos)
- Clear coat peeling on hood (see photos)
- Various scratches and small dents
- Fog lights cracked
- Headlight lenses hazy
- Four inch square dent damage in rear between bumper and left tail light (see photos)
- In 2013 a section of the wire loom under the hood caught on fire. :eek: I repaired the wiring, and took the car to a VW mechanic for inspection. Although functional, the repaired section looks ugly.
- Rust: only around windshield in three places 1) top above rear view mirror, 2) drivers side 3) passenger side (see photos of all 3 in new album). Drivers side spot is the worst, the other two are easy to miss.

Almost all the major issues I have listed are represented somewhere here on the forums. Please ask any questions.

Last edited:

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
Alright, so if I am doing something wrong with this: please help me, mods.

Number one hang up on my lovely B4V is that she is currently not running. Progress on her is still ongoing, and tonight I found that the resistance on the CPS was out of spec. Ordered a new sensor tonight. Still interested in selling the car, but just want to be upfront about what is going on. I don't want to sell until I can put the sensor in. Thanks.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Can you resize the picture? They're simply too large and I can't read the text.

This is a great deal for someone. I don't need a divorce so I'm going to pass but my younger brother just north of you in KY is very interested. He needs a wagon, has a trailer, and would take great care of it. He may be giving you a call later this morning.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Can you resize the picture? They're simply too large and I can't read the text.

This is a great deal for someone. I don't need a divorce so I'm going to pass but my younger brother just north of you in KY is very interested. He needs a wagon, has a trailer, and would take great care of it. He may be giving you a call later this morning.
That's too bad-you're the one person that would bring this car back to life. If your brother does get this,you'll probably take a southern vacation????

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
It warms my heart that a few of tdiclub's finest are even joking about restoring my B4V. :D

Sorry about the picture, will fix post haste.

Yes, took the ad off craigslist. Just waiting until I can put the CPS in and see if she runs before putting her back up for sale. Got so excited about the CPS being faulty that I also ordered a timing belt kit. So, order of operations:
1. Install CPS
2. Put B4V back up for sale
3. IF she runs, adjust sale price
4. Clean, fixup, etc. as I was unable to do when she wouldn't run
5. Make timing belt change plans (aka borrow friends garage)
6. HOPEFULLY sell her to a good home :D

Thanks so much for the interest, really appreciate the help (and offers for help) I have been receiving.

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Let me know when it's listed, my brother is interested, has cash and a truck with trailer if it's what he's looking for (and it sounds like it is).

Last edited:

diesel steve

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4v
what is a CPS ? Just wondering. I am not interested in buying this car. Just wondering what that is and why the car wont run. thanks.

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
Thanks for replying, Abacus. Crank position sensor came in the mail Tuesday, I finally have a free evening to try to get my b4 into a safe place to work on her. Hoping to have some good news tonight/tomorrow.

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
Just a brief update: got the sensor in the car last night, but wasn't able to try to start her because I am missing one of the bolts for the front motor mount. About to go get the bolt then head to garage and continue putting the b4 back together.

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
She runs!!

And she runs!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Oil change, new crank position sensor, replaced missing bolt for front motor mount, replaced CCV oil hose, trashed my poor attempt at air oil separator, and reprimed the IP. The IP still doens't want to flow fuel with my mityvac... :confused:
BUT I just got as much air out as I could and then turned her over, and she fired right up!!

Okay, Im going back to the car... I hope to update this sale thread with a running car sometime today or tomorrow. :) Thanks for everyones patience and help. Its been very encouraging.

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
Updated the original post to reflect the new asking price ($3000) and to add new photos and a running video.

So, I originally decided to take this car off of craigslist after having it up for 1 day because I learned about the possible CPS failure. Between putting it up and taking it down I had one guy email me asking to see it, and I told him to come by Monday after work. We'll, he never got back to me so Monday after work I tested the CPS and learned it was out of spec. If the craigslister would have showed up he could have walked away with a steal of a car. Can't help but think about how lucky I was that day.

Last edited:

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
Going out of town for a week. Will be unplugged. I will respond to PMs and requests on Monday, November 24th. Cheers.

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
Just got back from vacation. Car is still for sale. PMs responded to. Couple of issues to mention:
- Oil-cooler seal (between cooler and block flange) started leaking. Just got a replacement and hope to install the new one this week.
- (With the drastic drop in temperature) the drivers side front exterior handle stopped working correctly.

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
Bump! Replaced the oil cooler o-ring and fixed the oil leak. Also fixed the drivers door handle. Putting the car back on craigslist tonight.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Nice looking car.

If I was a collector, a hobbyist that works on his own car, owner of a 6 bay garage, not married, and if I did't already own 2 wagons. Would otherwise do this.

I am sure someone will snag this up!

aelath

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V (gone)
Anyone we know?
Good question. He is on here, I just don't know his username. He asked what my username was, and we stopped at that.

We actually got to talking about you, Abacus, and how you have a few B4s, and I said that answering your questions about my car was like talking to George Lucas about tauntauns. Well, I didn't say that exactly, but you know. :D

I hope he shows himself and documents how horrible the PO's car-care was. ;)

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Geez, don't put me on a pedestal, I'm afraid of heights.

I was hoping it'd stay in the family. I asked my younger brother about it but he said it'd strap him financially due to the antics of his recent ex-wife, who is now playing divorcee games. It's too bad since it'd make him a great car, but I understand all too well.

Hopefully the person will reveal themselves. I didn't see anything about that car that would turn me off and it looked like a great deal. I'm glad it's staying in the TDI family. Thanks for offering it up here and being so honest about it, says a lot about you as a person.

6.5L Rover

TDI
2001 Jetta Black; '96 B4V Blue, '97 B4V White
She is now mine!! The girl needs some love and attention, but the important thing is that it is a sound base to work from - both from the stand point of very little rust (quarter size spot of surface rust on the A-pillar seems to be the worst) and lots of the correct mechanical attention. All the right things have been done and she is well maintained from what I see. I am excited and will post some follow up pictures as I have time to do things. I doubt my posts will be as involved as some of the excellent posts I read on here but I will see what I can do. Thanks TDI forum for all the ways you have helped me with all my VW TDIs in the past (my 01 Jetta is nearing the 300k mark and still going strong). This is a great forum.

Mike