Saab 2052s bolt to AHU manifold?

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
93 eurovan AHU (almost), 88Fummins, 01 alh golf, 91 toyota alh
Good evening, I was thinking that the three holes on the saab 2052s would approximately match up with the 3 on my AHU manifold, and they are close, but not as close as i had hoped. Has anyone mounted the Saab 2052S to the AHU/1Z manifold ?

sorry if there are 2 images, having trouble getting google to play nice

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i ran a gt2052 for a subaru but it was a t40 flange
im interested in what your doing here but cant help with the bolt config.
how off are we talking? might be worth it to find someone who can weld this up for you.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
If its the same bolt pattern like a gt18 from the sister model Opel/vauxhall then a bit of grinding with a die rinder will see it working in no time...If its too far off then either welding or adapter plate is needed...

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
it may be, i just found a cheap 2052 and it does have the 3 bolt flange, havent had time to get exact measurements. I thought it would be pretty close and could use some carbide cutting tools to elongate the holes to get to match up. Problem is if i do that the turbo exit is facing a bit askew. What i was thinking of doing is matching up one hole and welding the rest, it is a cast manifold and it dose make me nervous. here is a photo of the one hole with the correct orientation.....

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I would just weld and then drill new holes into the existing manifold flange...cast iron can be welded sucessfully with nickel rods and/or special cast iron rods...

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
I would just weld and then drill new holes into the existing manifold flange...cast iron can be welded sucessfully with nickel rods and/or special cast iron rods...

I agree, I've welded cast before but it's not easy. I think I'll add some material to turbo side and see about drilling new holes :)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
if your going to weld it, use a machinable nickel cast iron repair rod, have a bucket of sand to bury it into to (keep the sand HOT in the oven at 400*F for a few hours before this. Make sure you hammer your weld IMMEDIATELY after you stop the arc with a ball peen hammer for about 20 seconds, then start on the next hole, once done the last one, bury it with the hot sand, and let it sit over night. it might be over kill but its the only way i have ever been able to fix cast and make it not crack in the end. especially manifolds. works like a charm and isnt much of a hassle really.
then drill out the holes and your done!

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it's easier to weld the turbo side and just keep it from warping?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
both manifold and turbo are a cast iron or type of cast, not 100% on the turbo side but i do know that its a cast steel, and thus still needs a heat treatment cool down after welding. been there, done that. yea it might last a while but not for long unless you take the right steps.