Stupid awesome tires/ Stupid pothole$

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
So my super awesome 18's that came with the SEL have had their first issue.
Hit a tiny pothole last night and it popped my tire.
I'm from New England I've hit WAY bigger potholes before I can't believe it caused this much damage.
(I'll definitely try to get reimbursed from town at some point)
Anyway..I was hoping it just broke the bead but nope. Hole on the sidewall.
Not repairable.

Difficult to find replacement. Pirelli 225/40/18 P7
Out $205 for tire plus $100 for alignment.
Sucks.
At purchase I bought the platinum extended warranty...But not the road hazard option:( I thought I included road hazard option but apparently I either declined or didn't know about it.

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
Sorry to hear, I've gotten into the habit of buying the road haz deal, They've already replaced one tire for me, and getting ready to replace another on monday morning.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
We've broken two 205/45-16 tires and broke a cord on another during our trips to the central part of NH (Lake Newfound) and areas close by, driving our 2004 Mk4 TDI 5-speed. The roads in that area are terrible and I've since started buying road hazard insurance on our tires... along with now traveling to NH on 15-inch wheels with 195/55-15 tires. Haven't been up there yet in our new Mk7 Golf TDI S with its 205/55-16 tires and hope we don't get into any 'invisible' holes. Live and learn.

Last edited:

pillboxhat

TDI
So if in the future, maybe next tire change, I wanted to swap out for 17s or 16s do you think the ride, durability, mpg increase would be significant or worth it? I've seen the excellent motor trend report on the differences in 16s-20s but I'm wondering if anyone has any real world experience with doing that.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
So if in the future, maybe next tire change, I wanted to swap out for 17s or 16s do you think the ride, durability, mpg increase would be significant or worth it? I've seen the excellent motor trend report on the differences in 16s-20s but I'm wondering if anyone has any real world experience with doing that.
17's would change the tire to 225/45R17, only adding 5% more sidewall vs the current 225/40. I would venture the tire itself was the issue more so than the 225/40 series, though the manufacture will claim impact split for the issue

I've gone from 225/45 to 225/40 in increasing to 18" rims, mpg's went up on the 18"s because I'm running a lighter rim and tire, dropped 5lbs per rim/tire. The motor trend report is more about how weight effects the overall fuel consumption, if you keep the weights same/lower you will not see any overall changes if the sizing is kept close to similar overall wheel diameter

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I can't speak for 18s, but my SE came with 17s, and my winter wheels are 16s. The ride is dramatically different (although snow tires are mushy).

It does seem like there is a reason that VW recommends 10% higher tire psi for the 18s, but the 16/17s are the same psi. I avoided an SEL just because I didn't want that headache.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
My stock 18" tires are for sale - they were taken off at delivery.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
you don't run winter tires in Mass?

All seasons/summers (same ****) are useless and dangerous under 45f and lose traction progressively as it gets colder

pillboxhat

TDI
Thanks for the real advice and experiences.

Yatz I Know. I should. To be honest this is the first non AWD car I've had in a while so I'm a little off my game. I figure I'd try it out for a bit and see how it goes. I do like the firm sporty handling of the 18s...But I also notice a bit of road noise and the firmer ride is not always what I'm looking for. SO. I think my game plan is to just buy some new 17 wheels with snow tires. And then in the spring swap out the snow for all season. And I guess just keep the 18s for...I dunno. Some other time. Or maybe sell them. I think the mpg and ride/cruise comfort is more important to me than any gains in handling. Then again if MPG and $ is so important why spend over a grand on new tires? Duh. I just hope the 17s are enough of a change to make a difference since as skramer pointed out it's only a little bit more sidewall? 16s?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
My GTI came with 18s and whereas they look fantastic on the car, it's quite stressful to drive with them as i have to constantly be looking out for potholes. The bigger the wheel, the more expensive it is to replace/repair.

I'm running 16s for the winter and whereas I can feel the difference in cornering, they're also much more compliant and over all, more comfortable. There is also just a bit of side wall to potentially absorb an impact

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
If low profile tires are operated even a little bit low on tire pressure the chances of wheel or tire damage from potholes increases.

Check and maintain your tire pressure.

Bill

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
So my super awesome 18's that came with the SEL have had their first issue.
Hit a tiny pothole last night and it popped my tire.
I'm from New England I've hit WAY bigger potholes before I can't believe it caused this much damage.
(I'll definitely try to get reimbursed from town at some point)
Anyway..I was hoping it just broke the bead but nope. Hole on the sidewall.
Not repairable.

Difficult to find replacement. Pirelli 225/40/18 P7
Out $205 for tire plus $100 for alignment.
Sucks.
At purchase I bought the platinum extended warranty...But not the road hazard option:( I thought I included road hazard option but apparently I either declined or didn't know about it.

make sure you examine the wheel closely, including rotate on the hub to watch for minor dents. minor wheel dents will let a new tire balance, but never be right, and will drive you nuts in the long run.

D15SEL

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL 6M, '13 Beetle 'vert 6M
I too loved the 18"s on my new TDI SEL I had to go to NJ to find the 6M on any color but white or black "and it was on the lot". I found a local owner of a new TSI and last week we swapped his 17" and cash for my 18". I now have those stored and am running 16" with snows for the next 4 months. My '06 GTI came with 17" and that was a wonderful handling car. Never a bent rim after 112k. The risk/reward driving with 18" wasn't worth it for me as this is a daily driver in towns all over New England. The stress level is way down too. Good Luck with your repairs.

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf 2dr. RCII, sprint 520s, shine susp
Thats a bummer!!

I never understood why car makers insist on running these monster rim sizes. It doesn't work in northern states. I really like the MK7 GTI, but would have to downsize the wheels in order to keep the rims round.

I don't believe you gain any performance going from a 17x8" to an 18x8" rim.

pillboxhat

TDI
Kind of an embarrassing newbie question now but I've never geeked out on rims and wheels so I don't know much in this area...If I was to switch to 17s or 16s could I just buy any 16 or 17 inch wheel from a tire place or are there certain measurements and bolt patterns I have to adhere to? I don't want anything tricked out. Would love to get real VW rims with logo but probably not necessary. So what are the guidelines I should be using when shopping for new wheels?

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
16" rims will have less rolling mass and therefore net you a gain in MPG. Also, cheaper and less likely to damage. If you prefer the feel of 18s you can usually get that tighter feel back by getting polyurethane suspension bushings and firmer shocks.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Last edited:

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
mkVs and mkIVs should both have the same bolt pattern, so yes, it should work. Not a horrible price, but I'd try to talk them down.

D15SEL

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL 6M, '13 Beetle 'vert 6M
I agree, selling price too high for a pretty common/available rim set. I just paid $300 for a set of Blizzak with the full 12/32" left on tread. Seller paid $800 last winter (I had my own 16" rims).

Good luck.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You need 5x112 bolt pattern wheels. Not sure what the offset is for the MKVII cars, but check that, too. Tire Rack will list offsets but they'll also offer wheels that have different offsets than stock. They'll fit, but may look different.

I went from 17s to 15s in my MKVI Golf to improve the ride, get less expensive tires, and better FE. It's worked out well. Although I'm a careful driver (also in MA), everyone is going to hit potholes here. That's why I'm a big fan of running 15s.

16s are a good compromise, however. Many more tires available. I'd probably look for OE wheels, either takeoffs or from someone who's upgraded. I didn't find a lot of good quality aftermarket 16s for my MKVI. Seemed that manufacturers had focused on 17s or larger.

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
16s are a good compromise, however. Many more tires available. I'd probably look for OE wheels, either takeoffs or from someone who's upgraded. I didn't find a lot of good quality aftermarket 16s for my MKVI. Seemed that manufacturers had focused on 17s or larger.
+1
Lots of JSW's came on 16's. I seem to see lots of the Biolines around, but not much else for OEM. My preference is for OEM as well. And I think that 16's are the best compromise of cost, appearance and ride quality. I can't imagine driving around on low profile tires on NH roads.

pillboxhat

TDI
Thanks Kite Indigo and D15sel. I'm gonna try and keep to some used OEMs. I'm hoping to decrease winter driving stress in Mass, get a slightly smother ride, and maybe pick up a few mpgs in the spring. Maybe I'll put my old ones up for sale after.

pillboxhat

TDI
Made a move.
Met a great guy from the forum who swapped 16's for 18s with me.
I noticed the difference right away with a much smoother and quieter ride.
Handling feels about the same but I haven't really put it through the paces yet.
I would highly recommend for anyone to get the 16s with their new Golf. Especially considering the torsion beam might add an unexpected firm ride.