Rotella T6 in a PD, safe?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I have done some searching and it seems that it would be ok to use, but I just want to double check.

Would it be ok to use rotella 5W-40 T6 in my 04 PD?

I am asking because that's all I can get locally and that's all I run in my VE.

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I use it in my BRM. It's a good oil, high in Zn. I'll let you know if anything happens. My Fe went down after switching from Castrol SLX to Rotella.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Probably so, yes. Most CJ-4 oils are proving themselves to work fine in PDs.

As 2FB said above, he's using it in his BRM, I'm using Schaeffer 9000 in my BEW and plenty of folks are using M1 TDT in their PDs.

DASH

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI / 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Headed to Wal-Mart now to pick up some now for my Oil change tomorrow.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Yeah, I gotta pick up some too. Too bad walmart doesn't sell it in 5 gallon buckets. LOL

Here's another question: is it OK to mix the T6 with the older rotella T? I have like half a gallon left of the older rotella T left.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
turbocharged798 said:
Yeah, I gotta pick up some too. Too bad walmart doesn't sell it in 5 gallon buckets. LOL

Here's another question: is it OK to mix the T6 with the older rotella T? I have like half a gallon left of the older rotella T left.
Yes, you can mix it.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Honeydew said:
According to the linked thread on bitog T6 is just a rebranding and the oil itself is the same as the CJ-4 Rotella T.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1730627#Post1730627
It is similar to RTS, but not exactly the same. The properties are slightly different, specifically the change in viscosity index improvers. It also a bit thinner.

Johnny said:
One of the few chemist I still know there did tell me they changed the viscosity index improver to make it more shear stable.

Mac The Diesel Junky

TDI
2004 VW Golf TDI
Well from what i understand about oils if its CJ-4 and 5w-40 it will work well in your car. Is there better oils than others of course but most will work just fine. I use the Diesel High Tech 5w-40 Liqui Moly. It is a little more expensive but according to boraparts it has shown to protect the camshaft better with these pd engines.

NICK4030

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5 spd, 2006 jetta DSG
rotella all the way... my 87 kenworth (sold) had 1.2 million on nothing but rotella. Granted its different oil but still rotella. It has proved itself.

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
NICK4030 said:
rotella all the way... my 87 kenworth (sold) had 1.2 million on nothing but rotella. Granted its different oil but still rotella. It has proved itself.
We have a 74 Kenworth C524 dumptruck.