1700 mile road trip to bring back 96 Passat, how to prepare?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
This weekend, I'm flying out to Colorado to pick up my 1996 Passat Wagon. I will take delivery on Monday and I wanted some suggestions on what I should bring for the trip or do to be prepared for this trek back. I will take about 4 days to complete this trip.
-There will be two of us driving.
-The car has a 6 disc CD changer already so I'll be set in the music department.
-The TB was changed out 10,000 miles ago and the oil has just been done (non-synthetic though).
-New tires on the car
-I have maps and AAA card

Should I pick up some diesel additive at the first fuel station I stop at? What kind? Since the car has regular oil in it already (dealer won't change) I am planning on changing it out when I get back to Virginia, but in the meantime, I guess I'll have to carry a spare quart of regular oil, any specific kind I should buy for the time-being?
Any advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated.
-Nick

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Nick, a real easy thing you can do that may be of benefit would be to grab a bottle of the Power Services Supplement (+ Cetane Boost). That seems to be widely available at wallyworld. I would try to purchase that once you arrive so you don't have to carry it on the plane with you.

Hopefully the vehicle is ready to go and mechanical repairs aren't needed at this time.

I guess you could also grab a qt of 10W-30 when you are at the store in case you need it during your journey. The B4 TDIs seem to consume a bit of oil.

Good luck on the journey. Hopefully the car turns out to be very nice for you.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Inspect the timing belt before leaving. If the tensioner was not changed when the belt was replaced the odds are the tensioner will fail at the 15,000 mile mark with the new belt.

Things to look for on the tensioner are sharp edges and pieces of frayed belt all over the timing belt cover and cam pulley.

IF the tensioner is sharp have the belt and tensioer replaced immediately!!! DO NOT attempt to drive this car until those two things have been confirmed to have been replaced.

Other than that dump some power service in, have the oil changed over to some Delvac 1 (before driving home to clean and flush out the engine) and when you get home change it again to get out the possible residues from improper oil being used.

Other than that have fun and enjoy the ride!

DB

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: Drivbiwire ]

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
While at Wally picking up the PowerService with Cetane boost (a very sound suggestion) don't forget to get a small container you can measure and pour into the tank with...chainsaw fuel mix bottle comes to mind. And I would change out the wipers and fill the fluid bottle. Get a pressure gauge, check the tires and spare. Pick up a gallon of distilled water...battery, radiator. Realize there isn't an easy way to check the brake pads but check the fluid level. Welcome to the wagon club!! You are one of few, the proud, and now the envied!!

Adam

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI (Wagon)
Don't forget a radar detector and a CD. Channel 19 will normally give you lots of info on where cops are hiding. Also a pair on Binoculars is always a good idea to see if the spec in the distance is a cop.

Well, now that you got the important things out of the way, I would check the car over, make shore it feels good on the highway, and worry about the oil when you get home. Who want to be trying to find Delvac 1 and change their oil in the Desert=).

Enjoy the car. Welcome to the wagon club. They are great cars

Adam

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, thanks for the advice so far. I've got the a tire gauge, little flashlight and a radar detector. I believe brake pads were recently done. I will wait till I get to Colorado to pick up the cetane boost. I'll also wait till I get back to Virginia before I switch to synthetic oil.

Any more more advice before Friday? I'd like to take a laptop with me so I can give updates of the trip whenever I stop at a hotel for the day, but I probably won't be able to get the one from my office.
=Nick

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
If the car doesn't already have one, swing by a VW dealer and see if you can pick up a cup holder. Say what you like about the evils of these, but I find that on road trips, it essential to have somewhere to put beverages.

Are you taking the I-70 corridor back? If so beware of the 'revenue collectors' when you get past Kansas City. They seem to prey on those coming in from the 75 mph limits out on the plains. I know this from bitter experience (betcha didn't know a subaru loyale wagon could cruise at 95
).

Other than that, not much to say except godspeed and good luck. Hope to see you at the GTG at TDI Believer's place in Berryville on the 30th.

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
As far as I know, the only one the Passats ever had was the one on the side of the console (afterthought for US market). I don't know if the all had them, or just the GLX's, but mine was not there when I bought the car. They break off pretty easily apparently, as they are only held on by three screws. Most dealers should have them in stock because of this. I seem to remember its around the $30 mark.

It not the greatest design, and I'm considering something else, just haven't gotten around to it yet, and haven't broken the stock one. Call the dealer where the car is and ask them. You should be able to stop at a dealer in CO if you want it for the trip back.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
A cupholder, doesn't it come with one that is stuck on the passenger side of the console? Does the dealer have a different type of cupholder that would be more convenient? I could see myself stumbling as I reach for a soda across the car as I'm going 60 mph, not a pretty sight. I don't think I'll be back for the GTG, but thanks for the offer.
-Nick

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Nick,
I`ve got nothing to add but congradulations and good luck on the return trip.

ps My friend got that silver wagon in Vancover

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RC:
Nick,
I`ve got nothing to add but congradulations and good luck on the return trip.

ps My friend got that silver wagon in Vancover
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the advice everyone. RC, was this friend Charlie from Ocean City that called me?
-Nick