Oil pressure specs

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Earl, several people have provided specs (Windex for one), but you choose to ignore it and the wise advice from folks that have owned and worked on them for the past 10-11 years. Most of us have "been there and done that" and our advice reflects that experience (some of it painful and expensive advice). Same on the TCM flash advice. Frankly, IMO, you are asking for trouble by going beyond the "sport" mode programming with this particular engine/transmission set up.

As for the warranty, the collective experience is that VW will not replace a working BSM just because they are known to blow up. Most dealers do not even know about the issue. The 2 near me have never replaced one. If yours will replace it before it implodes then that is great and I wish you the best.

As TS has stated, you are better off leaving things alone and if it implodes, let the warranty take care of it. Usually if the dealer/warranty supplier even gets a hint that you have been monkeying around then they will deny the claim. Another VW stickler is they want to see oil change history or some type of maintenance records to process the claim.

As for the oil pressure switch, as OH has stated and I have the same experience dating back to 1980 (when they had 2 switches), the system works as intended and does a good job. I have not personally seen a switch fail in 35 years (bad wire yes)

Good luck
Oh I listen to what they said and the specs. I ignored nothing what soever! I had no issues there. It's when I was being bashed for adding a gauge, having a warranty and such.

I only asked if the tcm could be reflashed. I have no idea if it can or cant. If it can I may have the dealer flash it if there is an update or I may not. I do not like their shift points. Sport is much better and I can probably live with it as the update (if there is one) could be worse yet. It would be a gamble. That would be my choice to make on my own.

Warranty works about the same across all brands. I know my way around warranties. My gauge can be removed in a few minutes and leave no trace.

As far as the oil pressure switch working at idle, mine does not. I have actually checked this. Maybe not all cars are the same but mine will not light the dash light at idle. it will only light when you are above idle. I have also read online that others have found this. Not sure what to tell you there. Want me to load a video of this when I get off working 80 hr weeks?

I understand you guys hate oil pressure gauges and prefer the lights. I happen to not like lights and prefer a gauge. How do you know that u have 30 psi at 2K and not 9? The light won't tell you. It's just a personal preference and no need to bash someone over it. Everyone is different.

Thanks,
Earl

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Never bashed you on the gauge. In fact I have VDO Oil pressure, temp and boost gauges in mine. I like seeing what is going on.

All the Passats are set up the same, and for that matter, I have not seen a VW motor that was set up differently.

You never answered my question as to where you tee'd in to get your gauge to read. I think your gauge may be reading lower than actual and there is no problem with the sensor.

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Never bashed you on the gauge. In fact I have VDO Oil pressure, temp and boost gauges in mine. I like seeing what is going on.

All the Passats are set up the same, and for that matter, I have not seen a VW motor that was set up differently.

You never answered my question as to where you tee'd in to get your gauge to read. I think your gauge may be reading lower than actual and there is no problem with the sensor.[/QUOT
E]

Sorry I didn't see you asked that. I used a VDO metric tee and installed it in where the OEM oil switch was. I installed the OEM switch in the end of tee and the gauge sending unit in the top of the tee. The sending unit is the issue. It will read pressure when engine is off and stick. I unplug the sending unit and the gauge goes to zero. Newsouth performance has awful awful customer relations. I can't reach them by phone and they won't return my calls. They sent me two emails and no help to date. I might have to dispute the charges at this rate. Issue started right away. Sometimes the gauge works correctly and other times it sticks. Nice looking gauge and it matches my dash perfectly including the indiglo back lighting. Just wish it actually worked.

Thanks,
Earl

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
How long is this time delay some speak of before the oil pressure light goes on at idle? I waited a long time on several tests and it never came on. I could only get it to come on if I throttled the engine up off idle. It was over 1k rpm before it came on It would than stay on at idle after that.

Earl

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Actually I had a switch fail in my VR6 eurovan and it acted same way....light came on above idle speed along with the audable warning. Brian said he'd seen it happen . A simple switch replacement cured it. It probably happened because I don't drive it very often..only 45k miles. Apparently it was designed to activate on failure rather than fail and give no indication at all like a conventional idiot light circuit.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
How long is this time delay some speak of before the oil pressure light goes on at idle? I waited a long time on several tests and it never came on. I could only get it to come on if I throttled the engine up off idle. It was over 1k rpm before it came on It would than stay on at idle after that.
Earl
I Believe I had a switch go out on me, I'll probably make a thread as this one took a while to find, Oil pressure Search wasn't pulling it up...
So my light came on, I just did a BSM delete and feared I had to go back in there, went to harbor freight got their oil pressure test kit for $20 they even have the right fitting in the kit. When I tested it with the gauge nothing the first second which worried me then hit like 70......I let it idle for 6 MINUTES before the oil light came on and stop message....seems like too many minutes with no pressure even at idle!....maybe im wrong but Im thinking of doing a gauge just to monitor...probably wont tho, going to grab a switch and hope that takes care of my warning......as i was curious about the warning coming on while testing, i put it up to 1000 a couple times while it was idling" during that 6 minute delay.....couple other tests proved to immediately kick my warning on when revving to 15 or 2000....I thought it was interesting...