3.0 CR TDI - Exhaust Leak from manifold gasket?

audiphile

Vendor
TDI
shop full of swaps
A beautiful Q7 came in with 100K on the clock. exhaust fumes smell complaint - confirmed.

Found leak at rear pass side cylinder - at exhaust manifold between the manifold and cylinder head. Suspected gasket.

Replaced gasket - symptoms returned within a day.

manifold is straight, checked by machine shop.

Has anyone seen warped heads on these cars? Looks like we have to yank the head and have it machined!!!

mcintoshtc

TDI
2011 Q7 3.0 TDI
Resolution?

Audiophile, were you able to resolve this?

I have a 2011 Q7 with the 3.0 TDI the is exhibiting the same symptoms.

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
Mc:

What was the fix for your leak?

taxi

TDI
audi a6 2.7
Iam dutch so the technical terms are maybe not so accurate, but the symptoms you describe are linked to a leaking injector, probably the o-ring.

I had the same symptoms with my audi 2,7 tdi, the garage had never seen it before.

mcintoshtc

TDI
2011 Q7 3.0 TDI
I have not fixed mine yet, I was hoping audiophile might be able to provide some insight.

This has very similar symptoms to a leaking injector seal (aka injector black death), but I don't see how it could be. The sound and residue are similar if not the same, except the leak is around the exhaust manifold and not the injector.

The injectors on this engine are located in the center of the head and go through the valve cover. If an injector seal was leaking, it would leak into the valve train and wouldn't be visible from the engine compartment.

Hopefully I will have a chance to tear it apart over the next couple weeks and get it fixed. I've been driving with the climate control on recirculate but I won't be able to do that for very much longer because the outside temperature is dropping.

I am going to try to replace the exhaust gasket first and go from there. I will post pictures and results when I am done.

Heloboby7

TDI
2011 Touareg TDI
There are relief ports right beside the top exhaust manifold studs that are not covered by the gasket. These relief ports allow combustion gasses to escape if an injector seal starts leaking. I just noticed the ports last night after having my exhaust manifold off for the third time chasing an exhaust leak. I had cleaned off all the black hardened goop, machined the flange flat, pressure tested the manifold and replaced all gaskets and nuts with no change to the exhaust leak noise. Drove it 15 miles and took it all back apart and noticed more black goop coming from the relief holes. I've got injector seals on the way to remedy the problem.

Heloboby7

TDI
2011 Touareg TDI
Pulled the injectors tonight, cleaned the bores, and sanded the copper seals flat. Little channels developed where the seals were leaking. After reinstalling everything, it started and ran with no problems and no more exhaust leak sound. So after R&Ring the exhaust manifold and compensator pipe 3 times chasing the leak, turns out the actual fix just took a little cleaning and sandpaper.

mcintoshtc

TDI
2011 Q7 3.0 TDI
Heloboby7, I recently came to the same conclusion as you did and am planning on replacing the copper seal this weekend.

How long had yours been leaking? And how easily did the injector come out?

Mine was leaking before I bought the vehicle and I've put about 5,000 miles on it so I'm worried about the residue making it difficult to remove.

Do you have any suggestions for when I do this?

zzelizz

TDI
Seat toledo Golf
Hi,
I own a 2009 touareg with 3.0 v6 tdi engin, can anybody advise if those relief port apply also to it? Im suffering from the same simptoms.
Thanks for any answer.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
@seBEASTian -- looks like injector seal leaks to me, too.

I have one I'm planning to do -- just got the slide hammer kit from Amazon and all 3 of the seals (copper, o-ring, and tiny o-ring) plus a replacement TTY bolt from the dealer today.

Many have said if you don't replace the torque-to-yield bolt holding it in, the copper seal won't get the correct seating and will leak again.

Snowboarder1981

TDI
2014 Audi Q7
@seBEASTian -- looks like injector seal leaks to me, too.

I have one I'm planning to do -- just got the slide hammer kit from Amazon and all 3 of the seals (copper, o-ring, and tiny o-ring) plus a replacement TTY bolt from the dealer today.

Many have said if you don't replace the torque-to-yield bolt holding it in, the copper seal won't get the correct seating and will leak again.
@craigldavis - do you have the part # on the torque bolt and the Injector Seals? Would really appreciate also if you have the Amazon or Ebay links