www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old March 27th, 2018, 17:31   #7816
JFettig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDICADDGUY View Post
Hopefully you got in contact with him (or got some other help). Any resolution, or do you need any other help?
If I had seen this sooner I might have tried to get in contact with him. I have his number but wouldn't want to just broadcast it since he is a busy guy with a family and a full time job.
I'm pretty sure I saw this Jetta on his driveway over the weekend
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 20:04   #7817
MPLSTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 Jetta DSG
Fuel Economy: Max 54, 44 avg

I've been eyeing up Canyons and Colorados (crew-cab) with the VM 2.8 Diesel for a while, I made the mistake of test driving one the other day. Now I really want one.

Don't worry JFettig I won't try to have you bail me out during a timing belt like the Liberty! :-)

Am I crazy for considering this? my Jetta has been such a great car (owned since new) and we all know they aren't making anymore. Anyone wrench on one of these yet?
Old March 28th, 2018, 06:34   #7818
JFettig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLSTDI View Post
I've been eyeing up Canyons and Colorados (crew-cab) with the VM 2.8 Diesel for a while, I made the mistake of test driving one the other day. Now I really want one.

Don't worry JFettig I won't try to have you bail me out during a timing belt like the Liberty! :-)

Am I crazy for considering this? my Jetta has been such a great car (owned since new) and we all know they aren't making anymore. Anyone wrench on one of these yet?
Don't worry, I don't live anywhere near you anymore
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2018, 13:46   #7819
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Nick is North Country Diesel in Cambridge. I too have his phone number but will not broadcast it.
Wavetrac LSD, Bosch 230'a with RC4.5, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2018, 11:47   #7820
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Thank you to those not broadcasting my number. I really appreciate it.

FWIW - customers of mine get my personal number and can contact me with questions. For those not yet customers you can do the same via PM or my email listed in my profile.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2018, 17:08   #7821
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Two decent TDIs just showed up on Craigslist:

1) A low-mile rust-free 2002 Jetta TDI in Maple Grove
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...553908594.html

2) And a low-mile 2006 Golf TDI up north
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...553908594.html
'03 Golf with 710k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2018, 17:19   #7822
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

somebody just snapped up a green auto wagon from under me a month or two ago

seller was kind of a boob, left his address in the ad, then would only reply to emails once a day with no direct answer to stuff like "when can we meet up? I've knocked on your door twice now." being replied to with only "Where'd you get my address?"
Had the thousand cash in hand, he sold it to someone that needed a few days to get the money together before I could actually get him to answer the door. :\
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2018, 01:45   #7823
DI fan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 city(wife) 44 city(me) 48 highway. Best 52

So, I replaced the IP seals and my beast won't start. Side note... The bad turbo has also been replaced. Ive bled this system a about 20 times. I'm still looking at a fueling issue. When I bleed the injector line the fuel comes out but it never sprays in a stream out of the injector. I removed an injector from the head to watched the spray pattern....... Fuel never sprays out the line. Only floods out. Do I have a bad pump? I think tomorrow I will check the rest of the
Injectors outside of the head to see if they spray. Is it normal for a injection pump
to last 225k?

Last edited by DI fan; April 14th, 2018 at 01:47.
DI fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2018, 05:11   #7824
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI fan View Post
Do I have a bad pump? I think tomorrow I will check the rest of the injectors outside of the head to see if they spray. Is it normal for an injection pump to last 225k?
I don't think there is a "normal" life for an IP. Some fail early, while others like the one in my red Golf just seem to last forever. I bought a spare from a Club member in Columbia Heights about five years ago, thinking I would soon need it. But no, my original still works just fine, so I actually have a spare that I'm not using.
'03 Golf with 710k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2018, 10:11   #7825
[486]
Veteran Member

when mine was opening the DVs but not the injectors it was that I'd installed the 3-flatted plunger endcap with a hammer and chisel, it didn't seal quite well enough to make enough pressure to actually open the injectors

carefully combobulated a copper washer in there and it worked again until I could get the new part in.
Old April 14th, 2018, 21:33   #7826
DI fan
Veteran Member

Before I replaced the seals I did get the fuel to spray out of the lines. Currently no spray out of the injectors tip. If i let the pump head come out too far when replacing the seal and the shim dropped out of place would this make it so the pump would not build enough pressure to spray out of the injectors?

If the shim dropped out and I cranked the engine over a lot would this damage the pump?

Tomorrow after I shovel all this damn snow I'll open up the top of the pump and look to see if anything looks amiss.
Old April 14th, 2018, 21:34   #7827
DI fan
Veteran Member

486 are you saying the shim dropped out and you were able to get one back in while the pump was still on the car?
Old April 14th, 2018, 21:55   #7828
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI fan View Post
486 are you saying the shim dropped out and you were able to get one back in while the pump was still on the car?
no, the end cap with three flats, not internal pump parts

If it did fall out it'd likely slide around in the spring cavity, not much for it to get hung up on on that side of the camplate, the advance mechanism port is on the other side of the camplate.

If you do see it in the bottom there it's pretty easy to get it back, just gotta pull the pump and take the head loose with it held vertical, stack the bits back in and then tighten the four bolts. T-belt tensioner can be done with a 90 degree nose snap ring pliers, and cam timing will be unchanged as you are using the same belt again, so no need to do anything but mark the belt and pulley at both the IP and camshaft.
You do have to retime the IP, but you can not hurt the engine adjusting that, just bump it forward and backward a tiny bit at a time until it stops setting codes if you only have a cheap code scanner. Easier with a vag-com, but not necessary.

ETA: you might be able to get it all schlepped back in there with the pump body on the car by using brake clean to get its pocket in the plunger dry-clean and using some sticky grease to hold it while trying to stick the plunger, head, and return springs all back in there, but that's a very fiddly job with very high chances of dropping parts where they'll never be found (between the accy bracket and block)

Last edited by [486]; April 14th, 2018 at 21:58.
Old April 15th, 2018, 18:00   #7829
DI fan
Veteran Member

I got car started. I think I t was the QA. On Friday I tried to hammer mod it back to my marks but it wouldn't move. Today I loosened the four bolts a lot more and it moved easily. I did notice that it was way over to the passenger side of the car. I tapped it all the way over to the driver side and it started on the first try. I'm going to try some test drives once the streets are clear of all this snow. Good news is that I don't see any leaks from the pump.
Old April 25th, 2018, 12:02   #7830
h4vok
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 to 50

I jacked up my car recently and had one of the rear springs fall out of its perch and when I set it down the rear spring snapped 2 of the coils off. Do any of you have a MK4 rear spring I could buy off you? Or know of a junk yard or similar that would be a good place to look? My suspension is stock but need a temporary fix.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote