HELP: CPO Buying advice needed

MedicPatriot

TDI
No TDI's...yet
So after a long time of research I know what actual fair prices are on the new Jetta, compared to the sticker price.

When I saw a nice CPO, I realized I have no idea what to pay for these things compared to the sticker price.

2012 CPO Price: $20,488 Mileage: 20,713 miles
2013 New price: I think sticker is like $25,000 and average paying price is $22,000.
KBB Value: exactly the same as CPO list price

So, how do I know how much I should haggle for? If I could get lower, I would consider buying this. If they don't move down much, I may as well just opt for a brand new vehicle considering they are about the same price. I just don't know how much wiggle room there is on a CPO or how much below blue book you can really get on them.

any ideas?

Last edited:

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
My opinion....they're used cars. So treat them as such. Don't let "CPO" fool you into paying above used car price.

It'd be different if only a couple thousand miles were on it. But it's 20k.

The price doesn't sound bad but what's the final number? It's a give and take. If they start piling onto the price then you might need to reevaluate or renogtiatue. Up to you.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Just looked at the link you posted, for a new one with the same features ( that is the lowest trim line TDI) I had a dealer down to 21500 new. 1500 off for a year of usage and 20k miles, I wouldnt bite.

jaymzaugust

TDI
2009 Jetta
Yeah, what they said. Plus you're already halfway to a very expensive 40,000 mile DSG service!

Victor Ward

TDI
2013 Jetta 6MT
I just got my CPO 2013 manual Jetta (no sunroof/nav) for $20,495 before tax. I think that was as good as it was going to get.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got my CPO 2013 manual Jetta (no sunroof/nav) for $20,495 before tax. I think that was as good as it was going to get.
Need more info for that to be helpful, Mileage, condition, I do see tho in your handle that it is a 6 sp correct?

Victor Ward

TDI
2013 Jetta 6MT
Need more info for that to be helpful, Mileage, condition, I do see tho in your handle that it is a 6 sp correct?
I stated in my post that it is a manual, all 2013 manuals are six speed. The car is mint, it only had 6675 miles on it. I meant to put the mileage in the first post but clearly left it out.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
I stated in my post that it is a manual, all 2013 manuals are six speed. The car is mint, it only had 6675 miles on it. I meant to put the mileage in the first post but clearly left it out.
See, thats a fair price. But for the OP whos car has 15k more miles and only knocking off 500$...

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
CPO - doesn't certify the previous owner used quality fuel, did a proper engine break in procedure, and the CPO inspection is often pencil whipped by the car wash tech.

With the known fear factor of the hpfp I wouldn't never buy a used cr tdi, unless it came from a tdiclub member who used fuel additives or b5 in each tank.

happyfast79

TDI
red 2012 tdi base with manual
Not a CPO but i just bought a 2012 tdi with a manual tranny with 36,000 miles all services done by the dealer for $17500

mdeyoe88

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6SPD
I picked up a 2012 Jetta TDI Premium w/o Nav 6SPD for 17k CPO, it just had 50k miles. Very clean and from my inspections seems accident free. Will be 100% sure once I detail it.