BRM Cam replacement update...and price estimate for anybody wondering...

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI Special Edition
BRM Cam replacement update...

OK so I just wanted to give an update on my cam replacement situation.
1) I have chosen to go with the BEW profile Stage II Colt camshaft. Based on my research, I will probably experience a slight loss in hp/tq, but going with the BEW profile should help with the lubrication issues a little bit, and hopefully improve this camshaft's life expectancy.
2) I was also looking at some dyno readings from a stage 3+ BRM, where the owner went from the stock BRM cam to the BEW stage II cam...and it looked like the torque curve was evened out, and torque increased earlier in the lower RPM range. I can't find the thread right now, and please understand this is not a main reason for my decision to go with the BEW cam. I have chosen this camshaft purely to increase my chances of improved lubrication (and ultimately camshaft life). I did want to mention this just as an aside though. If anybody wants to comment on this, feel free. I'm completely aware that this was a stage 3+ car, and this is a SINGLE car's dyno readings. Results may be very different for myself or anybody else.
3) I will be doing the work myself, including drilling the bearings as Frank explains in the camshaft reengineering thread here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=253137&highlight=cam+bearing+reengineering
Feel free to comment or make any suggestions.

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
You promised your old cam's imspection pics in the previous thread but never posted them!!! :(

Could you also post old/stock cam's VS the new one (modified) high resolution close comparison pictures too?

Thanks!

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI Special Edition
lol yeah, I did post them but in a different thread. I'll try to find them tomorrow and post them here.

I don't have the new parts yet, and it will be a little while before I tear into the engine (probably Christmas break) but I will be taking detailed pictures of the entire process.