Sunoco Gold Diesel

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
Sunoco is now providing Gold diesel at all its Barrie oultets. I filled up at the station by my house (Blake / Johnson). Oh my god what an improvement in performance!! I used to fill up at the Husky at hwy 88/400 but not anymore, Sunoco Gold kicks ass !! and it's 2 cents cheaper than the garbage at the husky

flair.14

Veteran Member
TDI
02 black Bora
Unfortunately, diesel gold is only available at select Sunoco stations. There isn't one near where I live (northwest side of Toronto) and I must suffer with the Esso or Petro brand of diesel

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Sunoco Gold is what it's called in Canada. Don't know what it's called in the USA.

flair.14, where are you? I'm in Brampton. The Shell station at Bovaird Drive just east of Hwy 410 has Shell Ultra Diesel, I've found it to be good.

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
Flair,

Even though it is not Gold diesel, the regular Sunoco diesel is really good.

did you try the Sunoco at steeles/islington? I haven't been in the area in a while, but I remember it is a small station, they might not even have diesel there.

famous

Veteran Member
flair.14 Don't sweat the Sunoco Gold.Your car will work just fine on any BRAND NAME,HIGH VOLUME diesel fuel.I've tried "the gold" on 3 or 4 occasions and didn't notice any difference.Now I fill up with Shell Ultra,or Pioneer Diesel.They seem to work equally well.When I used "the gold",my engine was not quieter,not more powerful, not more economical,nor was there any increase/decrease in smoke.Also it didn't start any better or worse.I'm sure the fuel is fine,but so is a LOT of other stuff.

flair.14

Veteran Member
TDI
02 black Bora
Just what I was thinking but still I wasn't satisfied. I went on the Sunoco homepage and feverously checked for any fuel stops with diesel gold near my home and I found 1 some 10 minutes away. Its on Martin Grove and Rexdale for those who live in west side of Toronto

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
Famous,

You state that it doesn't matter which brand of diesel you use, however, you go on to state that Shell Ultra and Pioneer are equally as good.

Sounds kind of like a turn around to me, what about Esso? or Ultramar? or Husky? or Petro-Can? Have you tried their high test diesels? If what your saying is true, then they would be all equally as good too, which I know is not true

Yes, I did notice a big improvement in my vehicle after using Sunoco gold. I drive my car almost 200KM every day, you don't drive my car 200KM every day. Do you drive your car almost 200KM every day?

Remember, I am in Barrie, and the only high test diesel around me is Sunoco Gold Diesel, and yes, there is a major improvement over the regular stuff. Yes, I do notice better performance then with Shell Ultra. I don't know about the others because I haven't tried them.

famous

Veteran Member
darrin,Actually,I drive my car 265 k's /day,just to and from work,never mind evenings and weekends.
I tried the "gold" because I heard it was good,but I didn't notice any difference between it and the other stuff I use,primarily because of convenience.I have Shell and Pioneer stations close to my house,and a Shell close to my office.I don't know what grade Pioneer is,but I use Either of the Shell grades,depending on which pump is open.I'm not saying Esso,Husky,Texaco,or any of the others aren't as good,I can't remember trying them.Actually,wait.The best tank of fuel ,for distance,was from Esso on the New York State Turnpike in Angola.
I try to find a BRAND NAME station,that has busy Diesel pumps, I feel more comfortable doing this.I'm on my 5th VW diesel,second TDI,and no problems so far....touch wood.
Sorry,I didn't find the "gold" to offer any noticeable difference.

famous

Veteran Member
flair.14.That Sunoco at Rexdale & Martingrove is right where my office is.They didn't sell Diesel the last time I looked (it has been a while though)just gas.They only had one small island to dispense fuel,maybe they've added something.I'm going to check on my way to the office in the A.M.
Thanks for the tip.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Chill, Darrin... no need to get all over famous for his comment about Gold Diesel. I used to find famous' comment odd, but not anymore.

Lets think about it, I have the same feeling about Gold Diesel as you do the first time I use it. My Golf feel much better with Gold Diesel than other REGULAR diesel. The catch here is "regular". For myself, I don't have access to other permium diesel like Shell Ultra. Instead there are only non high volume diesel station selling rot gut regular diesel until lately.

So I won't be suprise if famous doesn't find improvement from Gold Diesel compare to other premium fuel. But for me, I'll only fuel up with Gold Diesel until there are other comparable choices around my area.

Just my 2 cents...

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
Well, as I have found out, name brand premium diesel is hard to come by in Ontario, which I find very odd, considering the nummber of people driving tdi's, and big diesel pickup trucks.

I drive to Mississauga to work every day and don't know of any in the whole west end of Toronto that supply premium diesel, and the only ones offering regular diesel are the mom and pop gas stations.

I did fill up with shell ultra diesel( ithink that's what it is called) a few months ago when I was in Brampton. It was at the corner of hwy7 and airport rd if I remember correctly, but I had just bought the car, and it was my first fill up.

I didn't notice any improvement in performance, but I know the guy that had it before me is an addative freak, so that's probably why.

Other than that shell, it is only the sunoco stations I know of in barrie that supply the high test fuel.

Anyways, sorry to snap like that. I am trying to quit smoking so my nerves are all crazy right now.

flair.14

Veteran Member
TDI
02 black Bora
famous,

Don't bother going there. I passed by and noticed they only sold gas. After calling the Sunoco head office, I informed them that their website was inaccurate and they fixed it within an hour

veedub_tdi

darrin,
there is a sunoco on DUNDAS that sells the gold. Do you know where the Erin Mills auto centre/mall dealer complex is? Its across the street from that thing, they sell gold there, check the website for the exact street by street location.

veedub_tdi

actually I just did a search, there are nine of them in mississauga.
Mississauga, Ontario 2743 Derry Road East
Mississauga, Ontario 5835 Airport Road
Mississauga, Ontario 1401 Matheson Boulevard East
Mississauga, Ontario 2121 Dundas Street East
Mississauga, Ontario 655 The Queensway East
Mississauga, Ontario 5555 Kennedy Road
Mississauga, Ontario 20 Bristol Road West
Mississauga, Ontario 5965 Dixie Road
Mississauga, Ontario 6015 Mclaughlin Road

Im sure one of them is close to where you work, Barrie to Mississauga! wow, I thought I was nuts going from Scarborough to Mississauga for school!

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
Thanks for that info veedub_tdi. The Derry Road one is relatively close to me, and so is the airport road one. I'll check them out.

I know where the Erin Mills auto complex is. I used to live at Collegeway /Erin Mills Pkwy, so I know the area quite well. But now it is too far for me.

Right now I drive from the north end of Barrie, to Derry/Goreway. My route is as follows 400S->401W->409W->427N->DerryW->Goreway. It's not that bad, only about 100KM. It really bothered me when I was driving my Crapalier, but now that I have my TDI, I love the drive.

I used to goto school as well in Mississauga, even further west. hwy10/Britannia during the morning rush it was a real pain doing that 401 stretch.

flair.14

Veteran Member
TDI
02 black Bora
veedub_tdi,

Those fuel stops you mentioned don't carry the diesel gold but regular diesel. There is only 1 Sunoco station in Mississauga (well according to the website) that carries diesel gold and that is on Dundas just west of Erin Mills Pkwy. I'm not sure if you were implying those stations carry diesel gold but I just want to clarify this for anyone who was thinking of going to those stations listed

veedub_tdi

flair 14,
your right, I clicked the wrong box!

sorry about that, darrin, hope you get this before you make the trek out there, but flair.14 is right, the only one out in mississauga is the one across the Erin Mills autocentre.

once again sorry for the confusion!

TDI ESEL

Veteran Member
TDI
Do we really need to know?
If you go to their "find stations" page and click only Gold Diesel w/o selecting City you'll get the list of 12 stations. There's one in Midhurst, I hope that's not too far away (it is for me, unless I'm going to Midhurst). There was one in downtown Barrie, but it's not listed there. The website is not up to date.
http://sunoco.ca/fnd_lc_stations.asp

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: TDI ESEL ]</p>

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
famous,

For 2 years I thought that taking the 407 saved me time. So I paid them their 7 cents/km and just drove on it and thought nothing of it.

Then, A dood I work with whom also lives in Barrie (different shift) told me that it takes the same amount of time to take the 409. I seriously told him he was full of it but said I would try it just for the hell of it and to prove him wrong. So we bet on a cup of coffee.

So I took the 409 instead the next day, and you know what? it took me the same amount of time.
Both routes take me 50 minutes to drive. Avg speed of 120km/h. It's wierd cuz one would think that doubling back up north on the 427 would take extra time. So your assumption is quite logical and made the most sense to me for quite some time.

So in the end I ended up saving $40.00/month on ETR bills
, and it cost me 1 double double from Tim Horton's cuz I was proven wrong.

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
famous,

Nah, you can get me a tea instead
It is one of my new years resolutions to not drink so much coffee as well as quitting smoking.

BTW. Is there another GTG planned sometime in the new year yet? My company staff Christmas party quashed my plans of going to the last one

Anyways, have yourself a great Christmas, and a happy new year. Drive safe.

Cheers,

Darrin

flair.14

Veteran Member
TDI
02 black Bora
I passed by the Sunoco station at Weston and Langstaff and spoke to the owner. Right now they have regular diesel and in late January, they will replace those diesel pumps with DIESEL GOLD!!! The owner told me they installed regular diesel pumps just to see how high the volume would be on the diesel. If it was high enough (this particular stop reached its goal) then they would install diesel gold. I suppose this applies to all Sunoco stops with regular diesel

flair.14

Veteran Member
TDI
02 black Bora
On a side note, the Sunoco stop at Langstaff and Weston has a kick ass touchless car wash. I've been to other car washes (Esso and Petro Canada) and none of them compare to this work of art. Check it out if your in the area. It is well worth the money

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
Flair,

I do agree that the touchless car wash there really does kick ass!! It's amazing! If i have time on my way to work, I always goto that car wash.

That is good that they are putting Gold Diesel at there pumps. However, I am under the impression that by spring, all Sunoco stations will be required by company policy due to pressure from Volkswagen of Canada and CAA to provide Diesel fuel with a cetane rating of at least 49. Of course I am speculating here, I am going only by what the attendants at the stations are saying.

I am researching the issue to see if they are actually being pressured by other companies, or whether it's simply an issue of marketing and competition. So far I don't have any cold, hard evidence.

I do know that retail sales of Suncor Corp. went through the roof when they started supplying Sunoco Ultra 94 brand high octane gasoline. So they are probably losing ground on diesel sales and need something "better" than everyone else to regain their market share.