Bew TB service- change the studs?

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hey everyone, how necessary is it to change the roller and tensioner studs with all the rest on a TB service?
I see many kits for sale from recommended sellers that do not include the studs, which to me, begs the question on necessity.
Also was wondering how likely stud changing can booger up the job? I’d hate to find one stuck or stripped.
Dave

jasantos40

TDI
g4 tdi
Hey everyone, how necessary is it to change the roller and tensioner studs with all the rest on a TB service?
I see many kits for sale from recommended sellers that do not include the studs, which to me, begs the question on necessity.
Also was wondering how likely stud changing can booger up the job? I’d hate to find one stuck or stripped.
Dave
Have changed in some, haven't changed in some, the ones I've changed was because on eye inspection, it wasn't safe. Also some kits provide the bolt, some don't.

But more important is to apply the right torque!

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Only have changed the nuts. Never the studs. Pretty sure the nuts are the tty part and not the stud.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I see no reason to change them unless there is some kind of damage to them.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Only time I ever change them is if some idiot before me was in there and mangled them and/or severely overtorqued the nut and I feel like may have stressed the stud beyond its design limits.