Which is better 2014 or 15 Jetta TDI or are the identical

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The 2014 if she's likely to forget about adding DEF every so often. Otherwise, pretty much a toss up.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I have both, I agree the 2015 has more power but it looks like more complex as well. I would go for EA 189 particularly if it's offered for a lower price.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
2015 gets my vote. New body style, will look "current" longer (girls pay attention to looks...), a little more power and nicer interior.

The DEF is a non-issue, about as big a problem as adding windshield washer fluid really.

The more important difference is price, though. If the difference is negligible, 2015 all the way.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The body is the same. The "new" Jetta just came out, as a 2019 model.

DEF is as easy as adding washer fluid, you are correct. However, UNLIKE washer fluid, the SCR is a system that has its tank and lines heated, the pump is a complex dosing device linked to a very complex injector (these have already had problems), and is a controlled/monitored system that can cause the car to go into a failsafe mode and/or not start. Never had a windshield washer system cause any of that.

Plus, the 2015 engine is mostly new, it has really no track record. We've already seen its complicated variable displacement water pumps fail, multiple times. It also has a variable displacement oil pump, although that has been employed in some gasoline engines for a while now without much issues beyond a sensor here and there.

The 2015 engine also, somehow, and I didn't even think this was possible, has an even MORE complicated cooling system. I dread the day I have to tell someone they need a thermostat on one. Seriously. :(

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
The body is the same. The "new" Jetta just came out, as a 2019 model.

DEF is as easy as adding washer fluid, you are correct. However, UNLIKE washer fluid, the SCR is a system that has its tank and lines heated, the pump is a complex dosing device linked to a very complex injector (these have already had problems), and is a controlled/monitored system that can cause the car to go into a failsafe mode and/or not start. Never had a windshield washer system cause any of that.

Plus, the 2015 engine is mostly new, it has really no track record. We've already seen its complicated variable displacement water pumps fail, multiple times. It also has a variable displacement oil pump, although that has been employed in some gasoline engines for a while now without much issues beyond a sensor here and there.

The 2015 engine also, somehow, and I didn't even think this was possible, has an even MORE complicated cooling system. I dread the day I have to tell someone they need a thermostat on one. Seriously. :(
Brian, you are correct. I don't know why I read Jetta and thought Golf.

The Jetta bodies are indeed identical. The Golfs is where the difference between 2014 and 2015 is.

My bad, I stand corrected.

I agree with the rest of your assessment, with regards to the Jettas.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I have seen the '15s water pumps fail and puke black, gooey crap all over the timing belt area. It has the newer style pump with active shutter.

Jason

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
the 2015 engine is mostly new, it has really no track record.
And, unfortunately, it's likely to stay that way, considering how it effectively became a 'one-year only' engine.
Pretty weird to think about - a 2015 MY car having a one-production-year only engine. I had thought that stuff was done away with in the mid-90s when auto manufacturers figured out that quirky stuff was too cost prohibitive.

I have the same questions as well. For some reason, I'm really drawn to considering buying a post-scandal car. I've never bought a car new, and the youngest vehicle I've ever had is 13 years old.
I'm an extremely frugal buyer, and pay close attention to depreciation, maintenance costs, common issues, etc. But still, the buyback cars seem to almost be too good a deal in some respects - mostly the ~50% MSRP price tag for a sub-30k mile vehicle that comes with a crazy warranty.
a 2015 Golf TDI 6MT w/30,000 miles for $15,000? and 50mpg?

I just feel like I'm missing something or thinking about it all wrong. Can't tell perceived differences between the '14s and '15s. I can't properly gauge how they will stand up to, say, an A4 Golf.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We were at Automechanika two weeks ago and one water pump manufacturer said that VW has dropped the variable mechanism in replacement pumps. Aftermarket pumps don't have it. Funny thing is they still include an electrical connector so you have a place to plug in the power for the variable mechanism.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Why do you say that, Brian?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We were at Automechanika two weeks ago and one water pump manufacturer said that VW has dropped the variable mechanism in replacement pumps. Aftermarket pumps don't have it. Funny thing is they still include an electrical connector so you have a place to plug in the power for the variable mechanism.
That seems like a good idea and is pretty hilarious at the same time. I guess people would think they got the wrong part without the connector. Now that I've thought about it , it probably closes the circuit so the ecu isn't unhappy and throwing codes.

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
But still, the buyback cars seem to almost be too good a deal in some respects - mostly the ~50% MSRP price tag for a sub-30k mile vehicle that comes with a crazy warranty.
Been thinking the same way.

I miss the bottom end driving a 1.4 TSI

oilhammer

TDI
Why do you say that, Brian?

Have you seen the cooling system? I seriously do not know of any engine that is that complicated, aside from some hybrids. Although the newer Budak turbo gasser is pretty complex too.

It technically is not all that different from the CKRA engine in the NMS Passat, as it has the coolant flowing through the charge air cooler too, but it has essentially two loops. The self study guide has some good info.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm intrigued by the 1.4 TSI gasser (gasp!) in the '19 Golf. Available with a 6 speed manual. But this discussion makes me think I'm better off continuing to maintain my MKIV TDIs.

oilhammer

TDI
I like the 1.4L more than the 1.8/2.0L for sure... it has a proper belt driving the cams, and VAG knows how to do that pretty good. Still, the fuel economy won't come close to the TDI. Even the much bigger and more powerful TDIs will still use less fuel.

But at least the Golf gets the engine now instead of just the Jetta. The 2019 Jetta is a hideous ugly thing.... good grief I have seen a couple on the road already. No thanks. I thought the NCS was a pretty smartly styled conservative looking sedan, too.

In other news, Toyota has finally once again felt us worthy of a proper Corolla hatchback again. A little "Jetzony" looking, but a nice option. The last Corolla hatch sold here was WAY back in 1988, the FX, and that car was a 1984 platform.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
In other news, Toyota has finally once again felt us worthy of a proper Corolla hatchback again. A little "Jetzony" looking, but a nice option. The last Corolla hatch sold here was WAY back in 1988, the FX, and that car was a 1984 platform.

And available with 3 pedals to boot.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Been called the Corolla IM for years. Seems Toyota recently changed the name from "Corolla IM" to "Corolla Hatchback"

oilhammer

TDI
Been called the Corolla IM for years. Seems Toyota recently changed the name from "Corolla IM" to "Corolla Hatchback"

Never heard of it, nor seen one here. Looks like the hatchback they had offered (with minor updates) just about everywhere else BUT here. Like the one Clarkson trashed in New Zealand (a rental, LMAO). Scion is gone, so it may have worn a Scion badge here prior, but it couldn't have been for very long, as I've never seen one.

Edit: Scion iM was available here for the 2016 model year, that's it. While similar, it is not the exact same car.

Taken from Car & Driver:

Enter the all-new 2019 Corolla hatchback, which rides on a new platform, has a new engine and transmissions, and benefits from fresh styling inside and out. The new car effectively replaces the previous iM model; a redesigned Corolla sedan will bow later. It’s too early to know if we’ll actually feel much love for it from a driving standpoint, but it seems promising and, to our surprise, actually looks good.

So I looked on one of the dealer auction sites, and sure enough for 2017 and 2018, there is a Corolla iM... didn't even know they had those. I have never seen a single one. And I drive past a couple Toyota dealers every week!

Last edited:

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf

Never heard of it, nor seen one on our shores. Looks like the hatchback they had offered (with minor updates) just about everywhere else BUT here.
My friend test drove a Corolla IM in June of 2017. In America - Silver Spring, MD, to be exact.
Maybe you haven't seen one because it hasn't been in your shop ;)
Is this Corolla IM basically the same as the Scion iM we have now?
Just googled Scion iM.
Yes, it would seem that way. The Scion is a pretty clear clone of the Corolla iM/hatchback/whatever.
Always shocking to me to see such a late model Scion, as for some reason my brain keeps thinking they went away "years ago" like 2013. Maybe because I keep thinking of Saturn when someone mentions Scion.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The 2019 Toyota hatch looks much, much better than the 2018. More ford focus/mazda 3 styling , and less Prius.

oilhammer

TDI
I agree. While certainly not the Toyota of the '80s with cool stuff like Supra Turbos and Celica Alltracs and a turbodiesel pickup, they certainly seem to be trending away from the blah silver hair conveyance with a greige interior to something more sleek and modern. Except for the Prius. Good god those things get uglier every time I see one.