Trying to find front end tapping noise

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
01 Jetta - 5 speed
Just replaced a bunch of front end parts trying to cure this tapping/binding up noise from front driver side. It only occurs when taking off from a stop. Can feel it slightly in the floor under my feet as well as hear it. Thought it was the axle joint about to die but no.

Replaced driver side axle, spindle with new bearing, tie rod, ball joints both sides. (all these things needed to be replaced anyway so no big deal)

Could bad swaybar link or bushing (driver side) make a rapid tapping sound while under load taking off from a stop? That would be a cheap easy fix I guess. I also have spare motor mounts on hand if I need to get that drastic with it.

I understand it's difficult to say what it could be from a description on a forum but was wondering if anyone else has ever had a tapping noise from a swaybar bushing being bad?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
As suggested by Mike, could be the lower control arm bushing. However, if it is worn bad enough to be tapping surely you would have seen it when you were in there replacing axles, etc. If needed, replace with the TT solid bushing. Meyle will last about 16k miles,,,,

Or prolly those pesky anti-sway bar bushings. However, they usual report a thump, thump rather than a tapping noise. But, if your 01 has over 200k miles on it, those need to be replaced ........... fairly easy to remove but a PITA to replace.

Lastly, what about the motor mount Dog Bone. It bolts to the bottom of the transmission and straight back to the cross member below the PS rack.... Never replaced one but have read where they do go kaput especially when they become oil-soaked.

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
Thanks guys.

Control arm bushings are good!
Motor mount dogbone is good. I just replaced it a couple weeks ago (along with new bolts), made no difference to the noise.

It has 448,000 KM on it now.

The sway bar bushings and end-link is the path of least resistance now.... I'm not looking forward to doing a motor mount if that doesn't cure it. Thank you for your replies. Appreciated.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
As you said, the sway bar end links are worth taking a look at.

They are surprisingly noisy when they are worn, and don't really show all the wear unless you take them off on both ends.

I had a pair riding around in my trunk for a few months, since I bought them and then didn't think they were at fault, since the upper bushing was tight...

I eventually pulled the upper off a well, and found that the lower bushing was so loose that it would freely wobble in the end link collar.

It didn't even require lifting the car, since mine is missing the lower trim piece under the front bumper valance, and the noises are finally gone.

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
This was finally solved: driver side motor mount

It started as an occasional single tap when taking off from a stop, and over time while i chased it down became a full-on rapid tapping like a machine gun.
I replaced and or checked over every other bushing I could get at. I found a nearly new mount on a junker and bought new bolts. Sorted.

Edit: I should add that the car has 451,000 Km on it today so that mount didn't owe me anything.