2000 Jetta tdi timing belt ripped, setting the timing

den2tdi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2000 Jetta TDI
So I have a 2000 tdi with 1.9 ALH motor, couple weeks ago the timing belt ripped as my sister in law was driving it away from my house. Ordering a new timing belt kit and need to adjust the timing. No bent rods. Need some help how to adjust the timing. I have experience working on diesel mercedes but have not worked with vw's yet. thanks :)

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
No bent rods (maybe - did you check piston protrusion?) but I'm gonna wager a $40 bill that valve stems are bent, lifters cracked or mushroomed. Remove the valve cover and have a very, very close look at the top end for dings or spiderweb cracks on the lifters. Even if you have none, the valve may be mushroomed a bit.

Plenty of stories of "whew, no top or bottom end damage" after a timing belt let loose turn into dropping a valve less than 10k miles later.

den2tdi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2000 Jetta TDI
Im planning to take it apart in a couple of weeks due to my tight working schedule in the clinic. I was told that this engine has that safety space if the belt rips so the valves dont bend, was I told wrong?

Again Im a pro at Benz 80's and 90's diesel engines but have no clue about vw's.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
X2 to mudduck's post. You have an interference engine. Don't take a chance on pooching it.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
#2, #3, #5, #6 (and sorry for your misfortune having TB break)
Next step needs to be... pull the head off and send it out for renovation. Curious to know what the odometer reads, but unfortunately that doesn't affect the recommendation. My most recent "TDI friend" I have gotten to know... was introduced partially because he's getting his TDI back together for the 2nd time... after the timing belt broke and a mechanic put it back together without having the head renovated... it ran for almost exactly 1,000 miles before one of the cam followers came apart.

Good news for you is... (from what I have read on here, I'm not a guru...) majority of the time when TB breaks, the bottom end of the engine is OK. You still need to check piston protrusion as recommended above. But... if something mechanical in the head comes apart while running (such as what is highly likely to occur if you don't have your head re-done at this point...)... then there is significant risk of encountering a different kind of failure, wherein piece(s) of mechanical debris get into one of the cylinders when it fails... and the likelihood is greater for chewed up cylinder wall & piston, and bent rod.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Not to mention what happens when that debris hits the turbo!:eek:

...wherein piece(s) of mechanical debris get into one of the cylinders when it fails... and the likelihood is greater for chewed up cylinder wall & piston, and bent rod.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Im planning to take it apart in a couple of weeks due to my tight working schedule in the clinic. I was told that this engine has that safety space if the belt rips so the valves dont bend, was I told wrong?

Again Im a pro at Benz 80's and 90's diesel engines but have no clue about vw's.
You were very much given wrong information.
The valves (usually exhausts) and lifters almost certainly have been smacked. Valves don't appear as "bent" because they pretty much get straight inline contact. This damages the stem. Drive it that way and all seems fine, until the stem fatigue and break. Now the valve head falls into the cylinder and makes a big expensive mess.
Lifters that get hit often have anything from slight spiderweb type cracks to full blown apart. Easier to examine with cam out. Depending on the miles and damage, it's probably time for a new cam too.
Franko6 member is the guy to fix the head.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta

More like there is no clearance. You can take the valve spring off while the engine is at TDC and the valve just sits there. There is NO room at all.