What type of coolant?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Again I'll ask: have you been running 100% Dexcool in any given VW engine, or adding it to engines already containing G12?...
It is a mix. If there is a precipitate, it would be G12 precipitating, since it contains some silicate while Dexcool does not. However, in cases where it does happen, it would be due to a mix of acid and alkaline chemistries causing a precipitate. In these cases, the old green coolants are alkaline and contain much higher levels of silicates than OAT based coolants.

And no, I never claimed some people have not experienced problems with Dexcool, just that you, nor anyone else, have not posted photos of it nor provided documentation of it happening in a recent VW application. You, OH, are just as bad as anyone else at jumping to conclusions without considering all the details of a given post.

What I say is this: in 10 years of mixing Dexcool at varying levels with G12, I have experienced no problems. Is it the 'wrong' coolant? Probably depends on what you are selling. If you are a VW dealer, then sure, it is absolutely wrong. If you are an aftermarket vendor, then it is poison. If you have some sort of identity crisis going on, then I cannot help you; please spend too much money for no gain.

There are a number of people for whom travelling to a VW dealer to buy overpriced coolant is a PITA. Buying online is adding the insult of shipping to the aforementioned injury. For these people, telling them that using Dexcool will destroy their engine is a lie. You have no proof. I have tried Dexcool in my engine without any problem. It works for me.

I do not brag about spending too much money for something. To me, it is similar to shopping and paying $3/lb for the same apples I could buy at the other store for $1/lb. Sure, it is a different name on the shopping bag, but the apples taste the same.

Here, the analogy isn't perfect, but analogies seldom are. Hopefully you can see my point. Just because the coolant does not have a VW logo on the container does not mean that it will not do an excellent job, in fact as good as anything that does have a VW logo on the container.

But, please believe what you will. I know I cannot change your mind. If it makes you feel better to be using the 'right' vs the 'wrong' coolant, then go for it. Whatever soothes the ruffled feathers of your ego is OK with me.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And no, I never claimed some people have not experienced problems with Dexcool, just that you, nor anyone else, have not posted photos of it nor provided documentation of it happening in a recent VW application. You, OH, are just as bad as anyone else at jumping to conclusions without considering all the details of a given post.

I HAVE posted photos, and YOU were in that thread as well, spouting the exact same thing you are spouting now, and then you mysteriously shut up afterwards.... hrmmmm....

(no, I won't link the thread for you, search for yourself).

I work on these cars every day, lots of them, you do not. I will service more Volkswagens this week than you will probably own in a lifetime. If there is a cheaper way to do something, I always post about it, you know that. You do what works for you, you are not (nor will you ever be) my customer, so please don't tell me or my customers they are wasting money by spending an extra couple bucks every 100k miles on something as plebian as coolant. And no, you needn't buy it from a dealer or mail order it, plenty of places carry G12 coolant.

The mods should lock this thread now.... :rolleyes:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
you needn't buy it from a dealer or mail order it, plenty of places carry G12 coolant.
This is true. Most of the NAPA's and at least one Carquest up here carry the G12+ (or G12++...whatever). They carry the Pentosin 1.5L containers and are very easy to find. And if you can find it in rural Maine, it should be available just about anywhere else on the planet.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
But, please believe what you will. I know I cannot change your mind. If it makes you feel better to be using the 'right' vs the 'wrong' coolant, then go for it. Whatever soothes the ruffled feathers of your ego is OK with me.
Dude I thought I was as clear as could be that I don't have a dog in this fight... just asking a point of clarification:

And, not saying Dexcool will precipitate out in the presence of G12... indeed, that's why I'm asking. ;-)
IMHO fighting religious wars over brands of coolant is like fighting religious wars over oil or brands of tire cleaner...we each get to do our research and then make up our own minds. My question was genuine and respectful... I may in fact be stranded by the side of the road some day and will need to know if the Dexcool a passer-by is offering me will work.

Egos, ruffled feathers, etc had *nothing* to do with it, and I don't appreciate the hostility.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
It is a mix. If there is a precipitate, it would be G12 precipitating, since it contains some silicate while Dexcool does not. However, in cases where it does happen, it would be due to a mix of acid and alkaline chemistries causing a precipitate. In these cases, the old green coolants are alkaline and contain much higher levels of silicates than OAT based coolants.
What I say is this: in 10 years of mixing Dexcool at varying levels with G12, I have experienced no problems. Is it the 'wrong' coolant? Probably depends on what you are selling. If you are a VW dealer, then sure, it is absolutely wrong. If you are an aftermarket vendor, then it is poison. If you have some sort of identity crisis going on, then I cannot help you; please spend too much money for no gain.
There are a number of people for whom travelling to a VW dealer to buy overpriced coolant is a PITA. Buying online is adding the insult of shipping to the aforementioned injury. For these people, telling them that using Dexcool will destroy their engine is a lie. You have no proof. I have tried Dexcool in my engine without any problem. It works for me.
I do not brag about spending too much money for something. To me, it is similar to shopping and paying $3/lb for the same apples I could buy at the other store for $1/lb. Sure, it is a different name on the shopping bag, but the apples taste the same.
Here, the analogy isn't perfect, but analogies seldom are. Hopefully you can see my point. Just because the coolant does not have a VW logo on the container does not mean that it will not do an excellent job, in fact as good as anything that does have a VW logo on the container.
Not sure what your point is other than YOU are the one getting hostile and all bent out of shape from something so trivial. :rolleyes:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The G12++ and G13 are the same. The G13 is just supposed to be produced in a more environmentally friendly manner. G12,+,++, and 13 are all compatible. Pentofrost E is g13. I think pentofrost nf is g12+ or ++.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Pentosin's brand of coolant is:

Pentofrost NF: G11 (blue)

Pentofrost SF: G12+ (pink)

Pentofrost E: G12++ (violet)

We have all three on the shelf. :)

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
Okay, I'm confused a bit now. Just picked up a cpo '15 Passat tdi last week. I'm reading the manual and it says the car comes factory filled with g13 and not to mix any g12 or otherwise.... If so, it says you must flush or engine damage can occur. I say ok, and I go check the manual on the '13 sportwagen. Says the same thing. But I noticed the coolant reservoir on both vehicles has g12 printed on it. So what am I supposed to use here, and does it actually matter if I add pentofrost e to either of these vehicles? Seems to me the manuals are contradictory to what is printed on the reservoir.
Feel free to bonk me on the head in case I missed something totally obvious...