Standard setup replacement shocks/springs advice??

4Golf

TDI
VW Golf Mk4 Gt Tdi 130Bph
Hi

Can someone please please tell me what shocks and springs I should purchase to replace my worn out ones for 2002 Mk4 Golf GT TDI 130 PD. I want the original/standard setup and comfort with same ride height but I want good quality and long lasting without spending too much.

I’ve seen Bilstein b4 mentioned a few times which I feel might be my best option but I’m not completely sure if their the most suitable for me and I am not sure how to get a set of springs to match whatever shocks I get so I get a smooth ride and not issues with wrong size or strength of springs/shocks.

I’ve replaced shocks and springs in the past using local motor factors but I feel the quality has not been good and not lasting long and possibly not matching properly causing banging from the rear axle when crossing drops/bumps/pot holes etc.

Please can someone please advise me for this basic setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
You don't mention the model year of your car.
IMO "Sachs" struts and shocks would be the best for what you want.
It's been said that springs are either good or they're not.
Chances are you don't need to replace your springs.
But aside from shocks, there's a list of things to look at like rear axle bushings, lower control arm bushings etc.
Do a search google for "tdiclub suspension refresh"

4Golf

TDI
You don't mention the model year of your car
Hi STDOUBT thanks for your reply, and sorry it’s year 2002 model (edited above).

I did check the rear axle bushes and they seem good enough for another while. My car model doesn’t have lower control arms on the rear. I think your right about the springs, I wouldn’t change them every time shocks need replacing but the reason I am considering changing them this time is because I think they were not very well suited to the shocks that were fitted when they were done (all fitted at same time -new shocks + springs all round) which I think caused premature wear of the shocks.

After they were fitted the shocks had to be replaced immediately as when driving across a slight dip in a road the shocks would bang as they were extended fully, it was awful for a new suspension. I got them replaced thinking they were faulty shocks as when individually bench tested they created the same banging thud when they were fully extended only felt and heard much worse when fitted on the car. The next set weren’t much better but just a slight improvement and I was in much need of my car back on the road so I accepted them while grinding my teeth!

I think I had to jack up the rear axle spring base/housing with the springs in place in order to be able to fit the bottom shock bolts as the springs were pushing the axle below the shock bottom mounting holes.

I’m now wondering if this was the problem, were the springs to long for the shocks?

I don’t think there was much difference in travel length but maybe an inch or 2.
Is there a way to measure my springs to check their the right ones as I was just going by the motor factors at the time?

Last edited:

4Golf

TDI
And I have heard of people using Sachs spring/shocks, are they better than Bilstein?

dedededanny

TDI
'05 VW Golf - 300K
I replaced all 4 shocks + springs from blauparts.com as well as a couple timing belt kits. Might have put 10k miles on or so since replacing, and they're holding up great. No noises from them or anything, much better handling. I got the car heavily used, so I'm not sure what the stock suspension feels like, but it's comfortable enough. They describe it as "slightly stiffer than a stock comfort suspension". Can't complain.

4Golf

TDI
Hi dedededanny and MichaelB thanks for your replies. I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me on that brand. I would like to see what others think also and kind of get a vote sort of for 1 or 2 brands.

I’ve heard that the GT TDI model golf is supposed to be on a sport suspension and 30mm lower from factory than a standard TDI golfs suspension. Can anyone confirm this?

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Sachs are expensive. You can upgrade to konis which are improved, but also more expensive and possibly rusty. Bilsteins are your best bang for the buck, unless you’re loaded, then just go with konis. Sachs last a good long time. All will fail prematurely as st doubt said, unless your lca bushings, springs, rear axle bushings, sway bar links and ball joints are good.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Also factory ride height on non sport is 7*inches! No need to go lower unless you got more money to spend. I say keep stock ride height and get skid plate

4Golf

TDI
Also factory ride height on non sport is 7*inches! No need to go lower unless you got more money to spend. I say keep stock ride height and get skid plate

Is that 7 inches from top of arch to top of tire on rear?? I must be getting it wrong!?

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
I just did Koni SRTs and H&R lowering springs on my 05 jetta. Love the ride so far, the springs lower maybe an inch in the front and half inch in the back but most folks wont notice anything is different. And that's about all I know about struts:)

4Golf

TDI
Hi, just want to apologize here for not posting back sooner about my progress. Looking at screens too long and typing really tires me out a lot and I haven’t had much time as I’ve been very busy.
Anyway I have decided on standard Bilstein shocks and springs for my car in the end but I haven’t fitted them yet but when I do I’m sure they will be a good job. I considered some of the other brands mentioned to me including Sachs, eibach, fk and others but I felt Bilstein was the one for me and I can at least see what there like and I will know for future reference.

For all the help from everyone here, thanks to all, I just wouldn’t have had a clue what brands to look at or consider without knowing someone’s experience with them, so thanks again for sharing and for the help, appreciated much. Best of luck! [emoji106]

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
..... standard Bilstein shocks and springs for my car in the end but I haven’t fitted them yet but when I do I’m sure they will be a good job..... [emoji106]
In my opinion that is the best brand (Bilsteins) for your $$.
A word of advice if you're doing your suspension. At the same time replace the control arm bushings, ball joints and both tie rods. The resulting ride is just amazing. Replacing these few parts tighten the whole suspension.

bajaONE

TDI
2001 and 2003 Jetta ALH; 2016 golf Sportwagon TDI SEL
Shocks and such, for mk7, and my conditions, pot holes, speed bumps, washboard sand/dirt roads, dusty conditions. Car is 6 years old 50k miles. Would like less jarring ride. budget is about USD$800 ideally for materials.

I swear my mk4s have a better feel-comfort level. and they just have the autozone low end but new.

Last edited: