Ride height spec?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
I've got an '03 Golf with 145k miles, original springs and struts in the front and replaced rear shocks with Bilstein reds and Jetta springs from ID parts 5 years ago. Sits a little high in back which is good for the loads I haul and trailering, but headlights kinda low and dim when empty. Was looking for ride height specs to see if it's time to put on the front struts but can't find any in the manual, closest I could find was a front ride height (center of hub to fender lip dimension) of 370 mm, but was from a British forum and I suspect they were talking about an A4 Jetta. Does anybody know the proper ride heights for an A4?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I have an '02 Golf and I bought a set of coilovers for it, but the instructions gave the OEM height measurements as:

Front: 395mm
Rear: 390mm

See page 9:

http://www.solo-werks.com/docs/isheets/S1VW004_v1.2.pdf

Hope this helps.

It might be just me but I usually replace all 4 shocks/struts at once rather than front or back pairs. Unless you blow one and need a warranty most of the time if one or 2 are bad, the others aren't far behind

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My '05 Golf with Bilstein TC's and VR6 springs sits at ~ 27 1/4 inches measured from the fender to the ground. The TC's and new springs did raise up the front end about an inch or so.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
My '05 Golf with Bilstein TC's and VR6 springs sits at ~ 27 1/4 inches measured from the fender to the ground. The TC's and new springs did raise up the front end about an inch or so.
OEM specs go from center of wheel to fender lip at the highest point

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Thanks everyone, 'specially KrashDH for the specs. Looks like I'm about an inch low in the front and about right in the back, so I need to install the new struts/springs and looks like the 5 year old Jetta springs in the back have settled a bit. May be a while before I have time to take on the front springs and struts, so I cleaned the outside of the headlight lenses and cranked the headlight height adjuster 5 turns tighter on each side but still seems kinda low.