passenger drive axle came loose @triple roller joint

Kawasaki

TDI
03 Golf TDI
2003 golf started making a metal pinging sound while in motion. I lifted the car to find a loose allen bolt (and one missing) holding the triple roller joint housing at the inner end of the passenger axle. The lock plate was swinging and making the pinging sound. The Bentley suggests that they should be replaced every time. My question is: should you replace them all or can I replace the the 2 that came loose? Is there any harm doing it on the car? Any help would be appreciated!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Are you talking about the six bolts that hold the inner cv joint? If so since 2 have already backed out that has probably put some additional stress on the other 4. I think I’d replace them all and throw the old ones away.

Make sure you torque them properly, you dodged a major bullet, when that shaft comes loose while spinning it can do all kinds of damage. If it’s those six bolts you’ll have to replace them on the car

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I had this same issue, yes replace all the bolts, assuming you have oem axle. If it is chinese it should be replaced before you waste money on those expensive torx bolts. Also make sure the proper torx tool is well seated into the head of each bolt (I broke a bolt off in the housing). Spin the wheel hub and use enough lighting so you know the bolt won't strip. Those bolts are important!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
It's not torx it's tripple square

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Kawasaki

TDI
03 Golf TDI
Thanks for your replies everyone! New to me car that I'm trying to sort out. Last VW was a MKII GTI that wass much more simple in construction!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for your replies everyone! New to me car that I'm trying to sort out. Last VW was a MKII GTI that wass much more simple in construction!
I'd love to have a mk2 or 3 Diesel...they seemed so much more crafted and unique... honestly, and I've said it a million times, a mk4 Jetta is pretty much a "European" Civic...they made billions of them and most are treated as throw away cars...I would suspect TDIs are approaching the majority of MK4s still on the road...soon it'll just be enthusiast only and that saddens me...but I don't cry at the pumps...hahahaha

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW, I've reused the axle bolts multiple times and I'm making 275ish torque on a stock driveline and I've had the axles off the trans at least twice and never replaced them...but in your situation I'd at least go to the salvage yard for some pilfering and pull 12 for the spare parts pile...

Kawasaki

TDI
03 Golf TDI
I'd love to have a mk2 or 3 Diesel...they seemed so much more crafted and unique... honestly, and I've said it a million times, a mk4 Jetta is pretty much a "European" Civic...they made billions of them and most are treated as throw away cars...I would suspect TDIs are approaching the majority of MK4s still on the road...soon it'll just be enthusiast only and that saddens me...but I don't cry at the pumps...hahahaha

I was saying earlier today that I'd love to have this diesel in the light MKII body! This torquey motor would really move it!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Tighten, drive for a few hundred km's, tighten again to be sure. They are supposed to be replaced but many re-use them, but also with all the variables of 6 bolts, washers, spinning driveshaft sometimes people just don't tighten them enough.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I recommend using brake parts cleaner to spray the grease out of the holes and I would replace the one side.

Lock tight is awesome but you have to have clean threads.

The grease tends to allow the bolts to work their way out and I had a really weird sound when mine backed out.
So be sure the threads are clean and torque the bolts properly to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk