Power Service problems

Idrenak

I live and work in Kansas City for a truck line and thought I would pass this along FYI.
For the past 10 years we have been using P.S. with moderate sucsess. This last winter we had trucks freezing up all over the midwest. We run all 1999 Kenworths and didn't start having too much trouble until the temp droped to -5, then we were towing trucks in and having to put them in the shop to thaw them out. We noticed that our Minneapolis terminal had not had any problems and asked why. They were using a product called OTR 20. They were opperating at -20 with no freeze ups. We shipped in a 55 gal barrel and our problems ended. A 55 gallon barrel runs about $750.00 which is more than I will use in my lifetime. After calling the company they told me they have a retail line that is called Hot Stuff. OTR 20 or Hot Stuff is used by Yellow Freight in all of their equipment exclusively. I talked to one of their commercial sales guys and he was unsure of a retailer that carried it. Wanted to know if anyone has seen this stuff out on a retail shelf. I can buy it from our company in small quantities but it would be handy to have some well sealed quarts.

------------------
2001 White Jetta GLS TDI 5 spd Black Leather Interior

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
Question: Are you running straight #2 or blended? If you are running blended fuel, Minneapolis probably gets a blend closer to 50/50 whereas KC usually only does 70/30. But again, if you're using straight #2 at both places, that would suggest that PS isn't as good as OTR 20.

Also, don't your KW's have heated fuel systems? I thought that was pretty much standard equipment these days. Of course, it does no good on a cold start-up.

Idrenak

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cp:
Question: Are you running straight #2 or blended? If you are running blended fuel, Minneapolis probably gets a blend closer to 50/50 whereas KC usually only does 70/30. But again, if you're using straight #2 at both places, that would suggest that PS isn't as good as OTR 20.

Also, don't your KW's have heated fuel systems? I thought that was pretty much standard equipment these days. Of course, it does no good on a cold start-up.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both locations are blended 70/30 according to our fuel supplier in Minneapolis and yes the KW's have fuel heaters. We were all over KW and course they blamed the fuel.

M

mickey

That's strange. Properly blended winter diesel shouldn't gel at a measely -5 F., with or without additives.

-mickey