Help with my diesel geek short shifter kit

coalburner

TDI
96 Passat, 01 Jetta 02 Jetta Wagon
hi, Im "coalburner's" 17 year old daughter... He happens to be in Colorado at the moment while we live in illinois and im having some rather big problems with my car. A while back he put a diesel geek short shifter kit in my 96 VW TDI passat. It was fine at first, but it has progressively gotten harder to get it into first gear. Its now nearly impossible and i was wondering if anyone here could help direct me (and a friend much more in the know than i) in how to correct this little problem.

Many thanks,
Abby

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Emailing dieselgeek would be the best option. If you want to have a quick run at it, there is a side-to-side shifter that your dad installed under the hood. Check out side-to-side and take a look at step 5. That 13 mm nut might be the culprit. I had a bit of a loosening after I installed the kit myself..just tightened this up and was fine. Take a look at the other steps if you can't quite figure out where this is exactly.

The way I found to get things going is to get the car into reverse gear. (do the adjustments with the engine off) With the engine off, and the car in reverse gear, pop the hood, and find that bolt. Tighten it up. Don't really tighten this thing too hard, though...it is tightening onto plastic. So just get it snug, and tighten it a little more. See if that helps you...my car shifts perfectly now, so from my experience this is the way to do it.

If you need any help, send me an email...but best thing to do if you really need the assistance is email Jim (dieselgeek), or better yet...call him...if you have a cordless, he may be able to walk you through it.

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
I'm here pretty much always to help with my products. Gimme a ring at 866 375-4335 if you haven't figured it out...