B4 fuel gauge not working

james43

TDI
1999 Audi A4 Avant (AFN)
Hi all,

Just got my 1996 b4 TDI back from the insurance bodyshop after someone drove into it with a truck. I think it has been sat for a while because the dash lights were dim whilst the glow plugs were on, the battery is good quality etc and i've had no cluster problems before. The problem is that the fuel gauge is resting at the 'ignition off' position and doesnt seem to want to come to life. All the other guages are working along with the cluster.

Are there any fuses I should try or any tricks anyone can recommend to get it working again?

Thanks,

Jim.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'd start with the grounds. Get into the engine compartment, find the studs where wires are connected, take the wires off and clean everything there. Put back together and tighten up. I believe there are a couple near the air filter/battery areas.

james43

TDI
1999 Audi A4 Avant (AFN)
Thanks RDKern,

The gauge has just suddenly burst back into life and seems fine. The car was quite damp when it came back from the repair shop, i think the 'valets' had emptied a bucket of water inside judging by the amount of moisture inside. Dont know if that had anything to do with it?

Anyway thanks very much for the advice.

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
I had that issue, ends up one of my plugs in the back of the fuse box wasn't seated correctly. They may have bumped one at the shop, i'd suggest making sure its nice and tight in the plug to try to keep it from happening again.