Mercedes-Benz Unveils Diesel-Electric HYBRID

RCmodeler

Veteran Member
This was originally posted to the news section, but apparently it did not pass the censors, and they deleted it. So, here it is a second time:

[ QUOTE ]
This powerful hybrid consists of the state-of-the-art V8 diesel engine with 184 kW/250 hp from the S-Class and an electric motor (50 kW). As a result, the vehicle has 234 kW of total power and 860 Nm of torque available — top performance levels for this drive technology, which guarantees dynamic driving enjoyment. The Vision Grand Sports Tourer, for example, has the acceleration of a sports car — it can sprint from zero to 100 km/h in just 6.6 seconds. The car’s top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h.

The diesel hybrid system’s fuel consumption is equally exemplary, delivering 30 mpg (miles per gallon) according to the American measurement method. With future engine generations, the drive concept of the Vision Grand Sports Tourer will offer the potential for even more impressive fuel efficiency, at 33 mpg. In the European driving cycle, the Vision Grand Sports Tourer with a hybrid drive uses about 20 percent less fuel than a comparable diesel model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Full article: http://www.car-data.com/xpage.preview/pre.template.asp?mfg=mercedes&model=visiongst

CB

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Black
Wow 30-33 MPG, That is a hybrid?? What fast +++heavy bats and poor gas mileage? The a supercharged buick is about as fast, and gets 30.
I AM impressed.
NOT
CB&Stoker

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
[ QUOTE ]
Show me another V *8* that gets rated 30-33 MPG by the EPA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree - what does it matter about the number of cylinders in the engine? The 3.8L supercharged V-6 in the buick that the previous poster talked about makes 260 horsepower - the same as the previous generation LT1 Corvette V-8.

And with the LS1 V-8 in current C5 Vettes, 30+ MPG on the highway is easily accomplished.

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd
[ QUOTE ]

And with the LS1 V-8 in current C5 Vettes, 30+ MPG on the highway is easily accomplished.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the Vette has the same huge flat-plate area of a wagon, and carries 6 people or 4 people with luggage comfortably too... /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I agree, 30mpg isn't that great, but consider the size of the car. If that's 30mpg combined, does it do better in city or highway driving? I'm guessing hwy is still the higher number here (not like a Prius), and is probably around 35mpg.

A 20% improvement over the 400CDI is an improvement. And I'd guess this thing rides better and is safer than any Buick.

It doesn't really matter... give a hybrid some balls, today they will sell. Once they start to sell, people will begin to accept it, then you can sell them as efficient powertrains. Prius sale are doing well, but most people wouldn't even consider a hybrid. Maybe this thing will at least open their eyes a little, wether it sells or not.