Am I crazy for wanting to buy this conversion?!?

McFarlin109

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed Black 220k and still going strong, 2000 Jetta TDI white 5-speed 128k(parting out)
I found this 1974 Corvette TDI on the forums and on craigslist and ever since I have really really wanted it.
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/4796874106.html

I don't see much of a downside to it. I have always loved/owned classic cars and with this one you don't have to worry about the reliability issues of older cars. I think this would be a real nice daily driver it has awesome fuel economy and because it's much lighter than a MKIV TDI it should be quicker.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
This thing has been whored all over the internet. Im surprised no one has bought it yet. Then again the interior is terrible as I would guess the rest of the car is as well

McFarlin109

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed Black 220k and still going strong, 2000 Jetta TDI white 5-speed 128k(parting out)
This thing has been whored all over the internet. Im surprised no one has bought it yet. Then again the interior is terrible as I would guess the rest of the car is as well

The body and interior problems don't bother me. I like TDI's because they are reliable, economical, and German. I wouldn't even fix the exterior until I worked out the wiring and a dash on the interior.

Rafedial1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
No please don't buy this POS!

But what do you want out of this Corvette? Parts, a daily driver?, weekend cruiser?
or just the likely(in this situation money pit)?

Are you skilled in body work? Paint?

Or is it just cool to you?

I have personal experience with Diesel conversion projects and what completion entails...

It may be $4000 price, but to get it to DD duty and reliable, plan minimum $8k for this car.

It is rough, ugly, prone to expensive issues and not in any way reliable. Yes, the TDI is reliable, but when hacked together it is NOT!

Do you have a way to diagnose through OBDII port?, are you familiar with this GM chassis?

Is everything up to a decent safety standard?

Do you have at least a decent education in fab/weld, electrical and Diesel?

If you can say no to any of these questions, WALK AWAY!

Actually me personally, I would walk away if cost for this Vette was $500

Frickin HACK!

You wanna see a clean, functional, reliable Diesel muscle car swap from my past, PM me.

Last edited:

McFarlin109

Veteran Member
TDI
No please don't buy this POS!

But what do you want out of the this Corvette? Parts, a daily driver?, weekend cruiser?
or just the likely(in any situation money pit)?

Are you skilled in body work? Paint?

Or is it just cool to you?

I have personal experience with Diesel conversion projects and what completion entails...

It may be $4000 price, but to get it to DD duty and reliable, plan $8k for this car.

It is rough, ugly, prone to expensive issues and not in any way reliable. Yes, the Tdi is reliable, but when hacked together it is NOT!

Do you have a way to diagnose through OBDII port?, are you familiar with GM chassis?

Is everything up to a decent safety standard?

Do you have at least a decent education in fab/weld, electrical and Diesel education?

If you can say no to any of these questions, WALK AWAY!
I have owned 3 ALH engine TDI's(and parted out several), I also have Vag-Com for OBD diagnosis, I am a pretty good welder, and have access to a paint booth. There is not a part on that ALH engine that I can't diagnosis and repair. The only thing I would be weak with is electrical work but as a decent mechanic I could figure a way to work it out.But I would also be interested in seeing your diesel muscle car swap.

Last edited:

Rafedial1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I have owned 3 ALH engine TDI's(and parted out several), I also have Vag-Com for OBD diagnosis, I am a pretty good welder, and have access to a paint booth. There is not a part on that ALH engine that I can't diagnosis and repair. The only thing I would be weak with is electrical work but as a decent mechanic I could figure a way to work it out.But I would also be interested in seeing your diesel muscle car swap.
Ok, so you should be somewhat prepared for the worst with this Vette. I still strongly encourage you to not buy it.

I truly understand the fascination with Diesel swaps in Muscle cars, hell someday I think the quickest/fastest production cars(sports cars) will have some kind of Diesel/Electric hybrid drive-train in them. It may seem crazy now, but I am confident with free market capitalism and people's choice, demand,need, collective intellect it will come to fruition.

I can certainly direct link some pictures of a 94 Camaro/6.5L IDI Diesel with VNT turbo and run on Veg fuels I built in 2009, that I averaged 35 mpg mixed driving. But tonight I am tired and had a few beers. (see my other passionate posts here tonight). Visit DieselPlace.com and see the conversions section.

-Cody

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I wouldn't want it but that's just me. I don't think you should buy it unless you have a spare $10-$20k floating around that you can just flush down the toilet.

Some basic questions will tell you, like why do you want it? What would you use it for? Is it reasonably insurable? How safe is it?

Again, it's just me but it 1) does absolutely nothing for me and 2) will be nothing but a black hole of lost money.

my .02

Steve

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
If you can afford it. Go for it. You only live once. Some times the only question to ask is "Do I want it"? Wants and needs are totally different. When I was younger the question was "Do I need this"? Most times it was no. At this stage in my life the question is "Do I want this"? Guess what. The answer is mostly YES. That answer is directly related to the money in the bank.

Last edited:

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
if it were semi-local and half the cost i would buy it but certainly not at $4k... 2000-2500 is more like it.

to me the trans being mounted to the engine and then mounting them into the chassis is the hard part. but judging by the rest of the car i would say even this was likely done poorly and may need redo-ing

wiring work is annoying and i hate it but im capable of doing it.

i grew up next to a body shop that can fix anything... but that hood... theres no fixing that eyesore.

my bottom line, its a money pit and you will likely have to redo everything thats been done already just to make things right... but if it were half its current price i would accept that challenge.