Ohio to OBX

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Just got back from a week vacation from the Outer Banks. I'm happy to report that our 09 JSW with the DSG turned in 43.7 mpg calculated the old fashioned way. The cargo included two adults and one 30lb child and loaded to the max with luggage. One leg of the trip included a drive from Nags Head down to Ocracoke which the computer claimed 50+mpg. Great torque in the mountains and very few downshifts. No searching for gears like in the 2001 Corrolla we replaced.

Last edited:

OsirisTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Tech Package DSG Golf, Executive Egg
Yeah, we were there a few months ago. On Ocracoke, that road from Howards Pub to the ferry, my gasser wagon computer read close to 40 mpg.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
I see more people from Ohio at the OBX than any other state (save for NC). Why is that?

I'm not complaining...half the people in my vacation house are family members from Warren, OH.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
senez said:
I see more people from Ohio at the OBX than any other state (save for NC). Why is that?

I'm not complaining...half the people in my vacation house are family members from Warren, OH.
Not sure why that is. It seems like us Ohioan's typically leave the state when we go on vacation.

Last edited:

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Ted Hurst said:
Not sure why that is. It seems like us Ohioan's typically leave the state when we go on vacation.
yea not much to see in ohio, especially when people decide to go camping WV and VA arent far and perfect for the occasion.

However FL and AZ are the most common for ohioans for some reason...and they tend to move to those places too.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
It's two years later and we are going to make the same trip. This time we have a our four year old and our little one year old baby addition/tax deduction:). We skipped the trip last year because he was being born. We will be loaded to the gills. It should be interesting to see how our fuel economy compares to two years ago.

PS- I'll make sure to turn the engine off from Cape Hatteras to Ocracoke for maximum fuel efficiency.

Last edited:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
OBX trip for our family this year also. Family reunion on my wife's side. (will have plenty of cold fluids to keep my sanity) :D Maybe we can rename OBX "OHIOBX".
Heard a great joke the other day..... "If enough Yankees move to the South then maybe the South can win the next war between the North and South. :eek:
Drive safe!

OsirisTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Tech Package DSG Golf, Executive Egg
Looks like its the Gulf coast for us this year. Our initial visit to OBX was a fantastic trip. I'd go for Crab cakes and eggs every morning at Stack em high Pancakes, didn't matter how we spent the rest of the day. The beauty of our seashore and the the inland waterways at OBX....amazing.

VWWV

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 96, candy white
OBX trip for our family this year also. Family reunion on my wife's side. (will have plenty of cold fluids to keep my sanity) :D Maybe we can rename OBX "OHIOBX".
Heard a great joke the other day..... "If enough Yankees move to the South then maybe the South can win the next war between the North and South. :eek:
Drive safe!
I believe it was in NC that I first learned the difference between a "Yankee" and a "Damn'd Yankee"...the latter being one that comes down and STAYS. In microcosm, if the south had won there wouldn't have been the consistent population move southward. (shifting to the vernacular)..."there's reasons and it ain't because of the weather, neither". :)