Bew CV axle replacement

Bewtdi

TDI
2001 Golf
Hi I have recently replaced my OEM CV axle with a feq brand one . About a week later it sounds as if I haven't changed the acv axles it still .makes the clicking noise when I turn. I'm wondering if I should rebuild the outer CV joint on the OEM one or just replace the boot on it?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
ALL CV axles that are NOT made from OEM and basally not off the shelf from when the car was made are all garbage and you just pray that it lasts 1/4 the miles you had the last stock one. in my experience, about 100 axles though my hands, about 70% of them from NAPA, Autozone and the like type box store all fail within the first test drive to the next oil change. QC is garbage and the the finest chinesium is used full with the grit from sandblasting and all. avoid anything that says reman and so forth.

moving on, if it was installed properly and it failed, take it back for the warranty and get your moneys back and go to a junk yard, pull the axle you need and rebuild it yourself. as long as its stiff and not fubar (toorn boot and what not) you can rebuild them easily and will last a VERY long time with a good quality silicone grease and proper boot (again not from a box store.
Rock auto is ok, pelican parts is great, GAP, ECS, IDparts all have good products and is a safe purchase most of the time and all have great customer service.

Bewtdi

TDI
2001 Golf
Thanks for the response , I figured that feq is crap just thought I'd test my luck and learned my lesson . I phoned a local yard and they said they have a used axle off a Jetta for 115$ . Not sure if I should replace the boots on them right away.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Call around I got a used axle off eBay a couple of years ago that had new boots for about $60.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
WHAT A RIP OFF. no no no, go drive far enough to the closes pick and pull, you pay $5 bucks to get in and usualy parts like that are about $15 to $20, they are charging you the labor for them to pull it. SCREW THAT.
looks like there is a pick-n-pull near you
8600 Barlow Trail SE, Calgary, AB T2C 2N6, Canada
1 403-279-7777
Your going to spend about $30 rebuilding it if not more so go cheap!

when you pull the CV axle apart to rebuild it, take a file and mark the inner and outer rings in relationship to the body and keep the balls in an egg carton to keep organized and put them in like a clock time so 6 balls 1,2,3,4,5,6, they need to go back where they came from, do not mix it up. as long as there is no heavy scaring on the balls its good to go same with the rings. Go get some quality silicone grease for it too and use crimp rings for the new boots.

Last edited:

Bewtdi

TDI
2001 Golf
Thanks for the advice I think I'll rebuild the OEM one I have I took off the outer joint and going to get a new one tomorrow. Not sure if the inner one needs replacing or just the boot. It's about 150 at vw to get a new joint.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, didnt know you still had the old one, yea as long as its tight, just repack it
How did it fail? just the boot or was it shooting balls all over the driveway lol

Bewtdi

TDI
2001 Golf
It started making clicking noises so I decided to replace the axle not knowing i could have replace the boot alone. I also took off the outer joint as I heard that one goes first before the inner one. So I guess I have to get a new outer joint and inner boot and will be gtg Haha. I will know for next time to just replace the boot if I can. Save time and $. Thanks again for the advice .

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The outer boot should be the hard plasticy type that is OEM. If its rubber throw it right in the trash and use an OEM boot. The aftermarket rubber boots are all garbage and last about a year before splitting.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
ALL CV axles that are NOT made from OEM and basally not off the shelf from when the car was made are all garbage and you just pray that it lasts 1/4 the miles you had the last stock one. in my experience, about 100 axles though my hands, about 70% of them from NAPA, Autozone and the like type box store all fail within the first test drive to the next oil change. QC is garbage and the the finest chinesium is used full with the grit from sandblasting and all. avoid anything that says reman and so forth.
Bullsheet. Maybe in the states it's true, but not in rest of the world.
I know the manager of a workshop who services city Taxi cars.
They fit "Pascal" chinese brand + quality boot. Price of a single CV axle for VW Mk5/Mk6 platform is around 35-40 Euros. They drive long miles without any problems.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
so stop hogging them, you can have our duralast brand.
please send some our way lol

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
OP-Raxles (a vendor on here I believe) sells rebuilt OEM axles. Very easy to use core return process too. I have them and have no complaints at all! Others have had good luck with them too. Its another option if you don't want to rebuild them yourself.