Maybe I'm crazy, but may buy a tdi again

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Hello all, it's been a few years. I swore off vw 5 years ago after owning and 03 golf and an 01 Jetta that were nothing but trouble. I've had 5 over the years.
That said I'm looking at either a 14 or 15 golf wagon automatic. 64000 km on it, from a vw dealership. How reliable are they now? It's this or a CRV. Thoughts ?

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I love my 15 GSW, please be aware that there 14 and 15 wagon are entirely different platforms, with entirely different interiors. The 14s are Jetta’s and based on the Jetta platform, while the 15s are based on the golf platform.

The interiors on the 15s are a selling point for sure in my opinion. Never drive a 14, just saw the pics of the interior and decided I wanted a 15. I hear the 15s also have more sound insulation which is nice.

Make sure to do some research to find the differences between the 14s and 15s as there are a few that are important to note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Interior aside is the 15 a better vehicle mechanical/ reliablity wise? Sorry for not really looking but I'm buying a car tomorrow

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Oil changes are a tad worse on the 15s, if you do them yourself. Few other mechanical changes, but as far as I have read, the reliability is the same I believe.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I could have sworn I read somewhere that the 2014 and older models don’t have DPF. Personally the 15 models are the ones to get due to the upgraded modern creature comforts and newer styling as well as being stock on the golf platform which is sportier than the Jetta variants.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
The 14s are Jetta’s and based on the Jetta platform, while the 15s are based on the golf platform.
”Jetta” Sportwagens have always been based on the Golf platform. The “Jetta” was in name only until 2015 when they decided to rebrand it to match the rest of the world.

And with the exception of 2011-2018 (USA) Jettas, Jettas and Golfs shared the same platform. Granted it’s arguable that Jettas stopped being equal Golfs-with-trunks in 2010.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Oil changes are a tad worse on the 15s, if you do them yourself. Few other mechanical changes, but as far as I have read, the reliability is the same I believe.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I could have sworn I read somewhere that the 2014 and older models don’t have DPF. Personally the 15 models are the ones to get due to the upgraded modern creature comforts and newer styling as well as being stock on the golf platform which is sportier than the Jetta variants.

The older models do have DPFs, but not DEF. The space needed for the DEF tank results in a smaller fuel capacity, but I still get ~600 mile tanks on all highway trips.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
You owed two of the best TDI's VW ever made and had nothing but trouble? If I were you I would not buy another TDI.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
You owed two of the best TDI's VW ever made and had nothing but trouble? If I were you I would not buy another TDI.

Not to be nit picky but he didn’t say they were diesels. He just said VWs. They may have or may have not been TDIs.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
I really do enjoy the 2015 Golf sportwagen 6mt TDI. It's a nice car, and don't worry about DEF/DPF/turbo/hpfp until 2026 or 168K when the car comes out of warranty.

When the warranty is over, depending on your state you might not need to worry about the DPF/DEF at that point either. Consider you'll have 7 years of service from it covered by a great warranty - I'd buy one in a heartbeat again

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Hello all, it's been a few years. I swore off vw 5 years ago after owning and 03 golf and an 01 Jetta that were nothing but trouble. I've had 5 over the years.
That said I'm looking at either a 14 or 15 golf wagon automatic. 64000 km on it, from a vw dealership. How reliable are they now? It's this or a CRV. Thoughts ?

If you're missing great mpg's then the CRV won't fill the bill, and it will be a lot slower and boring to drive with problematic CVT's

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Hi, thanks for the responses. Yeah I've had 4 diesels my 01 Jetta was a bastard of a lemon, my 03 golf was annoying (multiple door sensors failed at 500 a pop) then the 01m tranny failed on my 03 golf. I understand mechanics but dont repair myself. So it's got pricey. I swore if vw and have owned Boring if not reliable vehicles since. My issue now is I'm getting divorced and I drive a lot 30,000k plus a year, 95% highway. My f150 while great is getting expensive. I've basically settled on the crv, good on gas not great, but practical. I have young kids and am outdoorsy.
Then I stumbled into the vw dealership and drove the 14 wagon...and loved it...FU vw

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They are selling off the buy back cars from the dieselgate fiasco. Find a 15 from a dealer that has a CPO warranty and check it over and buy it. They are about as cheap now as they will ever be. There are some low mileage ones still out there for a remarkably low price. They will have the extended emissions warranty as well as the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
This above comment is a huge reason I went 15 as well. Among the before mentioned creature comforts.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Granted it’s arguable that Jettas stopped being equal Golfs-with-trunks in 2010.
in 2011, my "golf with a trunk" still brings a tear to my eye thinking about the great miles i've piled on her.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
If I were driving 30K a year I'd be all over that TDI. Course I did look at a 14 vs a 15, the MK7 beat the Jetta by a lot IMHO. Getting ready to retire and plan to start racking up some road trip miles soon. Love filling it up at the pump with $35-$40 vs my F-350 at $110-$130.

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Well I'm back into a TDI again.
Bought the 2014 white golf wagon, Wolfsburg. DSG, 96k on it for $15,900. It's in awesome shape and someone was nice enough to install an after market back up camera, the electronic anti corrosion unit, nicely tinted and the 3M clear front cover. I'm going to do a unitronic 1+ tune and a 1 inch lift, metal skid plate and I'll be happy.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
That's CAD pricing.

You got my hopes up the prices were holding solid for higher mileage cars.