Need volunteers!

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Hey Y'all:

I was hoping to get at least ten of you with A4/ALH engines with five speed trannies to do me a favor. What I need is for you to set your engines to Top Dead Center on the flywheel's "0" mark (there's a pointer in the aluminum bellhousing timing hole) and then see if the v-notch in the serpentine belt's pulley matches the stamped notch in the lower sheetmetal timing belt cover. Now, I need the check to be as exact as possible so we can safely conclude (or not) that the timing marks on the passenger side of the engine are sufficient for setting crank TDC for a timing belt change. Post your results here.

Thanks!
Jim
dieselgeek.com

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
won't the sheet metal cover be removed during a belt change? as well as the serp.? I'll check it out tomorrow at work though. Unless I don't in which case I won't.

P.S. What about the three dots on the crank pulley? why are they even there?

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
If you were using the t-belt side marks for a TDC alignment then you would have to reinstall the lowest sheetmetal cover and the serpentine pulley after you put the new belt on. About the dots, I dunno about the dots. They are probably irrelevant.

Jim

Originally posted by runonbeer:
won't the sheet metal cover be removed during a belt change? as well as the serp.? I'll check it out tomorrow at work though. Unless I don't in which case I won't.

P.S. What about the three dots on the crank pulley? why are they even there?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
If I couldn't access the flywheel TDC mark then I would put correction fluid marks on the old belt and pulleys, then transfer the marks to the new belt, then line them up with the marks on the pulleys.

I never quite understood why VW feels it necessary to so accurately set the cam timing, other manufacturers don't. In any case, if your new belt is the same as old one was when it was new, then you should get the same cam and pump timing that the factory set.

You can check the pump timing with VAG-COM or similar.

I would also be sure to turn the engine over by hand a few times befoer starting it in case you get one tooth out (though this doesn't guarantee, as the hydraulic lifters won't be pumped up).