FS- 2000 MK4 Jetta TDI 5-speed Frederick, MD

dieseldoll

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2002 Jetta TDI
First, let me say even posting this here is a big deal for me...I am seriously attached to this car! But, having stumbled on a deal too good to pass up on a low-mileage 2002, I simply can't justify keeping both. It kills me to get rid of this car, but by starting the process here I am reasonably confident the next owner will love it as much as I did. I have not come up with a price yet but if I allow myself to procrastinate on posting this any longer, I will never get it sold...I'll just find another excuse to put it off! For now, all reasonable offers will be considered. Sigh. Here goes...

2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
256,446 miles (subject to change, still driven occasionally so it doesn’t feel neglected)
Black on black, cloth interior, no armrest

Link to pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/26419509@N02/sets/72157649790076006/

The good:
Avg 46-48 mpg on my daily 10-mile (mostly highway) commute each way. 50+ on highway trips easily.
This car takes off faster than my 2002 when you hit the pedal. I don’t know why, but this one has the most get-up-and-go of any car I’ve driven. (Not that I race, but I do like to get ahead of the jacka$$ who tries to pass me on the right. ;)
It is very clean, well maintained.
Drives straight
Engine purrs
Two flip keys, only one has working buttons (don't think it's a battery but maybe)
Hand-crank windows (no power crap to break)
AC works well, mixer doors are taped, occasionally a few bits of foam still blow up through the vents, despite my best efforts to get rid of it all.
I have owned since 2007/155k miles, oil changes done religiously every 10k with full synthetic.
New fuel/air filter
New wiper jet hose
New windshield
New relay 109
Intake cleaned in late 2012, solved performance/mpg issue
Many service records from 150k miles on (I purchased at 155k)
NO RUST (except some of the paint chips have minor surface rust, but I’ve been trying to stay ahead of them with touchup paint)

***I would drive this car from coast to coast without hesitation***

The bad:
TB is due (last done at 155k when I bought car)
Sagging headliner (was going to tackle this, but then got a deal on my 2002 I couldn’t pass up, so I will toss in a can of headliner adhesive with the sale)
Shifter boot looks 15 years old
Glove box is typical broken and just flops open when you pull the latch, the arm to lower it slowly snapped long ago.
Antenna doesn’t work great for radio stations
CD changer in trunk – cassette was inserted incorrectly and haven’t figured out how to remove it. CD changer is disconnected anyway from stock stereo (I forgot to plug it in when I put the stereo back and I don’t have the tool to remove the stereo again)
Driver’s door power lock doesn’t always lock with key fob, so I usually lock it with the key instead; however, unlock works fine with the button.
Small cigarette burn on one seat from PO. No lingering cigarette odor (I do not smoke)
Starting to consume a little oil, minor oil drip on driveway

The ugly:
January 2012 I hit a protruding manhole cover that was unmarked in an uncompleted residential development. Broke the oil pan, did minor damage to K-frame. Replaced oil pan & lower engine covers. This has not affected the performance at all, probably because I was smart enough to not try to drive it after it happened, so zero engine damage. The oil drip existed prior to the event, and has not worsened. I've driven it almost 40k since without issue.
Paint on hood chips frequently (looks like my car has acne) and the paint on the grill is very flaky. Again, doesn’t affect performance, so I just touched up what might rust.
Wheels have non-stock covers, and one is missing because Sears tire guy evidently didn’t put it back on correctly.

Contact with any questions, but that should about cover it. I will hate to let this one go.

Last edited: