2014 Jetta SEL vs 2015 Jetta SEL

Lochenjons

TDI
2013 VW Jetta
I can't really find an answer anywhere. Aside from the obvious differences (motor upgrades, adblue, driver's assistance pkg) and exterior restyling) what other differences are inside? Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2014 SEL would be more comparable to the 2015 SE?

It looks to me like the 2015 SEL gets:

dual climate control
right-side steering wheel controls
fog lights (i know thats not the interior)

I believe these options were never offered on the 2014 TDI SEL right?

Reason for my question is I have a friend who can get me a good deal on either a brand new 2014 SEL or a 2015 SEL. Obviously the price is more for the 2015. So if/when they are able to sell once the stop sale has been lifted I'm wondering what my options are.

Thanks

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
It is a different Steering wheel......the dashboard trim is different other than that not really any differences....if it was me I would buy the 15 Nicer car....

Gotenks

TDI
2015 Jetta Comfortline
100,000 trouble-free affordable kilometers on my 15 no regrets! Bought a vcds cable because running out of diesel fuel on the road strongly suggests priming the fuel pump before starting and the only way to do that is with the cable.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
100,000 trouble-free affordable kilometers on my 15 no regrets! Bought a vcds cable because running out of diesel fuel on the road strongly suggests priming the fuel pump before starting and the only way to do that is with the cable.
Why would you ever allow yourself to run out of Fuel? Especially with a Diesel vehicle? Just asking?:rolleyes:

Lochenjons

TDI
2013 VW Jetta
My 2015 Jetta TDI SEL has Fender Stereo, Backup Camera, Blind side monitor, front and rear Collision avoidance, HID AFS Headlights, it is a really Sweet car with the Manual Transmission and the EA288 Motor
That sounds sweet, probably gonna spring the extra $ for a '15. With all this dieselgate stuff going on they should cut me a pretty sweet deal. I checked out a 2015 today he let me into the back lot where all the stop sale cars are. Really nice car.

mmn

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6MT Sportline
My 2015 Sportline (Canada) - upgraded from a 2013 and have to say the extra features were worth the upgrade. Go for the 2015!

the_jeep_now

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI Premium
My 2015 Sportline (Canada) - upgraded from a 2013 and have to say the extra features were worth the upgrade. Go for the 2015!

That looks sweet! What kind of rims are those?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
I'm surprised nobody has said much, but the main difference is THE ENGINES!!

The 2014 has the EA189 engines and the 2015 has the EA288. The EA288 has DEF fluid, the EA189 does not. EA288 is more efficient, more powerful and does not have the common problems of the EA189 such as intercooler icing, and very frustrating, expensive and complex, High Pressure Fuel Pump failure.

Seriously, get a 2015. You will have complete peace of mind knowing it'll be a rock solid engine. Plus, the safety is better as VW updated the crash design, and there are more features(blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, HID headlights, Dual Zone Climate Control, etc.). You may spend more money, but if you end up in the 2014, you'll always wonder what it'd be like in the newer, nicer, more economical, more powerful and more reliable 2015 Jetta.

IAmTodd

TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6MT
I have a 2015 SEL and love it. I don't have the Driver Assistance/Lighting Package but added in bi-xenon lights myself. The nav system leaves much to be desired but the rest of the SEL perks are worth it.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI

The 2014 has the EA189 engines and the 2015 has the EA288. The EA288 has DEF fluid, the EA189 does not. EA288 is more efficient, more powerful and does not have the common problems of the EA189 such as intercooler icing, and very frustrating, expensive and complex, High Pressure Fuel Pump failure.

Seriously, get a 2015. You will have complete peace of mind knowing it'll be a rock solid engine. Plus, the safety is better as VW updated the crash design, and there are more features(blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, HID headlights, Dual Zone Climate Control, etc.). You may spend more money, but if you end up in the 2014, you'll always wonder what it'd be like in the newer, nicer, more economical, more powerful and more reliable 2015 Jetta.
actually structurally the 2014-2015 is the same car.....the changes were to the front and rear bumpers and the Interior trim and Steering wheel
like he said the Motor is the big change with an SCR System! and the added safety options which very few folks opted for because it was too expensive

vtbigdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
It does have one common problem...it is in litigation!

mmn

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6MT Sportline
That looks sweet! What kind of rims are those?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
VMR V710 18 inch, flat black. Nice wheels for the price, General Tire rubber. Definitely enjoy the wider stance compared to the 16 inch stock wheels I had on my 2013.

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
actually structurally the 2014-2015 is the same car.....the changes were to the front and rear bumpers and the Interior trim and Steering wheel
like he said the Motor is the big change with an SCR System! and the added safety options which very few folks opted for because it was too expensive
I know they're the same cars structurally, but they did do a minor redesign on the front end to improve crash results. Just take a look at the IIHS small overlap crash test on a 2011-2014 Jetta, then look at a 2015, the 2011-2014 car got a marginal rating, the 2015 got a good rating.

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
So the HPFP isn't as big of a worry on the 2015's as the earlier cars?
I love my 2015.
The HPFP failures isn't even much of a worry on earlier models, well before 2014. I read a statistic that you do have a higher chance of getting struck by lightning than having a HPFP failure. I got worried about the failure when a rash of them came onto the forum, but realized that people will do research once they have problems with their cars, and sure enough, 99% of people complaining about HPFP issues, registered to the forum the same day they posted their HPFP story.

But on a 2015+car, you will be A-OK. Tons of examples I've seen have had their EA288 cars misfuelled and ran dry of fuel, and the HPFP is intact. I did hear Bosch redesigned the pump and did a severe internal hardening and design change.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
If I'm not mistaken the 15 went back to a beam axel whereas the 14 has irs.
I have a 14 with everything except nav and fog lights.
From what I've heard the 15 sounds like a nicer choice with subtle upgrades.

I'm not am expert on this matter, but if you're looking to tune the car in the future look and see the cost/ease/and performance gains v.s. the 14 and 15 as they use different emissions systems.

Best of luck to you and you won't be disappointed with either choice you make.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
If I'm not mistaken the 15 went back to a beam axel whereas the 14 has irs.
I have a 14 with everything except nav and fog lights.
From what I've heard the 15 sounds like a nicer choice with subtle upgrades.

I'm not am expert on this matter, but if you're looking to tune the car in the future look and see the cost/ease/and performance gains v.s. the 14 and 15 as they use different emissions systems.

Best of luck to you and you won't be disappointed with either choice you make.

The 2015 Jetta has IRS.....the Golf and Sportwagen does not

Tornado TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
The HPFP failures isn't even much of a worry on earlier models, well before 2014. I read a statistic that you do have a higher chance of getting struck by lightning than having a HPFP failure. I got worried about the failure when a rash of them came onto the forum, but realized that people will do research once they have problems with their cars, and sure enough, 99% of people complaining about HPFP issues, registered to the forum the same day they posted their HPFP story.
But on a 2015+car, you will be A-OK. Tons of examples I've seen have had their EA288 cars misfuelled and ran dry of fuel, and the HPFP is intact. I did hear Bosch redesigned the pump and did a severe internal hardening and design change.
Thanks for the info. :)

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
That's for the 2015 Golf since it was too squished with IRS and the SCR system. Jetta does not have that problem, so they left it with IRS
Ah I see. All the more reason to go with the 15 it seems. I love IRS. Despite some claiming that there is no difference , blah blah blah.