2017 Chevy Cruze diesel

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
A friend was looking into one of these, or possibly getting a TDI. Just wondering if anyone has comments or heard anything on them. I know the first gen Cruze diesel had a bad reputation, although I'm not sure what for specifically.

Carfreak09

TDI
Na
I'm curious about this as well. C&D tested a diesel sedan with the 9 speed automatic and was impressed with how smoothly and quietly it drove. It posted 0-60 in 8.0 seconds, not bad at all for a 1.6 diesel with an automatic. They averaged 37 mpg and achieved 52 mpg at 75mph on the highway, besting its highway figure and leading to a possible 710 mile range. The manual is rated even higher (52 hwy) but hasn't been tested yet. They did say it's not as polished as the Golf, but overall it seems to be a decent car.

TX Smoke

TDI
2003 Beetle
My wife has a Cruze Diesel that I will be deleting next weekend:D

A trusted online source who has 14 Cruze really liked the few days he spent with the new one. He felt the lack lack of power was more than made up for by the lighter weight. Some of the Cruze folks like the new car better and some don't, my guess is the diesel will be fine for those who like the new car.

Now the problems with the old car are completely emissions related, I've yet to see one issue that was not related to a sensor in the exhaust pipe. My car is a joy to drive and was flawless for 45000 miles. My wife hit a deer and had the hood, grill and all the cooling apparatus replaced and it has needed to visit the dealer every couple of months for the last year and a half. I blame it all on an O2 sensor that got bent in the accident and was replaced. Every sensor downstream has now acted up and been replaced at least once all on GM's dime. A couple of weeks ago she took it in the have the O2 sensor replaced for the 3rd time and they found a NOX sensor which I didn't find when I scanned it and they wanted $900 because they won't do anymore warranty work on it. She laughed at them and told them she would just delete it all. They gave some big speech about it being illegal and fines and EPA so she said she will never buy another Chevy as she drove off. :D

I like it, it's fun to drive and gets good mileage if you don't go 85 on long trips like we do. Even at those speeds we get mid 40's, it's been to Vegas and Phoenix and next month were expecting to see better mileage when we go to see the Mouse in Florida with the new light weight exhaust. What I wish it had was a community like this to figure things out when the mechanical stuff starts to wear out.

If I had to make a guess, I would say the 2018 Cruze Diesel should be good, let them work through the bugs first. The diesel trucks had issues at first, but they are few and far between now, I think the cars and smaller diesel trucks are getting there as well.

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
My wife has a Cruze Diesel that I will be deleting next weekend:D

A trusted online source who has 14 Cruze really liked the few days he spent with the new one. He felt the lack lack of power was more than made up for by the lighter weight. Some of the Cruze folks like the new car better and some don't, my guess is the diesel will be fine for those who like the new car.

Now the problems with the old car are completely emissions related, I've yet to see one issue that was not related to a sensor in the exhaust pipe. My car is a joy to drive and was flawless for 45000 miles. My wife hit a deer and had the hood, grill and all the cooling apparatus replaced and it has needed to visit the dealer every couple of months for the last year and a half. I blame it all on an O2 sensor that got bent in the accident and was replaced. Every sensor downstream has now acted up and been replaced at least once all on GM's dime. A couple of weeks ago she took it in the have the O2 sensor replaced for the 3rd time and they found a NOX sensor which I didn't find when I scanned it and they wanted $900 because they won't do anymore warranty work on it. She laughed at them and told them she would just delete it all. They gave some big speech about it being illegal and fines and EPA so she said she will never buy another Chevy as she drove off. :D

I like it, it's fun to drive and gets good mileage if you don't go 85 on long trips like we do. Even at those speeds we get mid 40's, it's been to Vegas and Phoenix and next month were expecting to see better mileage when we go to see the Mouse in Florida with the new light weight exhaust. What I wish it had was a community like this to figure things out when the mechanical stuff starts to wear out.

If I had to make a guess, I would say the 2018 Cruze Diesel should be good, let them work through the bugs first. The diesel trucks had issues at first, but they are few and far between now, I think the cars and smaller diesel trucks are getting there as well.
If the engine / tranny starts acting up in your Cruze you could still get plenty of help from this site....Just have to figure out how to retro fit a 6 speed and ALH motor into it! ;-O

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The biggest problem is that a Cruz e is a piece of poo Chevy. After our Cavalier, my GD's Blazer and Equinox, Chevy is probably the last car of any brand we would ever buy. Really GM? You put stop leak in the radiators at delivery because you can't build cooling systems that don't leak?

Don't believe me? Go to a GM dealer and ask for their version of stop leak. They will come back with these little brown tablets complete with a GM part #, and yup, from what the parts guy told me they go int every new Chevy/GM.

With Diesel Cruze's being ins such small numbers, finding a Chevy tech that can work on them without destroying the engine will be tough. My BRM which is a lot more main stream can still get destroyed by VW dealers for things as simple as a timing belt.

Last edited:

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
We have a 2015 Cruze. Happy with it. It's been problem free. Still no rattles or creaks. Handles well. Has comfortable seats. More comfortable than our last Jetta, not as good as in our last Golf. Seats are not mushy soft like so many GM vehicles I remember.
What is really surprising is how quiet the cabin is. And the doors are substantial and go thunk in a way that suggests quality when they close, not tinny. Controls feel substantial. Ergonomics are good. Cruze was heavier than it's competition, a bit of a pig. Too much sound deadening?
New Cruze went on a diet and is much lighter vehicle. It's also noisier. More road noise in the cabin and overall not as quiet. Doors feel lighter and cheaper. Controls have been described as improved, too my taste the interior controls and materials just overall feel cheaper. Current Cruze does handle better.
I don't care for the new Cruze.
GM is making many quality products. And where else can you buy a diesel mid-size truck, a diesel manual transmission compact sedan, a diesel hatchback, a diesel compact SUV, or a full size diesel truck?

I know the first generation Cruze had some problems with def heater. Transmission programming was a bit goofy. Would not be surprised if the 2nd generation Cruze has some teething issues.

TX Smoke

TDI
2003 Beetle
I waited until the the 15's were almost out and really couldn't find anything that said the Diesel Cruze could have issues with the emissions system, that's why I pulled the trigger. Considering how uneventful the first 45000 miles were, I blame the problem on the computer not being able to adjust to a different sensor. Not sure how much of that is Chevy's fault and how much of it is the EPA standards. If not for that I would say it's a wonderful car. It's just as nice as the Lincoln MKZ it replaced, just a wee bit smaller and no cooled seats.

I thought it was a bit noisy inside when I got it so I've added about 25lbs of sound deadening to each door and the trunk and applied the same treatment to the underside of a set of Weather Tech mats. Nice and quite now and the doors close with that heavy thunk because they are.:D

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The biggest problem is that a Cruz e is a piece of poo Chevy. After our Cavalier, my GD's Blazer and Equinox, Chevy is probably the last car of any brand we would ever buy. Really GM? You put stop leak in the radiators at delivery because you can't build cooling systems that don't leak?
Don't believe me? Go to a GM dealer and ask for their version of stop leak. They will come back with these little brown tablets complete with a GM part #, and yup, from what the parts guy told me they go int every new Chevy/GM.
My Jetta had a disappearing coolant problem that the dealer couldn't find, so I always kept a bottle of VW coolant on hand. Maybe I should have tried this stuff, since it seems to work on all brands.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-3634...=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent#
With Diesel Cruze's being ins such small numbers, finding a Chevy tech that can work on them without destroying the engine will be tough. My BRM which is a lot more main stream can still get destroyed by VW dealers for things as simple as a timing belt.
Since Chevy has been selling diesels for years, I'm sure their diesel techs have a clue.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Since Chevy has been selling diesels for years, I'm sure their diesel techs have a clue.

And you think the VW Techs have a clue?!!!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We've been impressed (although not necessarily happy :rolleyes:) about the durability of the Cruze. Customers seem to have very few problems with them, not even with sensors. One of our team members bought one recently to replace his aging Subaru and he's very happy with it, especially after getting a tune. He's leaving the emissions systems in place for now.

I'm not a GM fan by any means, but the first gen Cruze diesel drives well and seems to be both reliable, and so far, durable. And it seems the next gen might be better.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta

Well, no. That is why you don't set foot in a VW service department after the warranty has run out.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier

I never said VW techs had a clue.

TX Smoke

TDI
2003 Beetle
Now that I've spent a week with the delete and tune I thought I should update.

The car is a blast to drive now, it ran well before, you had to deal with the GM throttle nanny in 1st and 2nd so it was slower off the line or when trying to jump into a spot in the next lane in heavy traffic. That's no longer an issue, now you have to take it a little easy to let the guy in front get out of the way. :D.

Seems to have picked up some MPG's as well, not enough to justify the price, I consider it an extended warranty mostly. :rolleyes:

Joe W

TDI
New 2017 Chevy Cruz Diesel leftover Nov 2018, Former 09 Jetta TDI
2017 Chevy Cruz Leftover

Just bought one for mid $18k brand new 11/30/2018, to finally replace my 2009 Jetta TDI. So far I am enjoying it. Had to get one before they stop selling them since Chevy has discontinued as of March 2019. Got a great deal. Happy as a pig in s**t.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
My Jetta had a disappearing coolant problem that the dealer couldn't find, so I always kept a bottle of VW coolant on hand. Maybe I should have tried this stuff, since it seems to work on all brands.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-3634...=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent#
That's the stuff I referred to earlier. Go to any Chevy dealer parts department. It fixed our piel of poo 1997 Cavalier and our Grand Daughters 2003 Equinox. The Equinox was particularly terrible. In just 1 day or so of driving, most of the coolant went out of the tail pipe.

How many of those Chevy Diesels had a timing belt?

Last edited:

vwgtiglx

TDI
2014 2.0 TD Chevy Cruze
All of the Gen. 1 - Cruze 2.0 Diesels have timing belts, scheduled to be changed at 97,500 miles. Pretty sure the Gen. 2 Cruze 1.5 Diesels have timing chains.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Just bought one for mid $18k brand new 11/30/2018, to finally replace my 2019 Jetta TDI. So far I am enjoying it. Had to get one before they stop selling them since Chevy has discontinued as of March 2019. Got a great deal. Happy as a pig in s**t.
Well since there hasn’t been a Jetta TDI here since 2015 that 2019 is a super rare beast......;)