How to do your buyback calculations (& post them here!)

Chacko

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
$5100 is not the "compensation amount". $5100 is simply the minimum buyback number no matter how much mileage is on the vehicle.
I've read the same calculation sheets as you. VW has stated the minimum compensation (their words and not mine) is $5100.

If your car has enough mileage on it that it's value on the open market is $0 then you are still getting $5100. That is the very definition of a compensation and you confirmed it's a fixed amount. Thank you for making my point for me.

Take the buy back #, make your mileage adjustment, and subtract $5100. Because we both agree the $5100 is the compensation amount. The other value is calculated as you would any other vehicle: Age, Mileage, Condition*, Options etc...

njn63

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
2009 Jetta SportWagon TDi
133,000 miles as of September 2015
DSG
Sunroof

$13,150 if I accept the proposed settlement.

A few major issues:

If I take the baseline 2009 Jetta SportWagon with 85,001-90,000 miles on it at $13,747 and subtract $5100 (the compensation amount) I get a car with a 09/2015 value of $8700.

That's B.S.

I should be at $14,750 using private part value as of 09/2015
There is no "compensation" amount. You are being made whole by getting the value of your car in September 2015 ($13,150).

You would get the "compensation amount" if you planned to keep your car as they need to reimburse you for your lower resale value when your car is sold at a later date.

Using my own personal example: I figured my car was worth ~15k when the dieselgate news hit and I'm getting 16k (plus the $1,000 from late last year). I'm not getting rich through this but I feel like that is a more than fair offer.

Last edited:

Chacko

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
There is no "compensation" amount. You are being made whole by getting the value of your car in September 2015 ($13,150).

You would get the "compensation amount" if you planned to keep your car as they need to reimburse you for your lower resale value when your car is sold at a later date.

Using my own personal example: I figured my car was worth ~15k when the dieselgate news hit and I'm getting 16k (plus the $1,000 from late last year). I'm not getting rich through this but I feel like that is a more than fair offer.
Not correct. Look at the mileage adjustment sheet the $5100 is not a variable. It is a constant that is part of the valuation equation. It's the Minimum that any owner is to receive above and beyond the value of the car including a car that would happen to have a $0 value.

VW is saying a 2009 with 85,001 - 90,000 miles is $13,747 with the $5100. Then you adjust for transmission, Nav, Sunroof, mileage. It's right there in black and white on the adjustment sheet.

Then tell me on the Jetta mileage adjustment table the WHY of the $5100 number? What does that number represent?

I'm honestly trying to see this from the other angle. The only thing I've managed to come up with is:

"
Cash Payments:
Class members will also receive cash payments in addition to the Buyback value or approved modification. The amount is the same whether one participates in the Buyback or modification program. The settlement agreement includes a formula for how this cash payment is determined. For example, most owners who purchased a 2.0-liter vehicle before September 18, 2015 will be eligible for a payment ranging from $5,100 to approximately $10,000 per vehicle. This cash is to be paid on top of the September 2015 Clean Trade-in value for class members participating in the Buyback Program. Benefits to class members cannot be reduced by attorneys’ fees. Fees and costs must be paid in addition by Volkswagen as approved by the Court."

My read is that this is the $5100 in the mileage adjustment equation. I'm ready to be corrected. But so far nothing has changed my mind and that this settlement is diminishing the PPV value of our cars.

Last edited:

njn63

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
I thought you were talking about the "modification" amount.

Read the buyback section again, important part is bolded:
http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl/proposed-settlement said:
Buyback If a Class Member who owns a car chooses a Buyback, the price Volkswagen will pay for that car is the September 2015 National Automobile Dealers Association (“NADA”) Clean Trade In value of the car adjusted for options and mileage (“Vehicle Value”). This figure is the value of the car in September 2015, before the emissions accusations became public. Owners receive their Vehicle Value, plus an additional cash payment (“Owner Restitution”). The Owner Restitution payment is calculated at 20% of the Vehicle Value plus $2,986.73. The minimum Owner Restitution payment for any Class Member—to be paid on top of the Vehicle Value—will be $5,100. Some Class Members may receive as much as approximately $10,000 in Owner Restitution.
You're referencing private party value instead of the trade in value that they're using.

Chacko

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
I thought you were talking about the "modification" amount.

Read the buyback section again, important part is bolded:

You're referencing private party value instead of the trade in value that they're using.
Ding, Ding, Ding.... We have a winner. I'm not trading my car in... I'm selling it. I'm a private party. I want private party value for my car after features, trim level, and mileage are figured in.

Then toss in $5100 in cash and let me walk away.

Trade in value takes about $2000 out of my pocket. If someone were to reach into your pocket and remove $2000 how would you react? The compensation is an entirely different matter. I'll deal with that on it's own merits.

njn63

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
If someone is giving me 3k over what something is worth I'm not going to be too worried about it. They're not "reaching in my pocket and taking 2k" just because I'm not getting 5k over what it is worth.

If VW had gone off of private party values they would have adjusted the cash compensation added to it to reach the same total amount.

Chacko

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
If someone is giving me 3k over what something is worth I'm not going to be too worried about it. They're not "reaching in my pocket and taking 2k" just because I'm not getting 5k over what it is worth.

If VW had gone off of private party values they would have adjusted the cash compensation added to it to reach the same total amount.
I get that point. It's not lost on me. But VW had to know the blow back about valuing the cars at trade in when cars aren't being traded in. They are being sold back.

I and others are taking them to task for this and I believe rightly so. This is why I keep the $5100 out of the argument. These are two separate issues and should stay separate to keep confusion to a minimum.

njn63

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
...let's be honest here. No matter what VW did you were going to find a reason to complain.

At the end of the day you are getting offered well above market value for your car and arguing over the semantics in how they reached that number is a waste of time. Good luck getting what you are "owed."

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
...let's be honest here. No matter what VW did you were going to find a reason to complain.

At the end of the day you are getting offered well above market value for your car and arguing over the semantics in how they reached that number is a waste of time. Good luck getting what you are "owed."
^^^^^^

A good point. Anyone is free to opt out of the settlement and pursue other avenues to get what they think is fair. And good luck with that.
According to the settlement tables, if we hang onto our Passat until the end of the buyback period, we will have bought a new car and driven it for 5 years for less than $500, of course not counting fuel and maintenance. I believe that this is fair.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
<snip>
According to the settlement tables, if we hang onto our Passat until the end of the buyback period, we will have bought a new car and driven it for 5 years for less than $500, of course not counting fuel and maintenance. I believe that this is fair.
Seems the deal gets better the longer you take to finalize it.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
I'm not missing a beat here. Different models and years are seeing different compensation amounts.

That amount should be fixed. Why should one owner of a 2009 SportWagon get $5100 and another not? That should be a fixed known quantity. We are all equally harmed and the $5100 is the proposed remedy.

The 2nd portion is "what is your car worth?". Take the car, start the valuation at the model year, trim level, options, and 1042 miles per month that the car is old and set it at private party value.

That is the base adjusted zero'd out scale. Then it is adjusted -/+ for mileage. I simply want what my car was worth in 09/2015 and it wasn't $8600. If it was someone would find something, anything, that would agree with that.
Two part to get the number:
1. Vehicle value - NADA pre-9/15 clean trade +- options +- mileage adjusted back to 9/15 at 1042 a month
2. Owner Restitution - 20% of 1 + $2986.73 (minimum $5100)

So the only real question remaining is if NADA value is accurate or not, and if not, proving it. You could look at if there was a means to pull autotrader or cars.com adds that were posted 9/1/15 from somewhere. That's going to be the bulk of the cars offered for sale, if you run the numbers and none could be bought for the base + mileage (no 1042 adjustment, the car is already back at 9/15) + options, you have a valid complaint.

DOJ requires replacement retail price, that's what a list of adverts from 9/1/15 would provide. It would be interesting to see if there is systematic undervalue in the method.

Chacko

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon

So you can't debunk the $5100 in compensation? Just like I thought.

I am being honest. It's a distrust of VW dealing fairly that is at the heart of the issue.

Don't co-mingle the buy back and 'compensation' and then apply, what is confusing to a lot of people, what looks like a math word problem.

Just provide a way to value the car plus the FIXED compensation. It's that simple.

6 months ago I was calling for PPV + 20% of the MSRP as of August 2016. That's much easier to understand. Another disingenuous portion of this is that this cheating was known in June of 2016 to the public and not September and the actual cheating was discovered in 2014.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
Thanks. Why is this lost on so many?
NADA is far more respected as being accurate than KBB, or 'listings on autotrader'. NADA tracks actual completed sales, NOT listings - which is why banks and insurance companies trust NADA far more than they do KBB. If anything, the only issue some might have is using the NADA trade-in value - but after you add the 20%, you are up higher than the retail values anyway - the older ones even get an additional boost due to the 5,100 minimum pushing the total up a few hundred more as well.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Thanks. Why is this lost on so many?
Like you said, the computation was put together like a story problem. Folks can't do math, see a big Column 1 number and ignore how it came to be.

That's one of the comments to the FTC whenever they open their comment period. Actively helping to further the confusion. There's two parts, buying the car back, and paying for the cheat. Using the pay for the cheat money to make the car value look better is simply wrong. One should on the surface be able to determine, this is what my car is worth, this is what the settlement for cheating is, not have to figure it out. But they want folks to jump for a big number they see, without understanding what it is.

njn63

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
Like you said, the computation was put together like a story problem. Folks can't do math, see a big Column 1 number and ignore how it came to be.
It's more that people don't care. I have better things to worry about than how VW arrived at giving me well over market value in September 2015 for my car. I don't see how anything they did means I should receive $5100 in damages (on top of the retail value of my car) and would love to hear how any of you justify that number independent of the total settlement amount.

You guys are losing the forest for the trees. When you trade in a car do you worry that the amount they are giving for the trade in is full value or do you look at the entire deal?

Chacko

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
NADA is far more respected as being accurate than KBB, or 'listings on autotrader'. NADA tracks actual completed sales, NOT listings - which is why banks and insurance companies trust NADA far more than they do KBB. If anything, the only issue some might have is using the NADA trade-in value - but after you add the 20%, you are up higher than the retail values anyway - the older ones even get an additional boost due to the 5,100 minimum pushing the total up a few hundred more as well.
Thanks. This is the only point I'm trying to make the NADA values are stratified based on how the vehicle is being sold.

I mean why not look at auction value if we are to be pedantic?

My complaint isn't the compensation. I'll take 20% + $2900. Just base it on the PPV and not the trade in.

Then I'll be satisfied and felt treated fairly by VW. Sorry that some feel I'm asking for too much. Please remember I don't get input on the 'compensation' but I should be allowed to complain about the private sale value.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>

Then I'll be satisfied and felt treated fairly by VW. Sorry that some feel I'm asking for too much. Please remember I don't get input on the 'compensation' but I should be allowed to complain about the private sale value.
Your feelings do matter

AFAIAC ~~~~ complain all you want.

Individually (now) I'm OK ~~ more or less.

But 10-11 months ago people (me included) were messed over big time, emotionally and financially (as their car dropped to heck and back)

Thing I remember most (after joining the CAS) were the skeptics saying we were foolish and the sharks would get all, and we would get a coupon for a car wash.

Personally, I intend to (politely) write the Judge ~~ Can't hurt, and I will feel like I had a (small) say in this mess. :rolleyes:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's more that people don't care. I have better things to worry about than how VW arrived at giving me well over market value in September 2015 for my car. I don't see how anything they did means I should receive $5100 in damages (on top of the retail value of my car) and would love to hear how any of you justify that number independent of the total settlement amount.

You guys are losing the forest for the trees. When you trade in a car do you worry that the amount they are giving for the trade in is full value or do you look at the entire deal?
A trade-in is a (2) two part transaction.

If you sell your car (on the curbstone) you should be able to profit by many $$$$s ~~~ really works well for persons who have low mile, garage kept, one owner cars.

Then you are free to buy your new ride at the cheapest (clean) net price.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI

That's one of the comments to the FTC whenever they open their comment period. Actively helping to further the confusion. There's two parts, buying the car back, and paying for the cheat. Using the pay for the cheat money to make the car value look better is simply wrong. One should on the surface be able to determine, this is what my car is worth, this is what the settlement for cheating is, not have to figure it out. But they want folks to jump for a big number they see, without understanding what it is.

My
used cars have always been curbstone value.

More or less last year, when I sold wife's Camry, and my VW gasser ~~ I 'bout doubled the clean trade NADA value

njn63

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
A trade-in is a (2) two part transaction.

If you sell your car (on the curbstone) you should be able to profit by many $$$$s ~~~ really works well for persons who have low mile, garage kept, one owner cars.

Then you are free to buy your new ride at the cheapest (clean) net price.
He's treating a private party sale as a 2 part transaction though. ;)

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, what's your point?
Originally Posted by autdi

My point was showing empathy and understanding to persons who were harmed by this vw mess.

There WILL be individuals who come out better (even MUCH better ~~ or worse) under near identical circumstances.

Even if it is 110% fair to 120% of the 450,000 of us ~~ many will have long lasting doubts about their final choice.

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG

Both cars will be sold back to VW. My Wife is eyeballing a Tiguan, and I am looking at a GTI...a Golf R if I can stretch far enough.

Neither car was worth over $14k before Dieselgate, we will be cashing out. The option for repair is what we consider somewhat suicidal. The process will be plagued with delays, warranty problems, part installation errors, further value depreciation, etc. We are planning of washing our hands from the ordeal and cashing those checks.

Last edited:

JRSYJET

TDI
13 Passat TDI SE 6M
When I trade in, I make it a one term transaction. My offer is my present car (trade-in), plus specific dollar amount. In doing so, I've told my counterpart across the table 2 things. First & foremost, my offer. Secondly, the dealer is free to adjust trade in value and/or new car price. Money difference. Try it! And, when they return from trade appraisal, I have a slip of paper on the table with my guess as to their 'offer'.

njn63

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
My point was showing empathy and understanding to persons who were harmed by this vw mess.
I think we need an interview process to determine true damage compensation.

"Show me on the model where the evil corporation hurt you."
*hands customer a 1:24 diecast model of a Jetta*