Rattle at low rpm and clutch pedal vibration

dilkie

TDI
'01 Golf, '06 Golf, 90 Jetta
Okay,

This one has me stumped.

2006 Golf BEW engine. 160Km.

This started about a month ago when I was in Florida and at the time I thought it was bad fuel, but I don't believe it is any more.

When accelerating, through the low rpm's (up to ~1.5K) there is a lot of vibration. If you put your foot lightly on the clutch pedal you can feel it, and it also is there if you let off on the throttle. You can also feel it in the throttle but far less than the clutch.

If the engine is cold, there is no accompanying sound, but once the engine warms up, there is a "rattle" on deceleration only as the engine passes through ~900 rpm.

When idling, when clutch out in neutral, there is a clatter/rattle that comes and goes. With the clutch depressed, in neutral, it is much more noticeable. Blipping the throttle brings out the rattle as the engine passes below 1000 rpm on the way to idle.

No power loss, no fuel economy loss.

I can get a recording of the sound if anyone wants.. It's got me stumped.

Things that I can think of, clutch, release bearing, flywheel?

Or maybe something engine related like cam or pistons falling off :) Oh, if I turn off the engine while decelerating in gear, the pedal vibration is still there.

Ideas?

-lee

dilkie

TDI
'01 Golf, '06 Golf, 90 Jetta
Okay, got onto youtube and listened to some DMF posts and that is what I am hearing. So it "sounds" like I have a DMF failure in the works.

Question, how bad is this? Should I park the car until it's fixed or can I drive it?

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
You can probably drive it. Worst failure I had on a client's car was that the flywheel failed and prevented the engine from turning. Did read of worse ones though - pieces coming through bell housing...