Traction control light abnormalities

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
So I was driving home today and while in 3rd gear and going around a a curve, the car started to surge. I looked at the gauges and the ESC light is flashing on and off. I come out of the curve and it stops.

Last week I replaced all the suspension bushings, shocks, struts and springs. I have never had this issue prior to the suspension work. I don’t think it could be related and the fact that is has only happened going through corners (I have seen the light flash on a time or too when going hard through a corner since last week).

Has anyone ever had a similar issue or know what might be causing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The traction control system is heavily dependent on the speed sensors located on each wheel hub.

Since this is the same location where you've recently done major work there may actually be a connection...might make sense to pull the tires and carefully inspect the toothed wheels and associated sensor + wiring.

Alternatively there may be codes set... a VCDS scan might be helpful too. In particular, the ABS system may have something to say.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
The traction control system is heavily dependent on the speed sensors located on each wheel hub.

Since this is the same location where you've recently done major work there may actually be a connection...might make sense to pull the tires and carefully inspect the toothed wheels and associated sensor + wiring.

Alternatively there may be codes set... a VCDS scan might be helpful too. In particular, the ABS system may have something to say.

There are no codes, checked that already. As I reassembled the car, I was checking each sensor and plugs. I will check them again next week when I can get back under it. The only thing I have noticed is that is has only done it when going around curves and in 3rd gear. Direction of curve has not been the same the 2 times I saw it today.

The first time today I was accelerating in a tight turn and figured it was a little wheel spin, the time I realized what was going on was a long curve at light to medium throttle.

May have a ring that’s been damaged, but it’s very specific when it happens.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
In a curve one set of wheels is spinning at a different speed than the other set... and if a sensor is running amuck I suppose it could amplify the discrepancy and trick the ECU into thinking that the wheel is actually skidding.

The ECU would then feather the throttle (to control the skid) and cause the car to surge, since all 4 wheels are actually on solid ground. It tells you it's taken control by flashing the ECS light... which appears to line up with what's happening to you.

Just a theory, of course...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did you take any of the axle nuts loose and not get one of them back on tight enough?

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Did you take any of the axle nuts loose and not get one of them back on tight enough?

None of the axle but we’re removed during the suspension work. Would have been an easier job with the struts if we had though.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
In a curve one set of wheels is spinning at a different speed than the other set... and if a sensor is running amuck I suppose it could amplify the discrepancy and trick the ECU into thinking that the wheel is actually skidding.

The ECU would then feather the throttle (to control the skid) and cause the car to surge, since all 4 wheels are actually on solid ground. It tells you it's taken control by flashing the ECS light... which appears to line up with what's happening to you.

Just a theory, of course...

I’m thinking I need to do some logging on the wheel speed sensors to determine which one is or may be acting up. Just odd how it seems to have done it in the same gear every time I’ve seen it.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you have vcds you can watch the speed of each wheel. Replicate the conditions that cause the problem and one of the wheel sensors should show a significant difference in speed. It’s probably a good idea to use a helper either to drive or watch the computer screen.

After identifying the wheel look first at all the work you did and then at the possibility that you may have damaged something, wire, sensor, tone ring etc

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Since an '06 has ESP, which includes a steering angle sensor, the program would take into account the slight speed differences in a pair of wheels one of which is on the inside of the turn vs the other wheel on the outside.

Dh has some fun ahead in figuring this out. Please return and report when you find the solution.

Cheers,

PH

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
I did some logging at most the difference between sides was 2 kph. After I logged I went on a another drive and pushed it a bit harder and noticed that I was getting some wheel spin, but no wheel hop like I used to before the rebuild.

It may be possible that I am getting some slight slipping that I can’t feel like I used to because everything is more solid.

Is that a possibility?

Still gonna try and do a good logging again being more aggressive and see if I can find the speed difference where the esc kicks in.

Last edited: