good forum for the gassers?

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
We're looking at a Touareg, but we may end up going with a gasser as the TDI's seem to be few and far between in our area (Birmingham, AL). I've had my Jetta TDI for 13 years (I've been on this forum at least that long); so, I definitely appreciate the TDI... just not sure we'll have a lot of TDIs with the options that we want.

Any trusted forums out there for the gasoline engines? I wanted to read up on them.

Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is Club Touareg.

VW Vortex has a subforum.

Or you could ask me. ;)

(personally I am not a huge fan of the T'reg, but I would for sure stay away from the VR6 powered ones... the older V8s were not too bad).

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
There is Club Touareg.

VW Vortex has a subforum.

Or you could ask me. ;)

(personally I am not a huge fan of the T'reg, but I would for sure stay away from the VR6 powered ones... the older V8s were not too bad).

Thanks. Are the VR6's just badly designed or unreliable? We're looking at a 2016 or 2017.

oilhammer

TDI
VAG has a bad time with chains, and the VR6s use two of them. However, the engine also has a problem with occasionally needing a valve cover, as the breather pressure regulator is contained within it, and you have to take the intake manifold off to change it, and while it might not look that bad to do, it is. The direct injected engines require one of the fuel rails be pulled off first, then the intake manifold.

The vacuum pump buried on the back end of the engine also starts leaking oil, which requires.... pulling that darn manifold off for access.

The catalysts are not the longest lasting... and there are two of them.... $700 each, about four hours worth of work to change those.

There are several items on the back end of the head that like to leak oil beside the above mentioned vacuum pump. Like the cam sensors and phasers.

There are also not one, not two, but THREE water pumps.... the two electric ones are a royal pain to access, and they fail far too often than they should.

Thermostat? Well at least the later VR6s they made those so you do not have to remove the engine to change. Seriously. Not kidding. A 12 hour thermostat.

But the VR6's cooling system still remains a complex mess buried in a very difficult to access spot, down below the intake manifold. You have to remember, the VR6 engine came about as a way to shoehorn a larger engine sideways into a FWD car. Why they decided to use them longways in the T'reg is beyond me. The rest of the longitudinal cars use the conventional 90 degree V6s. You'd think with an engine bay big enough to swallow much larger engines (there are not only V8s, but V10s and even a V12 :eek:) that the "little" VR6 would have plenty of room to make it easy to service. And in fact, when you first open the hood, it does appear that way... until you literally have to do ANYTHING to one besides maybe spark plugs. Even changing the oil is a pain, because the cartridge oil filter is underneath in a location that strategically barfs oil all over the steering rack, the control arm, and other bits... and that assumes the filter's drain still works properly (most get rounded out by idiots).

I will say, while it is certainly working for its pay, the VR6 (especially the later DI 3.6L) does at least get the portly 2.5 ton SUV down the road OK. Better than you'd expect. But looking at the tach have to visit the right side so much during "normal" driving will merit the abysmal fuel economy.

But the T'reg no matter what powers it tends to eat tires and brakes with alarming speed. The air suspension seems great, until it leaks. And they ALL do eventually. Again the later ones are marginally better.

They tear up driveshafts a lot. I have some customers here on shaft #3 before 90k miles. Luckily you can get them in the aftermarket now... for only $500 or so (less than the dealer).

Good news is, these things tank in value like crazy. So buying one used may put you ahead if you can stomach it taking chunks of your bank account now and then. My friend and mentor bought a decked out V8 model new for $65k, and sold it ten years and 120k well cared for miles later for less than $5k. That's nuts. And it was in flawless condition. The Q7s and Cayennes are even more of a money fire. We see VR6 Cayennes going through auction for less than $3k :eek: Nobody wants them.

Kind of a shame, really, because the bulk of the vehicle is not too bad. Seats, steering, suspension (assuming it has the regular coil springs), switchgear, transmission, differentials, paint, interior, etc. are generally not too bad. Shrunken sunroof drain tubes can and have caused all sorts of problems, but can be remedied without too much stress.

But at the end of the day, Volkswagen's Stupid Useless Vehicle is probably not any better than a Jeep Grand Cherokee and worse than a Toyota 4Runner and while I am Volkswagen's biggest fan I do not see any desire to own one. The V10 TDI is cool just because, but I can see no really good reason to own one and certainly would not want to depend on one as my only conveyance.

Oh, and for the record, the B6 Passat wagon has more interior volume, and was also available with AWD (even here!). ;)

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
Geez... sounds like we should run, not walk, away from those. Sounds like an awful design.

The B6 wagon is an interesting suggestion; we may look at those instead.

oilhammer

TDI
Well the B6 has its own share of issues. And of course, you'd be looking at something much older. Although it would still be less costly to keep on the road.

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
Ah, I was confused about the B6... I was thinking it was a more current platform. We want something 2016 or 2017 MY

We may just look at one of the Subaru or Mazda options; we were leaning towards those anyway, but were impressed with how nice the Treg is once we actually looked at one.

oilhammer

TDI
Why not look at one of the Audi [car] models then? You couldn't give me a Subaru... and Mazdas are hit and miss, still a fair amount of Ford floating around in them, although the newer ones do seem to be pretty well put together.

The Audi A6 is a really nice car. Roomy, comfortable, and solid. Feels like a chunk of granite cruising at 100+. The A4 is a smaller version, and the Q5 is based on the A4 if you are still on the SUV thing (the Q5 I suppose would be more of a "crossover" but anymore those lines seem so blurred to me anyway, and I see them from underneath too, so I guess I have a different perspective).

Not a fan of the VAG EA888 engines, although for an Audi A4 or higher, I might put up with it. Especially on something that new.

And while rare, you could get the V6 TDI in the Audi Q5, A6, A7, and even the big A8L (which is an otherworldly-awesome car, that somehow manages to tag 40 MPG on the highway, and it is HUGE).

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
Why not look at one of the Audi [car] models then? You couldn't give me a Subaru... and Mazdas are hit and miss, still a fair amount of Ford floating around in them, although the newer ones do seem to be pretty well put together.

The Audi A6 is a really nice car. Roomy, comfortable, and solid. Feels like a chunk of granite cruising at 100+. The A4 is a smaller version, and the Q5 is based on the A4 if you are still on the SUV thing (the Q5 I suppose would be more of a "crossover" but anymore those lines seem so blurred to me anyway, and I see them from underneath too, so I guess I have a different perspective).

Not a fan of the VAG EA888 engines, although for an Audi A4 or higher, I might put up with it. Especially on something that new.

And while rare, you could get the V6 TDI in the Audi Q5, A6, A7, and even the big A8L (which is an otherworldly-awesome car, that somehow manages to tag 40 MPG on the highway, and it is HUGE).

Hmm... we've not previously looked at the Audi's, but those are good suggestions. The Q5 seems like a good option for what we're looking for, so I'll review that one.